Thread: What's on Your Workbench for July 2020

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    Now Vol, just how long have you got to listen to my story about my finger saga? The story grows in the telling with the passing of the years, unlike the finger I'm afraid.
    Once your splint comes off, I suggest you emulate what I did at the suggestion of an old sea dog who had lost fingers himself. He told me to rub baby oil on the finger at least twice a day, and flex the joint as often as you could during the day as well to get full mobility back in the remaining joint. It worked for me although it took several months to get full mobility back. So if you can stand going about smelling like a Chinese house of ill repute, and giving everyone the come on with your finger, I suggest it as a good therapy.
    Now the bit about pegs. I have used a series of solutions, including turning my own from acrylic. You can get special machineable types as averse to the brittle stuff but it costs a bit more. I have also pinned on the pegs cut off the ships destined for wrecks. However, as these ships are one offs and not intended to have the cards changed, I will glue these directly to the base.
    Hope your hand is back to snuff soonest.
    Rob.
    Thanks for the advice Rob, I will give that a go. You still didn't say how you mangled yours. But that's ok. On to pegs, I have cut the pegs off the few SOG ships I have and added new pegs to the bases. That way I can use the ships for other rules (like KMH) or with sea base displays.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Hi Vol, let us just say that the kids at school said it was done by a sir killer saw and leave it at that for now.
    I cam only add that I highly reccomend Tungsten tipped blades for a neat job. I never even felt a thing until about twenty minutes later.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Today's action involved mostly painting sails.
    Here you can see my method of doing the stripes using masking tape.
    Rob.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    Hi Vol, let us just say that the kids at school said it was done by a sir killer saw and leave it at that for now.
    I cam only add that I highly reccomend Tungsten tipped blades for a neat job. I never even felt a thing until about twenty minutes later.
    Rob.
    Ah, so we are both old saws! Mine was a Rip Tooth Blade and it did its job well.