Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Default HOME MADE BASES.

I have now based my first three Langton ships using my acrylic sheet material.
    Here they are.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by Bligh; 09-18-2020 at 09:08.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Last edited by Bligh; 09-18-2020 at 09:09.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Tomorrow I hope to fet the two gunboats finished.
    Rob....
    Last edited by Bligh; 09-18-2020 at 09:10.

These turned out beautifully Rob!

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Thanks Vol.
    I will now try a few more improvements on the next batch.
    Rob.

What is the thickness? Is it sufficent for fumble fingered gamers would would otherwise pick up models by the masts?

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Hi Eric.
    The base is 3mm blue perspex sandwitching the Ship card printed on heavy weight photographic paper. with 3mm clear acrylic over that bringing it to the same thickness as the official bases. The join in the two pieces actually gives a better grip than the official ones with their slight camber.
    Rob.

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Neatly done there Rob, my contact is back on line now, do you still want me to ask about bases ?

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Yes please Chris.
    You can never have too many spare bases.
    Rob.

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    Yes please Chris.
    You can never have too many spare bases.
    Rob.
    Have found out why not been able to contact the man about the bases, he sold up... so am trying to source a new option, will keep you informed

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Thanks Chris, but don't worry over it because I have plenty to be going on with so there is no real panic. If you have no luck I am OK.
    Rob.

Midshipman
    Australia

Log Entries
    Name
    Gary

Hi Rob. They look really good. How did you join the blue base to the clear top and do the cards slip in or are they forever fixed in the sandwich? This half reminds me of the Waiter/Assistant Waiter name clear blocks on the dining room tables on cruise ships. Those are way too thick for our games though.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Baxter View Post
    Hi Rob. They look really good. How did you join the blue base to the clear top and do the cards slip in or are they forever fixed in the sandwich? This half reminds me of the Waiter/Assistant Waiter name clear blocks on the dining room tables on cruise ships. Those are way too thick for our games though.
    Thanks Gary.

The bases have the card glued on as all my bases official or otherwise are permanent because I bought one of each ship for both sides of all the cards so I never need to change them. The joining of the two sheets of perspex was more problamatical. I used perspex weld on a trial bit of offcut and it eworked fine. However, I had misjudged the
    fact that when the card was incerted the gap was too big for the weld to work so I was reduced to putting a spot of gap filler superglue on each corner. That did the trick, and once te sides of the clear perspecs wer painted blue to kill the reflection along the sides it looked fine.

Rob.

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Well done, Rob! Those look very good.

Able Seaman
    France

Log Entries
    Name
    Roméo

Everything looks wonderful, Rob. Great job as usual ! The bases are really a knockout !
    "Les passions sont les vents qui enflent les voiles du navire ; elles le submergent quelquefois, mais sans elles il ne pourrait voguer."
    "Passions are the winds that fill the sails of a ship ; they sometimes overwhelm her, but she could not sail without them."- Voltaire

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Thanks Romeo. It now opens the way to do as many non Ares ships as I like.
    Rob.