Thread: Greetings from the UK

Landsman
    Great Britain

Log Entries
    Name
    Rob

Default Greetings from the UK

I thought I'd do my best to introduce myself to you all. I'm Rob and I'm from the UK.

I'll come clean and make you all aware that I am not currently a Sails of Glory player. I came upon this discussion board while searching for information on Age of Sail related war games and so far the information available has far surpassed that which I've found elsewhere.

I decided to sign on here as I'm currently searching for a war game based in the age of sail and I'm hoping that I'll find this with the aide of the more seasoned admirals and captains which inhabit this board.

My primary background when it comes to the table top is with various board games and an array of war games ranging from WW2 to the well known 40k. While I've had the urge to jump into the black powder age, and even more ancient times such as that of the Romans, there isn't much support for it in my local community.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Good to have you alongside Rob.
    A great welcome from the Fleet.
    I'm sure a few more shipmates will be along to greet you soon.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bryan

Welcome Rob!

If you're in search of a game there are a few options out there right now. Obviously Sails of Glory, which I chose over the others I mention due to simultaneous game play and having to plan your movement a turn in advance.

Master and Commander: Black Seas
    Oak & Iron
    1805: Seas of Glory

I'd suggest https://boardgamegeek.com/ as well for more researching on gaming.

Ordinary Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Alex

I haven't played Black Seas or Oak & Iron, but similar to Bryan, after looking through their rules in the past, was always turned off by the simplified sailing mechanisms and IGOUGO turns.

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Welcome to the Anchorage, Rob, from here near Norwich.

You can download the Sails of Glory rulebook free of charge from the Ares Games website at https://www.aresgames.eu/category/do...y-games/page/2

It may give you an idea of what it is like as a game. If you have questions, please feel free to ask them. You will find the members here are very friendly and helpful.

Midshipman
    Australia

Log Entries
    Name
    Gary

Hi Rob. Hope you enjoy your time here with this game. Lots of good advice here from friendly folk. There is a sister site too wingsofglory.org if you want to go flyng. ☺