Thread: Lake Ontario, War of 1812 question

Landsman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Thomas

Default Lake Ontario, War of 1812 question

Hello all,
    If I wanted to create a simulation of actions on Lake Ontario during the War of 1812, does Sails of Glory offer ships that would be typical of the time? Probably brigs would be the largest ships, along with corvette ships and sloops. I haven’t seen anything like that, but thought I would ask. Are there any other suppliers of 1:1000 ships that have those types of ships? Where might I find extra bases and how to figure out movement cards. I know, I’m asking a lot...

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jason

The best choice is generally Langton's, which makes models in 1:1200. For gunboats, I would pick up some from both their Great Lakes and Napoleonic lines.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jason

Ares makes sloops. Langton's or GHQ for schooners, brigs, and gunboats.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

If You can wait a few days, I should have an order through from Langton's and can show you a gunboat Thomas.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Landsman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Thomas

Sounds great!

Quote Originally Posted by kptom View Post
    Hello all,
    If I wanted to create a simulation of actions on Lake Ontario during the War of 1812, does Sails of Glory offer ships that would be typical of the time? Probably brigs would be the largest ships, along with corvette ships and sloops. I haven’t seen anything like that, but thought I would ask. Are there any other suppliers of 1:1000 ships that have those types of ships? Where might I find extra bases and how to figure out movement cards. I know, I’m asking a lot...
    The lake battles ships would be at the bottom end of the Ares SoG line. As Jason said Langton is your best bet for a similar scale model. Langton has a War of 1812 line so you can get the complete oob. I have been using Langton 1/1200 scale ships to run the Battle of Lake Erie. (Using "Kiss Me Hardy" rules with a supplement for the lakes). The Warlord Games Black Seas miniatures would work well and are 1/700 scale. They have schooners, gunboats and brigs. Some of the large ships on the lakes were equivalent to the frigate model as well. War Artisan makes paper ships for the lake battles as well. Lastly if you are a modeler and ambitious Thoroughbred Models "Sea Eagles" range of ships has the Ontario fleet in 15mm scale (For perspective a one gun schooner is 6" long).