Thread: Who do you sail for?

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jason

Default Who do you sail for?

It seems like we tend to approach things from the perspective of the British Royal Navy (and to a lesser extent the fledgeling American Navy) as protagonists around here. Nothing too surprising there, all things considered, but who prefers to play as and/or research the French or Spanish Navies or others?

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Although biased to the RN, sorry but there it is, I like playing the French fleet also.
    I have a few books on the French ships and like reading through to see what we can utilise from current models for others, if you look back at a couple of threads I did post a number of alternates along with DB.
    Although I also have a sizable Spanish fleet they have only seen active service when I put on Trafalgar, not that I dislike the Spanish but we are aware of the size issue with the Spanish ships Models and the accompanying stats.
    But I dont mind playing any current fleet, except not done much v the usn.... as yet

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I have a Chilean Navy Squadron.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

As one of the Historical Consultants, I kinda have to "play for all teams." :) Besides, as an aspiring educator I'm a big fan of "run the scenario twice, players switch sides between" to inspire understanding of both sides' perspectives and why they made the moves they did.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB
    Historical Consultant to Ares, Wings and Sails - Unless otherwise noted, all comments are strictly Personal Opinion ONLY and not to be taken as official Company Policy.

Midshipman
    Australia

Log Entries
    Name
    Gary

When my group of four meet for our weekly games night we often roll the dice to determine who plays for which side. Sometimes one of us has just bought a miniature they want to try out though and that is fine too.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondback View Post
    As an aspiring educator I'm a big fan of "run the scenario twice, players switch sides between" to inspire understanding of both sides' perspectives and why they made the moves they did.
    A very good point DB. One which I shall take under consideration in my forthcoming games, if and when we ever get to play against a real life adversary.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jason

For gameplay I usually let my opponent(s) choose sides. While I've mainly thought of the Napoleonic Wars from a non-French perspective (Anglophone orientation, I guess), I've been preparing to play as the French on land in Sharp Practice, and it's making me think more about the French Navy as well.

Landsman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Stephan

I sail for no man - I sail for meself. Arrrr.

Oh wait wrong movie. I'll admit to a Spanish bias.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by StephanS View Post

I'll admit to a Spanish bias.
    What sort of ship is that then Stephan?
    Rob.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Reminds me of a discussion on my old Freelancer server when there was a war going on and everybody asked which side I was gonna take...

"You guys aren't gonna be fighting for long if you can't get somebody to supply you with new and replacement weaponry. I'm on the side of the Arms Dealers... no matter who wins, we NEVER lose!"

--Diamondback, former Interstellar Merchant of Death
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB
    Historical Consultant to Ares, Wings and Sails - Unless otherwise noted, all comments are strictly Personal Opinion ONLY and not to be taken as official Company Policy.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jason

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondback View Post
    Reminds me of a discussion on my old Freelancer server when there was a war going on and everybody asked which side I was gonna take...

"You guys aren't gonna be fighting for long if you can't get somebody to supply you with new and replacement weaponry. I'm on the side of the Arms Dealers... no matter who wins, we NEVER lose!"

--Diamondback, former Interstellar Merchant of Death
    LOL

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Very true DB. Even in peacetime your arms dealer has a job, just as long as the designers come out with upgrades, and a state of tension exists. But then you know far more about that than I.
    Rob.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

LOL I'm more the craftsman and technician side, not a dealer... though I *am* trying to con my gunsmith neighbor into signing me on for an apprenticeship. :)
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Sounds a good idea to me DB. I would have loved to have done a bit of work for a gunsmith on Flintlocks instead of having to pick up the ability to do a bit of repair work by trial and error.
    Rob.

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Salem

I've taken a liking to France, though I may be swayed to the Spanish side once my Santa Ana arrives in the mail.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Ringing the changes also gets to teach you about the strengths and weaknesses of your enemy Salem.
    Rob.

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Salem

It is definitely nice to understand your opponent, Rob. I've experienced a similar shift to Spain in Pirates of the Cursed Seas, so I won't be surprised if I do switch from France.

Midshipman
    Spain

Log Entries
    Name
    Ferrante

I play with Spain as I am Spaniard . But I own a Royal Navy fleet too , And some French And USS ships.
    I like history and I recognized the power and development from the Royal Navy in that times . Spain was a decadent empire , but we still had great captains and officers .The most important thing in game is enjoy and have fun . And know more about that times .