Thread: Greetings from Brooklyn, New York!

Landsman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Peter

Default Greetings from Brooklyn, New York!

Greetings!

I'm a long-time, infrequent troll of this forum but recently registered as a member shortly after dipping my toe into the drink and diving in head first.

I enjoy playing many different kinds of wargames but mainly prefer them on the computer with the occasional battle using tabletop miniatures.

I spied Sails of Glory on the horizon ages ago and despite it being 'a natural fit' for my interests I inexplicably never gave it a serious look. After doing my research and checking out some excellent video reviews & battle reports I'm happy to say I am finally hooked!

Tragically, the combination of the pandemic and being forced to work from home for months on end has led to fiscal mischief. I find myself allocating funds that would otherwise be put towards my (now canceled) annual Mediterranean escape into the purchase of a starter set and a considerable number of ship packs (lets not even talk about my recent Wings of War/Glory purchases). My bank account is understandably upset but my gaming itch is glad to be getting scratched!

There are some local wargaming clubs but until life returns to normal I'm glad to have access to a close friend who is a huge fan of Patrick O'Brien and fellow wargamer as well as the great solo rules and apps!

Midshipman
    Australia

Log Entries
    Name
    Gary

Hi Peter,

I feel sorry for those out of work, and hope things improve for them. I am or rather was a frequent cruiser. The money saved through this pandemic and not going anywhere has funded quite a few new ships for me too.
    Last edited by Baxter; 09-15-2020 at 21:30.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Good morning Peter.
    I can now formally welcome you to the Anchorage on behalf of your shipmates from all over the globe, who I'm sure will be here to welcome you in person when they come off watch, or when theie ship docks like yours has just done. Meantime do explore the site for all the information you can glean, and pop into the Wardroom for a few noggins and a chinwag with your shipmates.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Welcome to the Anchorage, Peter, from here in the United Kingdom. If you have any questions about the game, please feel free to ask them. You will find the members here very friendly and helpful.

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Welcome to you Peter, this is a great game which I am sure will give you as it has me, many hours of fun.

Able Seaman
    France

Log Entries
    Name
    Roméo

Hello Peter, let me warmly welcome you ! Enjoy the good atmosphere and the knowledge which always is shared with pleasure.

Quote Originally Posted by Baxter View Post
    Hi Peter,

I feel sorry for those out of work, and hope things improve for them. I am or rather was a frequent cruiser. The money saved through this pandemic and not going anywhere has funded quite a few new ships for me too.
    I cannot help but nod your assent. All the consequences that this thing provokes are hardly quantifiable. Peter was saying "until life returns to normal", let's hope this will happen as soon as possible whereas one hears everyday that this disease seems to be of its time. Honestly, I'm getting a little bit jaded by the fact it deeply impacts our hobby (and of course the rest). Crossed fingered... AND CANONS READY SIR !

PS : I'm Roméo from France. Bienvenue, Monsieur !
    "Les passions sont les vents qui enflent les voiles du navire ; elles le submergent quelquefois, mais sans elles il ne pourrait voguer."
    "Passions are the winds that fill the sails of a ship ; they sometimes overwhelm her, but she could not sail without them."- Voltaire

Stats Committee
    2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bill

Hello Peter,
    Welcome from the beautiful Hudson River Valley -- I'm about 2 hours North of Brooklyn in Ulster County. You will find this site full of knowledgeable and very friendly people. If you have any questions, just ask away and someone on the site will have tons of knowledge about it.
    Here's hoping you find a fair wind and a willing foe,
    Bill

Landsman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Peter

Thank you all for the warm welcomes. Glad to be aboard!

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Good to have you sir.
    May you always sail with a fair wind and a willing foe.
    Bligh.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

The post finally caught up with me and I’m able to send back a delayed warm welcome to the Anchorage!