Thread: International Naval Wargames Day 2020

Surveyor of the Navy
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Default International Naval Wargames Day 2020

Its only two months until the 2020 International Naval Wargames Day!

Celebrate the birth of the father of naval wargaming, Fred T Jane, on the occasion of his birthday. Play games, solo or with friends (covid permitting), and post your action reports here, on your blog or your favourite wargaming websites.

Help raise the profile of naval wargaming by supporting INWarD 2020!

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Thanks for the heads up Dave. A timely reminder. I must get my thinking cap on.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Landsman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Pete

Default No details ?

Quote Originally Posted by David Manley View Post
    Its only two months until the 2020 International Naval Wargames Day!
    Celebrate the birth of the father of naval wargaming, Fred T Jane, on the occasion of his birthday. Play games, solo or with friends (covid permitting), and post your action reports here, on your blog or your favourite wargaming websites.
    Help raise the profile of naval wargaming by supporting INWarD 2020!

Just been online , found their web page but NO details ? http://www.navalwargamessociety.org/events.html

FORTHCOMING EVENTS
    Last updated 26th October 2019
    Learn about the NWS
    Society news Naval Wargames Weekend, 2020
    After the success of the 2019 Naval Wargames Weekend it has been decided that the event will run again in 2020. Details will be published here as and when they are available.

Surveyor of the Navy
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

That's the Naval Wargaming Weekend, at Yeovilton which isn't running in 2020 because of Covid.

INWarD is a day of naval gaming all across the world. It's not a single event in a single location.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Thanks for clarifying that for those who were unaware of what goes on each year Dave.
    I had not spotted Pete's post otherwise I would have answered.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Apropos of nothing, it occurs to me that Sails might be a good candidate for Tabletop Simulator, other than the From Hell task of creating the digital "miniatures."
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB
    Historical Consultant to Ares, Wings and Sails - Unless otherwise noted, all comments are strictly Personal Opinion ONLY and not to be taken as official Company Policy.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

If only we could find someone to do that DB.
    What I would like is to be able to play my normal game but have something do all the hard graft of keeping the record of what was going on, a bit like those Chess games where you move the peices on the board and play against an AI who computes his moves and any resulting outcomes.
    Rob.
    Last edited by Bligh; 06-09-2020 at 12:54.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

I'd like that, and kind of a digital First Mate that keeps track of all the various weather/etc effects and the resources available to you, then suggests a few "recommended" options. You're still free to play illegal cards and suffer the consequences, but you'd have the benefit of advice first before making that choice.

Bonus if it includes a "Record and Replay" feature where you can create Video AAR's... :)
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB
    Historical Consultant to Ares, Wings and Sails - Unless otherwise noted, all comments are strictly Personal Opinion ONLY and not to be taken as official Company Policy.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Yes DB that would be just the ticket.
    Rob.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Tabletop Simulator for SoG has a basic set up on Steam already. A member named Valadian worked on it. Search Tabletop Simulator and you should spot the thread from 2018. It’s just the Starter Set and a few other 3rd rates. I’ve never looked at the mod but if no one here is on Steam I could try to look it up?
    "It's not the towering sails, but the unseen wind that moves a ship."
    –English Proverb

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

That would be very useful Jim.
    Thanks.
    Rob.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    That would be very useful Jim.
    Thanks.
    Rob.
    The original thread is here: https://www.sailsofglory.org/showthr...etop+simulator

When I looked this morning there is no working 'sim' for Sails of Glory on Tabletop Simulator. However, from the above thread I did find the workshop listing at the link he provided: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfil...?id=1606109976

If I get a chance later today I'll check on Steam to see if the workshop mod is actually active.
    –English Proverb

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Thanks again Jim.
    Over and above the call of duty.
    Rob.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Thanks again Jim.
    Over and above the call of duty.
    Rob.
    Turns out there are two SoG 'mods' on the Tabletop Simulator platform found on Steam. There were a number of other sailing game items as well. See below for links. I'm not sure when I'll have time to test them out, but if you're on Steam I believe the mods are open to all for testing purposes. Cheers!

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfil...sails+of+glory

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfil...sails+of+glory

P.S. Thanks for the rep, Rob.
    –English Proverb

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Thanks again Jim.
    Rob.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Too bad Ares can't seem to get it together on digital, with all the failures at Wings apps... TTS has a demonstrated record of performance, so it seems to me that if it can handle everything needed it might be better for Ares to go all-in on them as a platform for e-games.

After the existing licenses expire, of course... those are still out there, just in limbo.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

It would seem we have totally hijacked Dave's thread, so first apologies to Dave.
    If you would like to start this again elsewhere Dave feel free to do so.
    Rob.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

It would seem we have totally hijacked Dave's thread, so first apologies to Dave.
    If you would like to start this again elsewhere Dave feel free to do so.
    Rob.
    Apologies David. To bring the OP back on track here's David's post from The Miniature Page with some plans that folks over there might be doing on the the day.

http://theminiaturespage.com/boards/msg.mv?id=531616
    –English Proverb

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

TMP page temporarily closed for maintenance.
    Rob.

Surveyor of the Navy
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Yes, TMP has a quaint way of closing down for an hour or so eac day for database management. It'll be back in a sort while.
    Last edited by David Manley; 06-12-2020 at 06:58.