Thread: What's on Your Workbench for August 2020?

Hybrid View

On my work bench currently is an experiment. I had six of the Black Seas brigs, more than I want or need. So I thought I would cut two up and see if I could make something else. What I came up with is a 22 gun sloop of war or corvette and a 12 gun cutter.
    Name:  20200816_180743.jpg
Views: 488
Size:  190.1 KB

With masts made and primed
    Name:  20200817_211813.jpg
Views: 480
Size:  134.0 KB

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bryan

Those models sure do look nice Vol. Black Seas is what initial got me interested in sailing games. After some research, I found the ruleset of SoG to be a much better fit for me. Have you played Black Seas?

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

You have certainly expanded the range there Vol. Well done again that man. I await the finished products with anticipation.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Meantime back at the Ranch, I have taken a couple of photos of something I feel will save those of you with no desire to "butcher" your ships with a cheap alternative.

First take one Litco small fire marker
    Add smoke

And the result is.

Transferrable to any ship.
    Rob.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Also, here is my finished sloop now well alight.

Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    Also, here is my finished sloop now well alight.

Rob.
    Wow Rob your sloop came out perfect!

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Volunteer View Post
    Wow Rob your sloop came out perfect!
    Thanks Vol. I am now taking a break from burning things down for a bit and going back to cannon fire.
    Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by usfbrown View Post
    Those models sure do look nice Vol. Black Seas is what initial got me interested in sailing games. After some research, I found the ruleset of SoG to be a much better fit for me. Have you played Black Seas?
    Thanks Bryan. No, I am just playing around with the models and scale right now. I love age of sail ships if you haven't noticed. For gaming my go to is KMH but I also like Post Captain and GW Trafalgar, though it is a bit onerous.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bryan

Quote Originally Posted by Volunteer View Post
    Thanks Bryan. No, I am just playing around with the models and scale right now. I love age of sail ships if you haven't noticed. For gaming my go to is KMH but I also like Post Captain and GW Trafalgar, though it is a bit onerous.

What is KMH?

Quote Originally Posted by usfbrown View Post

What is KMH?
    "Kiss Me Hardy" by Too Fat Lardies. A card based game that is way quicker than Trafalgar

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Yesterday I started making a holder for my Laser pointer by turning up a base on my lathe. First I faced off the ends of a piece of Aluminium, Then chamfered the edges.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Next I drilled a hole in the end and threaded it ready to receive the support rod.