I've had my starter set for a while but lost my opponents in a house move early on.
Now my son is eleven I've got a ready made opponent, I've sold it to my wife as making history fun too....

To this end I picked up some cheap ship packs from an ebay seller and so have a somewhat disparate fleet.
I wonder if you guys would look at them and suggest matchups that would be in the region of balanced for relative beginners?

I have the four starter ships, and:

SAILS OF GLORY SGN110C PETIT ANNIBAL 1782 / LEANDER 1798
SAILS OF GLORY SGN109B PROTEE 1772 / EVEILLE 1772
SAILS OF GLORY SGN103C HMS ORPHEUS 1780
SAILS OF GLORY SGN111B REAL CARLOS 1787 / CONDE DE REGLA 1786

Not having chosen based on matchups I temporarily have a pretty mixed bag, I will be adding some more beautiful models as time goes on

From your experience what combinations would work?

I'm willing to sacrifice any historical representation, I'd be happier with the ships of each nation only being represented on one side is all, and I'd be very happy to be trying some battles asymmetric in terms of ships per side.
Another factor to use for balance might be legacy damage from a prior engagement or designating one ship a prize with only manoeuvre crew and recapturing or destroying it an objective for the opposition

My son being eleven really likes scenarios where he gets to shoot without being shot much in return ;0) - he really feels the hits! (oh how those slings and arrows are outrageous!)

For myself I just love beautiful ships plunging through the waves and the grubby cotton wool of the smoke of battle! Let him win, I already did ;0)

Any clever help you guys could be would be very welcome indeed

Many thanks, dROU