Thread: New Player Any Suggestions

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bryan

Default New Player Any Suggestions

I can't contain my excitement. My starter set with game mat should arrive tomorrow. I have been watching many youtube videos and printed out a consolidated ruleset from here. Are there any suggestions for a newbie to get started?

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

I am not quite clear what you are asking for, Bryan. If you have an opponent available, there are some scenarios in the rulebook enclosed in the Starter Set. Also there is a campaign written for the Starter Set available from BoardGame Geek. See https://www.sailsofglory.org/showthr...r-Set-Campaign

If you explore this website, you will find other ideas for scenarios.

If you are alone, there are solo rules in the Files section.

Eventually, when you can afford it, you may wish to expand your fleet, which will expand you options for scenarios.

Get yourself two additional frigates and 3rd rates.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

If you use my soloplay system and have any questions just fire me a PM.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bryan

Thank you all for the suggestions! I appreciate it!

Sorry I wasn't clear David. I am just looking for any suggestions or tips you wish you had as a beginning.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

The 2nd hourglass card gets played behind the ship.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Only the full broadside, the middle dot, can rake.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bryan

These are great. Thank you!

The hourglass recommendation came in handy last night when I got my first few rounds completed.

Are there tips when you have to sail into the wind in order to circle towards your enemy? If I have to sail into the wind towards my enemy, my enemy is considered upwind?

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Quote Originally Posted by usfbrown View Post
    These are great. Thank you!

The hourglass recommendation came in handy last night when I got my first few rounds completed.

Are there tips when you have to sail into the wind in order to circle towards your enemy? If I have to sail into the wind towards my enemy, my enemy is considered upwind?
    Try to avoid tacking when in range of an upwind enemy. Regarding upwind, picture a line perpendicular to the wind direction, between you and the other ship. Whoever on the side of the line closer to where the wind is coming from is the upwind ship.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bryan

Quote Originally Posted by Dobbs View Post
    Try to avoid tacking when in range of an upwind enemy. Regarding upwind, picture a line perpendicular to the wind direction, between you and the other ship. Whoever on the side of the line closer to where the wind is coming from is the upwind ship.
    Thanks Dobbs! That really clears things up. I'm having to learn the ropes (bad pun intended) of sailing to properly play.

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

When first practicing, I'd go with a simpler version of "only use center broadside, and range is to anywhere on the other ship base." I also start with "Battle Sail, no sail changes" as a further simplification--right now I'm actually trying to strip things down into a Quick Play ruleset like the WGF Duel Packs, trying to convince Ares that a Sails version of those might be possible.

Start simple with basics, then add the advanced rules as you get more comfortable and confident with the game. Maybe even set up a few sessions where you're not even shooting, just practicing movements, like a race between ships as early practice.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB
    Historical Consultant to Ares, Wings and Sails - Unless otherwise noted, all comments are strictly Personal Opinion ONLY and not to be taken as official Company Policy.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bryan

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondback View Post
    When first practicing, I'd go with a simpler version of "only use center broadside, and range is to anywhere on the other ship base." I also start with "Battle Sail, no sail changes" as a further simplification--right now I'm actually trying to strip things down into a Quick Play ruleset like the WGF Duel Packs, trying to convince Ares that a Sails version of those might be possible.

Start simple with basics, then add the advanced rules as you get more comfortable and confident with the game. Maybe even set up a few sessions where you're not even shooting, just practicing movements, like a race between ships as early practice.
    Thanks for the excellent advice. I think that would be a great idea as there is a lot to learn with the game.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bryan

Finished my first game yesterday! Going to start the standard ruleset here soon. I had fun but it was a little hard to manage 4 ships solo. I found that some of the movement cards are so similar, I have trouble differentiating them. I also have to place the cards back into their numeric order after I use them.

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    James

Great gaming setup, and nice pictures! Can't wait to see your after action reports. I'd recommend checking out the Campaigns tab for solo play scenarios and others AARs. It's been really helpful to me as I get going, especially as I started right before quarantine hit!

Regards.
    James

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bryan

Quote Originally Posted by JimBlkHwk View Post
    Great gaming setup, and nice pictures! Can't wait to see your after action reports. I'd recommend checking out the Campaigns tab for solo play scenarios and others AARs. It's been really helpful to me as I get going, especially as I started right before quarantine hit!

Regards.
    James
    Thanks James! I build the table a few years ago for board gaming. I actually have a game underneath this as that plywood sheet lifts out to a recessed gaming space.

Great tips! I will check the Campaigns tab and AARs. I feel I have a lot to learn about tactics!

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Most important thing is to remember to start simple--"crawl before you try to walk, walk before you try to run." I don't recall if anybody's posted any, but I think a few guys have mentioned having cheat-sheet checklists of the various things to keep track of every turn.

One other thing: I suggest you make copies or scans of the logs, then laminate the printed copies and use a grease pencil to just write damage, special damage and used Captain/Crew abilities right on the log, less fighting with chits that way and less to worry about having jostled when Jabba-the-Gamer shows up to bump your table or a klutz like me trips and falls onto it. :)
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB
    Historical Consultant to Ares, Wings and Sails - Unless otherwise noted, all comments are strictly Personal Opinion ONLY and not to be taken as official Company Policy.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I build the table a few years ago for board gaming. I actually have a game underneath this as that plywood sheet lifts out to a recessed gaming space.

Great tips! I will check the Campaigns tab and AARs. I feel I have a lot to learn about tactics!
    That has also given me an idea for extending my new games table without needing to move it. I just need an extra 300 mm to take my 600mm games board squares side by side.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bryan

Most important thing is to remember to start simple--"crawl before you try to walk, walk before you try to run." I don't recall if anybody's posted any, but I think a few guys have mentioned having cheat-sheet checklists of the various things to keep track of every turn.

One other thing: I suggest you make copies or scans of the logs, then laminate the printed copies and use a grease pencil to just write damage, special damage and used Captain/Crew abilities right on the log, less fighting with chits that way and less to worry about having jostled when Jabba-the-Gamer shows up to bump your table or a klutz like me trips and falls onto it. :)
    Jabba the gamer!

Great ideas! I found a fillable PDF here that I can laminate.

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    That has also given me an idea for extending my new games table without needing to move it. I just need an extra 300 mm to take my 600mm games board squares side by side.
    Rob.
    Keep us posted on it! I've seen people make table toppers for gaming. I followed the thread/instructions on BGG's build a gaming table for $150. Although it did cost me more than that.
    https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/147...ming-table-150

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Already having my games room and table I should be able to do the add on without much bother.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bryan

Played another game with the Standard Rules. This ruleset really makes the game shine. The problem is I'm a terrible navigator! I went off the board with two ships and crashed multiple times.

I also played some rules wrong but am learning from it: I drew yellow chits for the collision instead of orange and I wasn't moving properly with which ship goes first, etc.

Oh well. Brits won again on the intro scenario. Time to add some more rules and maybe a new scenario.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Another "training" suggestion, consider a "Ship vs Shore Battery" scenario. That way you only have to keep track of one ship's movements while getting some gunnery practice.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bryan

Another "training" suggestion, consider a "Ship vs Shore Battery" scenario. That way you only have to keep track of one ship's movements while getting some gunnery practice.

Good idea! I think that can be my next scenario as I obviously need more training in how to anticipate movement. Thank you.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bryan

FYI I found this laser to be a very helpful tool for all gauging wind category and cannot arcs. It's a little dim but worth the price.

https://www.harborfreight.com/laser-marker-93242.html

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    James

Played another game with the Standard Rules. This ruleset really makes the game shine. The problem is I'm a terrible navigator! I went off the board with two ships and crashed multiple times.
    This is something I am still adjusting too. Ships always seem to.move further than I expect, and thus things happen more quickly than I suspect. So when planning maneuvers and tactics,I am always a little bit behind. Need to focus on not being so fancy and taking what I can get!

Regards,
    James

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bryan

Quote Originally Posted by JimBlkHwk View Post
    This is something I am still adjusting too. Ships always seem to.move further than I expect, and thus things happen more quickly than I suspect. So when planning maneuvers and tactics,I am always a little bit behind. Need to focus on not being so fancy and taking what I can get!

Regards,
    James
    I'm with you there. I'm hoping a few more games and I'll get more of a feel for the ships move.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

FYI I found this laser to be a very helpful tool for all gauging wind category and cannot arcs. It's a little dim but worth the price.

https://www.harborfreight.com/laser-marker-93242.html
    We have been using the laser for years. As you say they are very good for showing angles of fire. The ones we use are capable of projecting the light in both directions from the source, so that you can get the beam to spread from being half way between your two objectives and some way above it. They are not easy to find but a chap who does the Hammerhead show over here sells a few each time he comes. If you are there early enough you can pick one up. They may be on sale elsewhere, but I have never come across them.
    Rob.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bryan

We have been using the laser for years. As you say they are very good for showing angles of fire. The ones we use are capable of projecting the light in both directions from the source, so that you can get the beam to spread from being half way between your two objectives and some way above it. They are not easy to find but a chap who does the Hammerhead show over here sells a few each time he comes. If you are there early enough you can pick one up. They may be on sale elsewhere, but I have never come across them.
    Rob.
    That's how this laser works as well. It's like the ones you use for a circular saw in that it projects a line. I did see Army Painter has one that looks like it does both a point and a like. But to get it shipped to me its about three times the price of this cheap harbor freight one. It sure does help with this game tho!

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Hooray for Harbor Freight! I can barely wait to go to our local store now (still an hour away).

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bryan

Hooray for Harbor Freight! I can barely wait to go to our local store now (still an hour away).
    That's a little ways off! It's definitely a good store for those tool you don't need to be high quality. They also have some really good storage boxes for cheap compared to the big box stores.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

That's how this laser works as well. It's like the ones you use for a circular saw in that it projects a line. I did see Army Painter has one that looks like it does both a point and a like. But to get it shipped to me its about three times the price of this cheap harbor freight one. It sure does help with this game tho!
    Army Painter are the ones that I use Bryan.
    Rob.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bryan

Army Painter are the ones that I use Bryan.
    Rob.
    That is a nice one. I wish I could get it cheaper here but last I checked it was $30.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

£6 for mine! Rob.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bryan

£6 for mine! Rob.
    That's a steal. I just checked and it's $18 shipped from Army Painter web site. Maybe when mine $6 cheap one breaks.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

I have acquired a Harbor Freight laser and here's a comparison of laser light. Bear in mind that the laser in the picture is not the one being demonstrated.

Name:  20200714_183946.jpg
Views: 426
Size:  201.1 KB

Name:  20200714_183918.jpg
Views: 807
Size:  219.1 KB

Suzanne pointed out that the Harbor Freight one kind of looks like a telescope, so I think I'll dab some brass on it for effect.

All in all, it seems like a pretty decent purchase. The body is metal. The batteries that came with it were shot, but the store gave me 20% off because of it. The base has magnets in it, so beware, it's attractive

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bryan

Thanks for the comparison Dobbs. Army Painter looks more precise. I chucked the base of my harbor freight laser. It does the job well enough for me. Which do you prefer?

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I have acquired a Harbor Freight laser and here's a comparison of laser light. Bear in mind that the laser in the picture is not the one being demonstrated.

Thanks for the comparison Dobbs.
    I am very interested in that Harbour Freight one, because of the stand.
    When using my laser in solo games for the Anchorage it id often quite difficult to get the Laser in position with one hand and activate the camera with the other when marking the fire from one ship to the other, especially if trying to get a rakeing line and a good angle of photo without getting your hand and laser in the shot, plus maintaining a crisp line just from the ship which is firing and not an overlapping line is almost impossible to achieve.
    With that gismo I would elininate most of the problems in one go.
    How much did you have to stump up for it?

Rob.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bryan

I was able to get mine for $6.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Ah! Dobbs went to the same place as you Bryan. I did not connect the name. Ihave never come across Harbour Freight, and with his on a stand it did not make your one spring to mind. So the price with stand equates with what I paid for mine interesting. I feel a little lathe project coming on.
    Rob.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Name:  20200716_182116.jpg
Views: 402
Size:  160.5 KB

Greenwich Observatory gets a new telescope!

No wait, I just spruced up my Harbor Freight laser.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bryan

Dobbs that looks killer! Nice work!

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Dobbs that looks killer! Nice work!
    Thanks for the rep, Bryan! It wouldn't have happened if you hadn't found the laser in the Harbor Freight catalog!

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Looks great Dobbs and shows me just how they have afixed the stand. I have my own take on that.
    Rob.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bryan

Where do you all get the top country flags? They look great.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob