Thread: Greetings from Central New York

Landsman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Thomas

Default Greetings from Central New York

Hello all,
    I am a new player... In fact, I just ordered my Starter Set from Amazon this evening!

This will be my first naval miniatures game, so I am hoping for good things. I will mainly be playing solo, so I will be investigating the solitaire options available. Any hints or suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

Looking forward to enjoying SoG!

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

On behalf of the sailors here at the Anchorage welcome Thomas.
    I am sure you will not only learn a lot from reading the many posts and articles here but also get a deal of fun out of the site. Remember that we are here to help each other, so if there is anything you need to know just ask away and one of us at least should be able to give you an answer. Overall, the game is for you to enjoy so feel free to do with it as you will and pick the rules which suit your style of play best. You will find them very flexible.
    I am sure a few more shipmates will be along to greet you when their ships dock. Until then have a good old rummage through the ditty bag which is the Anchorage.
    May you always sail with a fair wind and a willing foe.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Midshipman
    Australia

Log Entries
    Name
    Gary

Hi Thomas and welcome to a great game. Just go slowly would be my advice. Too many rules to take in all at once. Be flexible and choose the ones you want to use. Lots of experienced folk here willing to answer your questions. They sure helped me.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bryan

Greeting Thomas,

I'm a solo player as well. There are a few solo systems available:
    Dobbs has created a system and I'm sure he will chime in here.
    Powder Monkey rules are fairly simple: https://herkybird.tynesidewargames.c...lsofglory.html
    There's a really good tactical document at board game geek: https://boardgamegeek.com/filepage/2...lory-game-info

My suggestions are to follow the rule book in learning the simple ruleset first. Then gradually add on what you want. This is part of what makes the game so great.

I'm still terrible at the game but I enjoy playing it very much.

Also, Harbor Freight has a nice laser for cheap that allows you to get angle measurements for the cannon shots easily: https://www.harborfreight.com/laser-marker-93242.html

Good luck and welcome aboard!

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Welcome, Thomas!

Following Bryan's suggestion, I'm chiming in. Here's a link to my soloplay rules.

https://sailsofglory.org/showthread....play-Mechanism

If you have any questions, feel free to post 'em or PM me. Observations of the system in play are appreciated as it allows me to improve it. ...and everyone likes pictures of ships blasting away at each other!

Stats Committee
    2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bill

Hi and welcome to the site from the beautiful Hudson River Valley. Where in NY are you? I am about an hour south of Albany on the Hudson River. You will find this site full of helpful and very knowledgeable people. Once you get your starter set and review the rules thoroughly, I recommend taking a shot at one of the solo campaign games. Also the AARs on the site provide lots of ideas for solo games. If you have any questions just post them to the site and you will be happily rewarded with the willingness of site members to share their knowledge.
    Bill

Landsman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Thomas

I am in the Finger Lakes region, so it will probably be a bit difficult to get together for a face-to-face encounter. Thank you for the kind greetings!

Landsman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Thomas

Thanks to all for the kind greetings. And yes, I will probably ask many questions and I apologize in advance if I bombard you all with too many questions!!

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Do not worry about the Questions Thomas. We always say that the only stupid question is the one that you don't ask. So go ahead with full sails.
    Rob.
    Last edited by Bligh; 08-08-2020 at 00:32.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Welcome to the Anchorage, Thomas, from here 'across the Pond' in the United Kingdom. Please feel free to ask questions about the game. You will find the members here are very friendly and helpful.

Landsman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Thomas

Thanks to all for the kind greetings and advice. Now I just need my Amazon purchase to arrive! Scheduled for a Wednesday delivery. What ever happened to Amazon’s 2-day delivery?

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Not sure about Amazon Thomas. Over here we are in the same situation. Quite a few of our next day deliveries are taking two days and the rest is all over the place. Must be down to Covid shock waves.
    Rob.

Able Seaman
    France

Log Entries
    Name
    Roméo

Welcome to you, Thomas ! As written above, you will sure find all what you need to get the best of this age of sails experience. I can but recommend you to check the library, there is -honestly- hundreds of excellent good references to get deeper into this universe. Welcome again !
    "Les passions sont les vents qui enflent les voiles du navire ; elles le submergent quelquefois, mais sans elles il ne pourrait voguer."
    "Passions are the winds that fill the sails of a ship ; they sometimes overwhelm her, but she could not sail without them."- Voltaire

Landsman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Thomas

Hurrah!! The starter set has arrived, now to find the time to get it on the table!

Quote Originally Posted by kptom View Post
    Thanks to all for the kind greetings and advice. Now I just need my Amazon purchase to arrive! Scheduled for a Wednesday delivery. What ever happened to Amazon’s 2-day delivery?

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Hurrah!! The starter set has arrived, now to find the time to get it on the table!
    Looking forward to hearing about your adventures!

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

And not even Wednesday for you. When it arrived it must have been Tuesday Thomas. Maybe we owe Amazon a bit of an apology for our scathing remarks, but then again maybe not!
    Rob.