Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's on your workbench for September?

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Default What's on your workbench for September?

Now well underway with the Galleys.
    Hulls painted and basic coats going onto the upper works.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jason

Only Napoleon's landlubbers on my (very messy) workbench at the moment:

Name:  342F8A39-49AE-4366-9ECA-3E977143C898_1_201_a.jpg
Views: 1058
Size:  231.5 KB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Just can't keep up with the pace shipmates.
    Yet another package arrived today. Within was another Spanish Frigate ripe for converting and all at a price of £9.99

Rob.

The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Today I has been mainly gluing sails together.
    Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Sails glued, and masts added today. Now undercoated and ready for those stripes.
    Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Sails now painted and being tried in the ships deck for fit prior to having their masts painted.
    Rob.

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Gunsmith's quoting two weeks on having my parts ready for pickup, a week of that is waiting for the Napa Green finish to ship and arrive--it's a new and low-demand color so they don't make a lot of it.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB
    Historical Consultant to Ares, Wings and Sails - Unless otherwise noted, all comments are strictly Personal Opinion ONLY and not to be taken as official Company Policy.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I will be Intrigued to see the finished parts DB.
    Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Today I have only got the masts painted and stepped them by drilling the holes in the deck deeper so nothing to show really.
    Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Galleys all finished and ready for basing.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Today I started making some of my own bases for my Langton ships to free up some of the official bases as spares.
    Rob.
    Last edited by Bligh; 10-19-2020 at 10:01.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Just starting the gunboats.

Rob.
    Last edited by Bligh; 10-19-2020 at 10:01.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Digital project, taking another run at a bargraph chart of SGN (and potential reprint) ship lifespans. Right now on 8.5x11 pages with 1/2" margins in landscape, just 1745-1816 with whole year increments is FOUR PAGES across!
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB
    Historical Consultant to Ares, Wings and Sails - Unless otherwise noted, all comments are strictly Personal Opinion ONLY and not to be taken as official Company Policy.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

That will be a great asset to suplement what you have already done for us DB.
    Rob.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Seriously, at 10-point fonts, you could print this thing out and wallpaper your entire game-room with it...
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Masts now glued and masts positioned ready for undercoating.
    Last edited by Bligh; 10-19-2020 at 10:00.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Name:  20200913_190013.jpg
Views: 876
Size:  130.6 KB

Thanks to a posting by Clipper some time ago, I invested in the goodies to make molds. Soon I shall have a whole squadron of cutters!

Name:  20200913_190045.jpg
Views: 883
Size:  135.9 KB

The real reason for my recent absence here. After her most extensive refit, she goes in the water Tuesday for our Fall cruise (traveling with games)!

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Very fine both boats look Dobbs.
    I trust you will enjoy your cruise and keep us informed on your progress.
    Next model cutter you make, would you give us a picture and comment at each stage, for those new shipmates who may not have seen Clippers post.
    Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

This is my progress for today. Sails now painted and just the guns to paint tomorrow and masts to shorten.
    Rob.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Rob, just to give you some Nightmare Fuel, right now the ONLY 2-deckers I have in the chart are the Temeraires and at one cell per flag/ship/year combination, that's 144 potential models and a TWENTY PAGE timeline. I expect it to not quite double when I get the Slade 74's and similar fed in... hell, by the time I get all the Third Rates fed in Dobbs could probably have somebody ink it on fabric and use it as a sail for his boat.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Talking of ink DB, I will start stocking up on black ink cartridges then.
    Rob.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Better make it full sets, I color-code to ID country and existing releases. :)
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Ship cards for the Galleys now completed.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Now got the gunboats Based and ready for action.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Last edited by Bligh; 09-20-2020 at 03:41.

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    What was this?

I finally got some time, with all of the wildfire smoke, to work on these guys again.

Name:  20200919_205535.jpg
Views: 791
Size:  165.5 KB
    Original brig on the left. 22 gun corvette created from two brigs, and a 12 gun naval cutter created from the two remaining brig hull pieces.

Name:  20200919_205639.jpg
Views: 858
Size:  102.3 KB
    Name:  20200919_205649.jpg
Views: 826
Size:  103.5 KB
    Name:  20200919_205709.jpg
Views: 814
Size:  127.9 KB
    Name:  20200919_205723.jpg
Views: 744
Size:  118.0 KB
    Name:  20200919_205758.jpg
Views: 796
Size:  99.0 KB

Standing rigging finished on the corvette and cutter tonight. Now I need to make the spars for the sails and mount them on the brig.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

They are looking superb Vol!
    When I get back I will repost the missing pictures of the other gunboat.
    Can't imagine where that went?
    Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

There you go!I hope they stay up this time.
    Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Just arrived this morning.
    Now I can get to grips with my US squadron for the Med.
    Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Gunboat cards now completed.
    Next the ship logs to consider.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Gary

Gunboats always make me giggle, some mad person must've gone "I have a raft, and I've recently got this cannon... I can make this work"
    No-one expects a ship full of dwarves.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Remember the Snotling factor Gary.
    Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

At last my North African Sultan's ships are out at sea. Now we can start their baptism of fire!
    Rob.

That's a formidable looking fleet you have there. Should give those upstart Americans some serious trouble!

The Black Sails brig bash ships are complete.
    Name:  20200927_161634.jpg
Views: 735
Size:  200.3 KB
    Name:  20200927_162417.jpg
Views: 740
Size:  223.4 KB
    With my experimental acrylic bases
    Name:  20200927_165101.jpg
Views: 676
Size:  216.8 KB

Name:  20200927_162502.jpg
Views: 687
Size:  211.9 KB
    Name:  20200927_162701.jpg
Views: 756
Size:  184.8 KB
    Name:  20200927_173522.jpg
Views: 627
Size:  148.0 KB

More pics https://volsminiatures.blogspot.com/...-bash.html?m=1
    Last edited by Volunteer; 09-27-2020 at 23:53.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Very fine they look indeed Vol, and the backdrop of the fortifications sets them off a treat.
    Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I am also thinking of adding the captured Spanish 50 if I can find a suitable model and a picture of it Vol. However, i am sure that Constitution and friends can give even that a good drubbing so have no fear.
    Rob.

Midshipman
    Spain

Log Entries
    Name
    Ferrante

Very nice job with the galleys
    I like the job and the result very nice
    I hope I can see soon into a battle report
    Very interesting
    Regards

Able Seaman
    France

Log Entries
    Name
    Roméo

Wow I love them, Volunteer. Such a very fine, accurate work that we have here. Sorry if I repeat myself but the ships look just perfect ... as the background ! Your rigging adds a high level of realism. Makes me think of the references about this topic (how to make them, etc.) we had once mentioned. I've really got to try it.
    "Les passions sont les vents qui enflent les voiles du navire ; elles le submergent quelquefois, mais sans elles il ne pourrait voguer."
    "Passions are the winds that fill the sails of a ship ; they sometimes overwhelm her, but she could not sail without them."- Voltaire

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrante View Post
    Very nice job with the galleys
    I like the job and the result very nice
    I hope I can see soon into a battle report
    Very interesting
    Regards
    Thanks Ferrante.
    I hope to get a game in next week, after we get the workmen out of the kitchen and tidy up a bit.
    Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Today I be mostly trialling Dobbs' idea for broadsides.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Beautiful, Rob. The little light really accentuates the gunfire effect.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Now all I need to do is buy another dozen sets of orange earrings for those big battles where everyone is firing both broadsides at once DB.
    Rob.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    Today I be mostly trialling Dobbs' idea for broadsides.
    Looking great, but I can't take the credit. I merely reproduced broadsides as done by Eric (DeRuyter). Suzanne added the make-up.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

My first British brig is done, seen here with an American one.

All brigs to date have been built using abandoned spankers from scuttled Hebe models. HMS Spitfire is the first with a homemade spanker. I don't think it offends me too much.
    Last edited by Bligh; 09-30-2020 at 02:14.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondback View Post
    Beautiful, Rob. The little light really accentuates the gunfire effect.
    Ditto what Diamondback said! Great effects!
    And thank you for the rep Rob