Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Default Extreme Range

Some nations and captains felt that you should start firing as soon as the guns stood any chance of damaging the opponent. To reflect this I've been considering a range from 1 full ruler length beyond "A" range (maybe 2 rulers beyond "A" range).

For damage, I've been contemplating the value of using the "C" deck, but counting all of the plain crew hits as 0's and reducing the numerical damage on the chits by one. This is because most of the damage at this range would be to spars, rigging, and sails (the primary intention of firing at this range being to get the jump on the opponent and to hamper his maneuverability when things get hot and heavy). It would, of course be solid shot, just lacking the stopping power at that range.
    Last edited by Dobbs; 08-31-2020 at 18:21.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

This is rather interesting Dobbs.
    Two things have been bugging us with our rule about bow and stern chasers. We are assuming two guns and drawing one A chit for the pair, but it would seem that they might be employed at 1.5 ruler lengths as most chase guns seem to be long 9s or similar. Also when we use our Fortification guns we allow 1.5 rulers length if they are on a high elevation such as a cliff top. Your idea may well be an adjunct to this, as we felt that with the high calibre of most Forts guns they maybe should either do more damage than stated in the rules or have an even longer range, say two rulers!
    What do you think?

Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Rob, I leave chasers out of normal play, and only include them in my chase rules. Since in those, each turn is about 2 hours and ranges can be far longer than SoG allows, I find it works out better.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

So one and a half rules would seem quite conservative for a normal game then Dobbs.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.