Thread: What's on Your Workbench for August 2020?

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by Newtzilla View Post
    Looking good! That is one of the Black Seas ships right? The larger scale really brings out the details.
    Yes Alex, this is my third Black Seas ship from the US Squadron pack. After this there is one more 38 gun frigate, two 44 gun super frigates, and five more brigs to go. However, I will most likely cut up the brigs to make coversions to corvettes and cutters.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Now painted and sails rigged, but I am not happy with the flag. I will change it for this one today.

Rob.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bryan

Amazing work Rob! I love that red paint job! The flag looks great to me!

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Hi Bryan.
    Frstly thanks for the Rep. i have removed offending flag and printed a new replacement. Just a matter of a flagstaff and a bit of glue to complere a job that has been on the stocks about as long as it took to build the actual ship.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

You have certainly done her proud Vol. What paint and method do you use to get that effect on your sails?
    Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Here is my Trinidad now on her first cruise, replete with improved flags, and stern windows to the directions given by Gary (McDorf) I still owe him for the paints!

Next project for August will be a Sloop on fire.

Rob.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    You have certainly done her proud Vol. What paint and method do you use to get that effect on your sails?
    Rob.
    Thanks Rob. Well the Warlord supplied sails are too heavy card stock. When wetted with PVA and water in order to shape properly and lock in that shape, the ink runs and the layers separate. So the first two ships I printed colour copies on plain printer paper. This made them thinner and the ink didn't run. This time a made the sails and tried to duplicate the stain patterns on the supplied sails, but not as dark. I started out painting them with a one to one water PVA mix, then shaping them over varying cylindrical objects. When nearly dry, I place them curve sode up on a soft folded cloth. I take a pencil rounded eraser and push it into the lower edges of the sails for additional shaping. They are painted with Antique White. Then I lightly brush Linen in vertical strokes along the bottom edge with longer strokes against the outer edges. Lastly I go over this with a lighter layer of Country Twill. Using a tan colour pencil I draw in the reefs. The bunt & clew lines are thread added after the sails are mounted. All sails are tied onto the spars. The only glue used is a touch at the knots.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Very erudite explanation there Vol. I have shied away from playing about with Ares sails, but even I might now be able to give them a bash.
    Thanks for the info.
    Rob.
    Last edited by Bligh; 08-09-2020 at 13:43.