Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What's on Your Workbench for August 2020?

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bryan

Love it Rob! I'm jealous of your shop!

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I decided when I retired that after a lifetime of Engineering in one form or another I could not do without access to the machines i had worked with for all those years. Although it is a scaled down shop as far a sizes of equipment goes I have all the machines save a milling machine, and unfortunately no casting bay. Then I saw Norm Abraham on TV and had to add a wood working shop too. That is how it all came about Bryan.
    I had only been retired for a year when my friend Chris introduced me to Wings, and the rest they say is history.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Now for my progress today. Although I was out most of the day meeting up with Gary (McDorf) and his parents for a walk in the park, a chat and a Pizza, I did manage to get the drilling and tapping on the Lasar sleeve done before I went.
    Just the lock thumb screw to do tomorrow and filing a slot in the holder.

Starting the tap square in the drill press and then finishing with tap wrench in the vice.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

This morning I completed the Knurling.turning and threading of the locking screw for the tube. Just a slot to file out for the Button on the Laser to align the beam and activate the on/off pressure. Then I can start the cleaning up and assembly.

Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Slot cut and parts all rubbed down with wet and dry plus oil and polished.
    All ready for final fine fitting and assembly.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Finally all assembled and ready for use.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bryan

Looks superb Rob! Very nice craftsmanship!

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Thank you for your kind remarks Bryan and also for the Rep you have given to me. It was all really derived from Dobbs as usual!
    Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Here you can see it in action.
    Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Some time ago I promised a view of the Langton gunboat when it arrived.
    Here it is with a Sloop for scaling purposes. i should get onto painting it in the next few days.

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    Here you can see it in action.
    Rob.
    Pretty cool Rob, but please pardon my apparent ignorance. What is the intent for the laser in the game?

Some time ago I promised a view of the Langton gunboat when it arrived.
    Here it is with a Sloop for scaling purposes. i should get onto painting it in the next few days.

The scale looks really close Rob!

I have not been able to get back to my sloop and cutter for several days. We had several visits from the neighbor's goats, 24 of them! They have devastated anything we have not fenced to keep the deer out. Peppers, herb garden, blueberries, roses, etc. When they discovered the dwarf apple tree though, that was the last straw. The wife said sore finger or not, I have to finish the fence I was working on when I injured my self! So that is what I am doing, carefully!
    Last edited by Volunteer; 08-27-2020 at 08:54.

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Quote Originally Posted by Volunteer View Post
    The scale looks really close Rob!

I have not been able to get back to my sloop and cutter for several days. We had several visits from the neighbor's goats, 24 of them! They have devastated anything we have not fenced to keep the deer out. Peppers, herb garden, blueberries, roses, etc. When they discovered the dwarf apple tree though, that was the last straw. The wife said sore finger or not, I have to finish the fence I was working on when I injured my self! So that is what I am doing, carefully!
    Is this neighbor the kind things can be worked out with by neighborly chat? If not, a polite note about the damages and asking for help fixing them might be in order before escalating to Small Claims Court.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB
    Historical Consultant to Ares, Wings and Sails - Unless otherwise noted, all comments are strictly Personal Opinion ONLY and not to be taken as official Company Policy.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Volunteer View Post
    What is the intent for the laser in the game?
    Twofold really. In my solo games it denotes ships which are firing at each other for the people who look at the AAR.
    In games with live protagonists it can be used to accuratelydecide who is in the arc of fire, if it is a close run thing. It is especially useful when faced with the old chestnut of is that actually a rake or not.
    We use them all the time when playing Wings. I just wish I could devise one that gave the ranges as well!
    Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

My Algerine Galley's are now underway. Glued up the parts this afternoon.
    Rob.

My Algerine Galley's are now underway. Glued up the parts this afternoon.
    Rob.
    Are these Langtons Rob? I don't recall seeing these before. Are they in the Renaissance line?

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

They are indeed Langton Vol. They are in the Baltic section. SR15 Galley 40 oars and the Great Lakes line also has a Galley "Washington" 20 gun.
    Rob.
    Last edited by Bligh; 08-31-2020 at 13:45.

Haha, Now I remember telling you about them when you asked where to find galleys. I guess I just didn't relate the 'Algernine' part to the Baltic galleys. I guess one galley is the same as another, just change the flag!

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

That makes two of us Vol. I printed out your page at the time and used it to order last week, but did not note that it was you who had given me the details . I'm getting old!
    Rob.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Aaron

Bligh- what reference did you post regarding ship paint designs? Thanks

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Hi Aaron.
    I don't recall posting anything on the paint schemes. I just looked at what was available and winged it from there.
    If you like I will look out what pictures I saved and post them. Will that be of any help?
    Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

In reply to a query from Dobbs about the size of Langton ships I am posting this measured Galley. Incidentally, anyone an idea as to how many guns a Galley sported. I am assuming G movement and a strength of 1 for the card.
    Rob.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Depending on size I would say four cannon facing forward. Often quite heavy.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Thanks for the answer Jonas, and good to hear from you after a while.
    These are about Sloop size. That info is very useful thanks. I am going to depl;oy them in my Algerine games.
    Rob.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

I'm doing a weekly commute now and have been doing for the last months.
    There's no time for modeling and gaming and my activities in this area has gone down.
    I'm confident I will be back more frequently in the future.