Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What's on Your Workbench for August 2020?

I'm really interested to see how this turns out Rob. I have one that sits on the deck of a ship but, because of the rigging I have on all of my ships, it can't be used. It never occurred to me to imbed the device in a specific ship as a marker.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

It all started with A three decker, and later a Frigate. After this Sloop I will do a 74. They will all be generic so can be used for photo sessions to represent any ship as long as you do not look too closely.

Here is Sven's Orient on fire at the "Battle of the Nile", at Doncaster '17

and here is my Frigate.

Rob.
    Last edited by Bligh; 08-12-2020 at 09:55.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bryan

Wow! That fire is amazing! Do you have a post on how you made it?

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by usfbrown View Post
    Wow! That fire is amazing! Do you have a post on how you made it?
    https://sailsofglory.org/content.php...g-ship-on-fire

Not exactly but this may help Bryan.
    I will continue with the current one as well for you as I do it.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Midshipman
    Australia

Log Entries
    Name
    Gary

Those pics look great but really you have ruined a perfectly good and relatively expensive miniature to build a better damage marker!

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

You can't do a very enjoyable illustrated game scenario with damage markers. Where possible I make models Gary. It gives me something to do. You may think it ruined, but I find it enjoyable activity.
    Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

The hole through the bottom of the ship is now drilled out to the size of the battery Led holder.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bryan

Thanks for the link and pictures Rob!

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    It all started with A three decker, and later a Frigate. After this Sloop I will do a 74. They will all be generic so can be used for photo sessions to represent any ship as long as you do not look too closely.

Here is Sven's Orient on fire at the "Battle of the Nile", at Doncaster '17

and here is my Frigate.

Rob.
    Wow! That is a pretty spectacular effect Rob. I'd like to see it in action!

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Thanks for the link and pictures Rob!
    And thank you for the Rep points Bryan.
    Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Also thank you for your kind remarks and also the Rep Vol.
    For some reason the light on Orient doed not show up very well, although it is better than that by far. That one blinks alternate red and orange, so it may just be a matter that the camera caught it mid blink.
    Rob.

Midshipman
    Australia

Log Entries
    Name
    Gary

You can't do a very enjoyable illustrated game scenario with damage markers. Where possible I make models Gary. It gives me something to do. You may think it ruined, but I find it enjoyable activity.
    Rob.
    Huge apologies to you Rob. I diminished your really good work and should not have. Your wrecks are brilliant.

My friend Wayne (BigglesDownunder on the wings forum) did these for me the other day on his 3d printer.

Name:  Damage Markers.jpg
Views: 475
Size:  180.5 KB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

G'day Garry.
    No worries mate. You are entitled to your opinion and I can see that some shipmates who are finding it hard to get models might think it sacrilege to cut up fine ships of the line. At least all the bases and card decks of the ships sacrificed were required for other models I was building from Langton kits.
    As for that 3d printing! If only I had the facility to do that I could run riot with ideas.
    Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Trialing the fit showing where the Led holder goes.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bryan

Coming along well Rob!

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Thanks Bryan. Thought I might get started on the base today but i got the bum's rush to do some gardening, and then the World Championship snooker semi finals came on the box. This is the mid afternoon interval so i thought I could get a couple of threads answered.
    Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

At least I got the LED in place and tested, and am now drilling the base to hold the larger diameter battery case.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bryan

Do you happen to have a link to the led and other parts your're using?

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

These were from Amazon UK Bryan.
    Light Up LED 7mm Stud Party Earrings Stainless Steel (Orange) sold by Orion Creations.

Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Hole in base now drilled with battery compartment push fitted in, and all ready for final assembly.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bryan

Thanks Rob!

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

And here she is with the Led installed.
    Just the smoke and some sooty marks on the sails to add now.

Rob.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bryan

Looks great Rob! Do you perform this on all ships or do you have a set of ships to you use if it catches on fire?

I just wish there was a way to make one portable that would fit on a rigged ship, so I could set it on any ship on the table, rather than replacing the damaged ship with another that doesn't resemble it. I know it's just a game and I'm being overly fussy. But that's just me, I'm into the real feel fantasy.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Looks great Rob! Do you perform this on all ships or do you have a set of ships to you use if it catches on fire?
    I have one generic ship of each rate which does for mosy situations. Once they are sooty chared and on fire you can get away with a lot. I will, however, now need to do a Lateen sailed ship.
    Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

You can make a portable system Vol. I started out that way, but it was unwieldy for all but the larger ships of the line. However, that was before I discovered the earrings. With a bit of ingenuity I think you could invert the battery holder and hide it in the dense smoke with the led down near the deck. All wired into place on an armature of wire it may well hold its shape. Changing the battery would pose a different problem. You would have to try it and see.
    Rob.

You can make a portable system Vol. I started out that way, but it was unwieldy for all but the larger ships of the line. However, that was before I discovered the earrings. With a bit of ingenuity I think you could invert the battery holder and hide it in the dense smoke with the led down near the deck. All wired into place on an armature of wire it may well hold its shape. Changing the battery would pose a different problem. You would have to try it and see.
    Rob.
    I have one but it is just too big to sit on a rigged ship, so I have to set it off to one side.
    Name:  20200817_212155.jpg
Views: 436
Size:  82.5 KB

On my work bench currently is an experiment. I had six of the Black Seas brigs, more than I want or need. So I thought I would cut two up and see if I could make something else. What I came up with is a 22 gun sloop of war or corvette and a 12 gun cutter.
    Name:  20200816_180743.jpg
Views: 439
Size:  190.1 KB

With masts made and primed
    Name:  20200817_211813.jpg
Views: 423
Size:  134.0 KB

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bryan

Those models sure do look nice Vol. Black Seas is what initial got me interested in sailing games. After some research, I found the ruleset of SoG to be a much better fit for me. Have you played Black Seas?

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

You have certainly expanded the range there Vol. Well done again that man. I await the finished products with anticipation.
    Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Meantime back at the Ranch, I have taken a couple of photos of something I feel will save those of you with no desire to "butcher" your ships with a cheap alternative.

First take one Litco small fire marker
    Add smoke

And the result is.

Transferrable to any ship.
    Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Also, here is my finished sloop now well alight.

Rob.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bryan

Thanks so much for taking the time to post all these pictures of the fire Rob! I do like the ability to add a fire marker to the current ship. That may be a good stop gap for me!

Those models sure do look nice Vol. Black Seas is what initial got me interested in sailing games. After some research, I found the ruleset of SoG to be a much better fit for me. Have you played Black Seas?
    Thanks Bryan. No, I am just playing around with the models and scale right now. I love age of sail ships if you haven't noticed. For gaming my go to is KMH but I also like Post Captain and GW Trafalgar, though it is a bit onerous.

Also, here is my finished sloop now well alight.

Rob.
    Wow Rob your sloop came out perfect!

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bryan

Quote Originally Posted by Volunteer View Post
    Thanks Bryan. No, I am just playing around with the models and scale right now. I love age of sail ships if you haven't noticed. For gaming my go to is KMH but I also like Post Captain and GW Trafalgar, though it is a bit onerous.

What is KMH?

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Thanks so much for taking the time to post all these pictures of the fire Rob! I do like the ability to add a fire marker to the current ship. That may be a good stop gap for me!
    My pleasure Bryan. If you have any trouble getting the Litco flame markers let me know, and thanks for the Rep.
    Today my Langton order arrived so look out for a few more Algerine craft on the horizon next month.
    Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Volunteer View Post
    Wow Rob your sloop came out perfect!
    Thanks Vol. I am now taking a break from burning things down for a bit and going back to cannon fire.
    Rob.

What is KMH?
    "Kiss Me Hardy" by Too Fat Lardies. A card based game that is way quicker than Trafalgar

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Yesterday I started making a holder for my Laser pointer by turning up a base on my lathe. First I faced off the ends of a piece of Aluminium, Then chamfered the edges.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Next I drilled a hole in the end and threaded it ready to receive the support rod.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Yesterdays work involved the facing off and threading of the support arm.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I then turned my attention to making the boss for the top.
    Last edited by Bligh; 08-20-2020 at 03:38.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Once the boss was turnd to a hemisphere, I drilled out and tapped the other end ready for fitting to the stem.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bryan

Can't wait to see the result Rob! Looking great so far.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I will be doing a bit more work on it this afternoon so it should be ready in a couple of days. Then i will need to work out a method of making a simplified copy of it in obtainable materials for the shipmates who do not have a workshop available!
    Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Drilling out the Laser holder tube.and chamfering the inside ends

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I have now drilled a tapping size hole in the Laser holding tube and tapped it out for the adjustment screw.

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Ah, bringing back memories of sophomore Machine Shop... :)

Right now, just waiting for my pro gunsmith to call and say he's ready for me to pick up the C8's parts and bring the rifles in for him to evaluate and write up my "report cards" on. Other than that, less "working" and more "moving things into storage"...
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB
    Historical Consultant to Ares, Wings and Sails - Unless otherwise noted, all comments are strictly Personal Opinion ONLY and not to be taken as official Company Policy.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

It has been nice to get a bit of metalworking done for a change. My machine shop has been very quiet whilst I've been engaged on all these ships and model landscape projects DB. Ah! the smell of the hot oil, cutting compound, coolant fluid, and Swafega. Almost as good as blackpowder burning!
    Rob.