Thread: Those printed rules?

Midshipman
    Australia

Log Entries
    Name
    Gary

Default Those printed rules?

My group of four played our second game last night. I got absolutely hammered and my bad moves included an early collision with my team mate. When we studied the rules relating to collisions between our friendly ships we could not make out what damage each of us should take. The rules (as printed from the Ares website) say on page 25 "Each ship takes a number of n damage tokens matching the total burden of all other ships overlapping it". After discussion we came to the conclusion that I would take the number of tokens equaling the burden of the ship I collided with and he would take my burden number of tokens. But then .... what does n mean???? We thought it might mean C? Can someone please look on their not printed off the website rules and tell me what their page 25 says please.

I am thinking that maybe the rules on the website are deliberately faulty so that we are encouraged to buy more starter sets? There seems to be many instances where the letter n is used in them rather than the correct token letters.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Quote Originally Posted by Baxter View Post
    My group of four played our second game last night. I got absolutely hammered and my bad moves included an early collision with my team mate. When we studied the rules relating to collisions between our friendly ships we could not make out what damage each of us should take. The rules (as printed from the Ares website) say on page 25 "Each ship takes a number of n damage tokens matching the total burden of all other ships overlapping it". After discussion we came to the conclusion that I would take the number of tokens equaling the burden of the ship I collided with and he would take my burden number of tokens. But then .... what does n mean???? We thought it might mean C? Can someone please look on their not printed off the website rules and tell me what their page 25 says please.

I am thinking that maybe the rules on the website are deliberately faulty so that we are encouraged to buy more starter sets? There seems to be many instances where the letter n is used in them rather than the correct token letters.
    It's supposed to be "B" tokens. Wow, that's harsh. We play that they just bump.

Ordinary Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Alex

The downloaded version is heavily compressed so all the images have a ton of artifacts. The B token throughout is kinda messy.

Name:  Annotation 2020-07-28 214714.jpg
Views: 106
Size:  87.3 KB

I always thought this rule was a bit aggressive and kinda out of place. They understandably only have it apply to friendly units so battles don't turn into ram fests, but at that point why worry about it at all. I think someone else mentioned that the risk of entanglement is enough of an incentive to avoid people.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I never got it either Alex. Two friendly ships would try to avoid a collision so we just give them an A damage on or above the difference in burden, so if a Sloop is hit by a three decker it is much worse than if it is hit by a Frigate for instance. The real problem as I see it is the fact that two enemy ships with intent are not damaged. we allow the same result for them as for any other ship.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.