I revisited my old Springing Rules and determined that they were clunky at best, or unmanageable at worst. I like the way SoG takes complex ideas and expresses them in a simple, fast playing format. I decided I had to revise my ideas.

My newest Springing Rules:

Springing Rules.pdf

This was a test of my newest Springing Rules.

Name:  1.jpg
Views: 319
Size:  123.5 KB

To set the tableau, during the Quasi-war, the American frigate Saratoga discovers a French frigate watering on a small island in the Caribbean. The French, caught off guard and on a lee shore decide to fight from a spring instead of slipping the anchor.

Name:  2.jpg
Views: 348
Size:  162.8 KB

The springing player announces that the spring is set up to port, and after movement cards for the next turn have been picked reveals his action. A 4 point turn is not guaranteed for a frigate, and the player successfully pulls an “E” chit.

Name:  3.jpg
Views: 295
Size:  166.1 KB

Each wedge represents 2 points of arc or 22.5 degrees.

Name:  4.jpg
Views: 303
Size:  153.4 KB

Saratoga stands on in…

Name:  5.jpg
Views: 298
Size:  142.8 KB

The long view, still outside of range.

Name:  6.jpg
Views: 311
Size:  166.2 KB

Name:  7.jpg
Views: 345
Size:  151.9 KB

Courageuse continues to spring to starboard, but is limited in her turn rate, since she can only turn a maximum of 6 points every two turns.

Name:  8.jpg
Views: 286
Size:  157.1 KB

Saratoga continues to stand on in…

Name:  9.jpg
Views: 280
Size:  113.3 KB

Courageuse’s captain feels that the deterrent of having to sail straight into the teeth of a broadside might encourage the Yankee to depart, and continues to spring to starboard.

Name:  10.jpg
Views: 309
Size:  133.0 KB

He’s wrong. Saratoga wears, just out of range.

Name:  11.jpg
Views: 299
Size:  154.5 KB

Feeling secure in his position, Courageuse’s captain gives the order for the men at the capstan to “Hold Fast”!

Name:  12.jpg
Views: 343
Size:  122.5 KB

Both captains have misjudged and neither opponent is in the other’s broadside.

Name:  13.jpg
Views: 294
Size:  112.4 KB

Courageuse springs another two points to starboard as Saratoga tries to headreach her, and almost succeeds. Saratoga gets off a full broadside while Courageuse can only fire from the bow arc.

Name:  14.jpg
Views: 331
Size:  176.2 KB

The smoke from the broadsides lingers as Saratoga luffs up, preparing to give the larboard battery a turn…

Name:  15.jpg
Views: 291
Size:  111.4 KB