Thread: USS Constitution's "Turnaround" Cruises on July 4

Stats Committee
    2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bill

Default USS Constitution's "Turnaround" Cruises on July 4

As the oldest commissioned warship afloat in the world, Old Ironsides is taken out for a turnaround cruise every July 4. Please see the attached story on this (including some really interesting historic photos) from the USS Constitution museum:

https://ussconstitutionmuseum.org/20...round-cruises/

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Well they say you learn something new every day.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

A very enlightening article as usual, Bill. The photographs are very evocative of our era of sail power in all senses of the word. It brings back memories of my witnessing Hermione entering Yorktown, excepting that Constitution is an original and thus a much more emotional sight.
    Thanks for posting this.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Stats Committee
    2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bill

Hi Rob, were you at the Bicentennial Celebration of the Yorktown surrender ? If so, I was as well -- lots of stories to swap I am sure! BTW -- don't forget the Constitution will be firing a 21 gun salute from its decks during this year's turnaround cruise on July 4. Please see an earlier thread of mine on this with Facebook link to watch event which is scheduled for 12 noon Eastern time.
    B.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Here are a few of the many shots I took on the day Bill.

Hermione still a good way out just emerging from the morning mist

George waits for
    Lafayette

The salute to the fort.

Safe alongside.

Our hosts for most of the weeks outings, Richard and Sheryl Schwab from the Drome.

Two Hermiones for the price of one.

Not many of these Hermione ships have made it both ways across the Atlantic.
    Mine has and so has the big one behind me.
    Rob.
    Attached Images Attached Images       
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Quote Originally Posted by Wentworth View Post
    As the oldest commissioned warship afloat in the world, Old Ironsides is taken out for a turnaround cruise every July 4. Please see the attached story on this (including some really interesting historic photos) from the USS Constitution museum:

https://ussconstitutionmuseum.org/20...round-cruises/

Prior to the latest drydocking you could put your name into a lottery to be a passenger for the turnaround cruise. I am not sure they started that up again, and of course I am thinking she is currently closed to visitors due to Covid19. I was in Annapolis recently and the US Naval Academy is closed to visitors unless you have a DoD ID. Last time I was aboard was prior to the refit. I did however watch her sail for the launch bicentennial in 1997.

Stats Committee
    2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by DeRuyter View Post
    Prior to the latest drydocking you could put your name into a lottery to be a passenger for the turnaround cruise. I am not sure they started that up again, and of course I am thinking she is currently closed to visitors due to Covid19. I was in Annapolis recently and the US Naval Academy is closed to visitors unless you have a DoD ID. Last time I was aboard was prior to the refit. I did however watch her sail for the launch bicentennial in 1997.
    Yes you are right -- it (and the museum) have been closed during the pandemic (although the virtual museum remains open). In the 1990's I lived just outside Boston for three years and walked Old Ironsides decks many times. Back in the 1970's I was visiting a rural antique shop in Western Massachusetts and found they had a old watercolor depicting one of the turnaround cruises -- and it wasn't exorbitantly priced! I nearly pulled a muscle getting my wallet out quickly to purchase it. To this day it still hangs in my home:
    Name:  Constitution.jpg
Views: 198
Size:  98.2 KB

Stats Committee
    2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bill

Hi Rob,
    I spent the week of the Yorktown surrender bicentennial as a musketman in the 2nd New York Regt., Continental Line. Below is a photo of our division that week (we are tan coats faced blue). There were five divisions of Continental and French troops and two divisions of British, Loyalist, and Hessian troops -- over 5,000 re-enactors in all on the battlefield. I marched the works and fired on the British positions and donned a light infantry cap to storm Redoubt No. 10. The actual surrender ceremony was very moving as the British, Loyalist, and Hessian troops marched out between our formed lines to lay down arms on the surrender field -- they carried it off SO very well.
    Dignitaries from each of the involved countries attended -- we marched in review right before them -- President and Mrs. Reagan, Vice President George H.W. Bush and Mrs, Bush, Helmut Kohl, Francois Mitterand, and the UK Chancellor of the Exchequer. Also in the reviewing stand was Governor of Virginia Warner (nobody cared) and his wife Elizabeth Taylor (EVERYBODY cared). As our regiment passed before them we changed from our route step into our parade step (a modified goose-step -- remember Von Steuben trained them) and Reagan pointed at us in delight. Each nation sent a modern military detachment that also passed in review after us (we were formed up opposite the reviewing stand). The Royal Army sent a contingent from the Royal Welsh Fusiliers dressed in war of 1812 uniforms from their museum. A big RSM led a ram with a blanket over its back with all the historic battle honors of the regiment on it just in front of the regimental band playing "Men of Harlech' (way cool). The French troops stole the show with their panache and drill (see video attached below). Germany sent a crack paratrooper unit, the US sent the joint services drill team (honestly they paled in comparison to the European units). There were fighter flyovers, paratrooper drops, and all manner of cool activities. At the 1:43 mark of the video attached below is the simulated naval engagement in Yorktown harbor of Admiral de Grasse turning away the RN relief squadron.
    The last photo attached is a portion of my unit at Valley Forge after winning our second consecutive national championship for re-enactment units. Judges examined the units drill (manual of arms and marching maneuver execution), firing discipline (volley fire and feu de joie), historical knowledge, and camp life. 1,000 points to anyone who successfully identifies me in this picture!
    B.

Yorktown bicentennial video (please ignore the 5 second paid advert at the beginning of video):
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9fX9-Ptcng
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by Wentworth; 07-02-2020 at 13:57. Reason: I can't figure out how to fix the photos --Sorry!

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Oh yes!
    Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Could you be the one kneeling down extreme left in the bottom photo as I have now arranged them, Bill?

Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Now I watched the video I know how you beat Cornwallis Bill. Paratroops and Jet Fighters!
    Rob.

Stats Committee
    2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    Could you be the one kneeling down extreme left in the bottom photo as I have now arranged them, Bill?

Rob.
    Oh, I'm sorry no-- that's one down and two to go -- here's a hint: find the handsomest fella in the picture!

BTW -- the fellow you identified was known in our unit at "Phillipe of New Paltz". His name was Phil (he lived in New Paltz, NY) and he designed and hand sewed all the uniforms for the unit with 100% historical accuracy (that's a lot of whip stitching...)
    Last edited by Wentworth; 07-02-2020 at 14:47.

Stats Committee
    2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    Now I watched the video I know how you beat Cornwallis Bill. Paratroops and Jet Fighters!
    Rob.
    So true, but Rochambeau and de Grasse MAY have had something to do with it as well.....