Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What's on your workbench for June?

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

The real tricksy bit comes now. Getting the masts set up at the correct angle for the sails. I have cut one sail profile to help position the masts before silver soldering them.
    Rob.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
    Missed the photos of the finished port but caught them now.
    Thanks very much for the Rep John. Glad you liked it and hope it will encourage a few more shipmates to have a go. Very therapeutic during lockdown.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Yesterday I finished off Soldering the masts, cleaned them up, and cut out the sails.
    I then glued them into place on the masts.
    Today i will cut the masts to final length and trial them on the ship before adding a few extra details to the sails and hull.
    Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Today I got the sails all completed and afixed to the masts with the excess on the masts trimmed down to size. this evening the close is having a happy hour or two before the thunder storms break up the weather so no work for the rest of today.
    Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Masts and sails in place for trial fitting.
    Next cutting back the nest of long boats to reduce them downto one.
    A sheet of glasspaper and a good rubbing on the underside should do the trick.
    Rob.
    Last edited by Bligh; 06-27-2020 at 00:52.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Ships boats reduced to two and glued in place.
    Also undercoat on all new work and modified surfaces prior to painting.
    Today I will start detailing the sails.

Rob.
    Last edited by Bligh; 06-27-2020 at 12:55.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Slight change of plan. Today I completed the painting of the hull.
    Rob.
    Last edited by Bligh; 06-28-2020 at 05:21.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

The sails and masts are now being detailed.

Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Today's work on the sails is completed.
    Just a matter of attatching to the ship now.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    Today's work on the sails is completed.
    Just a matter of attatching to the ship now.

Did you tape off to paint the stripes? Are there stripes on the other side as well?

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Morning Dobbs.
    I cut masking tape down the middle and then painted the red stripes between, before removing the tape which came off easily as I used the low tack type.
    The other side is done, but not as well!
    Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Well here we are. All Xebec shape and Morroco fashion. Thanks for the base card Dobbs. I will post my ship card when completed tomorrow.

Rob.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Very good work, Rob.

I'm glad to see you holding the fort (or should I say shipyard) of ship building when I'm away.
    I now have a weekly commute of 75 miles each way and a lot less time for Sails or conversions.
    I will be back, but I don't know when.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Thanks jonas I will try to keep things on the boil for you.
    Meanwhile here is the before and after picture.
    Rob.

Well that is one formidable looking xebec Rob! Excellent mod! Did you say what you used for the frill ties across the top edge of the sails, or did I miss it?

I finished Gunner's third ship tonight, the Bonhomme Richard. On this one I left the deck alone except for plugging the old flag pole hole in the aft deck, and repainted the hull. For some reason Ares painted the hull black and gunwales bright red??? They do some weird stuff. Again the spanker and stay sails were billowed in opposite directions, weird! So scratch stay sails to match the spanker, old masts cut away and sails cleaned up. New masts attached to sails and fully rigged.

Original
    Name:  20200525_113458.jpg
Views: 425
Size:  181.3 KB
    Name:  20200630_195949.jpg
Views: 484
Size:  141.0 KB
    Name:  20200630_200016.jpg
Views: 422
Size:  128.1 KB
    Name:  20200630_200041.jpg
Views: 430
Size:  123.7 KB
    Name:  20200630_200052.jpg
Views: 436
Size:  135.6 KB
    Name:  20200630_200104.jpg
Views: 444
Size:  124.3 KB
    Name:  20200630_200113.jpg
Views: 464
Size:  89.2 KB
    Name:  20200630_200122.jpg
Views: 536
Size:  127.4 KB
    Name:  20200630_200500.jpg
Views: 445
Size:  118.0 KB

Packed up and ready to go
    Name:  20200630_201307.jpg
Views: 524
Size:  168.2 KB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Firstly thanks for the Rep Vol.
    I had been using some thin masking film for the stripe along the side to do the stripes, and was pondering on what to use for the frill ties. I usually raid Mrs Bligh's twine store for rigging, bow strings and the like, but was unconvinced that I could jiggle the short bits into place and super glue them whilst wearing my new respirator mask which upsets my close up vision somehow. Mrs B suggested cutting the masking along its length and using that. The low tack heled the bits on whilst allowing time to adjust slightly. That woeked a treat as you can see so Rep points to Mrs B.

Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I can now also rep you back for the superb work on your latest modification. Gunner must be over the moon with that.
    I on the orher hand now have a new paint job to fill in my lockdown time, as I don't like my Richard in its current colour scheme either.
    Rob.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

That truly are excellent work from both of you!

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Thank you for your kind remark Jonas, and even more Rep.I am overwhelmed with goodies!
    Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Here is the ship card for the Frigate which I have just finished.
    Next the ship mat.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

As promised here is my Ship mat card.
    Rob.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Name:  20181107_132149.jpg
Views: 684
Size:  137.3 KB

Garrr! Rob, I liked your xebec frigate so much that I yanked the mizzen out of my xebec convert and am preparing to redo the raised stern.

Ooh, ooh, and the striped sails!

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Rob, I think you could raise the musketry on that vessel. They were known to have a big crew and I think that would make an interesting difference more than "just" a beautiful conversion.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Thanks for the advice Jonas. Did yo read my bit in the House rules section? I was fighting the urge to do that with reasoning. Not always the best way to proceed. On your advice I now swing back to the idea of giving her the small arms power of the 50 gun ship which has an equivalent crew of 350. for boarding I am allowing an extra chip if no fewer than 50 percent of the crew are still in action. I have issues with boarding rules anyway, but that is best dealt with elsewhere.
    Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Dobbs View Post

Garrr! Rob, I liked your xebec frigate so much that I yanked the mizzen out of my xebec convert and am preparing to redo the raised stern.

Ooh, ooh, and the striped sails!
    Really sorry Dobbs. I had no intention of putting you to extra trouble. Your ship was what started me on the trail of producing one of my own, and for that incentive I am once again in your debt.
    Rob.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    Really sorry Dobbs. I had no intention of putting you to extra trouble. Your ship was what started me on the trail of producing one of my own, and for that incentive I am once again in your debt.
    Rob.
    No worries, Rob! I am confident that it will be an improvement, using some of your strategies.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by TexaS View Post
    Rob, I think you could raise the musketry on that vessel. They were known to have a big crew and I think that would make an interesting difference more than "just" a beautiful conversion.
    Here is my modified ship card Jonas.
    Thanks for the suggestion.
    Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

A little progress on ship number two today.
    Rob.