Threaded View

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

I made a mockup to explore this. To make it easier to follow, I've turned the pictures 90 degrees to the left. For those trying to follow, that means when I say right, I mean top. Rob, if you can fix my pictures it will all be a lot clearer.

Here, the boat would be on a starboard tack, with the bow to the right. With the sail drawing, the clew would be in the bottom left. The tack is at the bottom of the yard to the right.

To jibe or wear, as the boat turns directly downwind, the crew casts off the port sheet, letting the clew go forward past the mast. At the same time, a crewmember trims the tack in tight, making the yard go vertical.

As the wind crosses the stern and the boat comes on to a port tack, the yard will naturally want to be on the leeward side of the mast, and the starboard sheet is trimmed in as the tack is eased.

Piece of cake! Of course, this is all guesswork from watching YouTube videos. I have never sailed a dipping lateen rig.

My conclusion is that a xebec jibing or wearing can go from an advantaged tack to an advantaged tack. I retract my original rule.

Aahh! I take that back! This only works on a boat without shrouds!
    Last edited by Bligh; 06-12-2020 at 01:43.