Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What's on your workbench for June?

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Today I have been mainly shopping for Epoxy glue and painting cannon.

Rob.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Volunteer View Post
    Rob, I forgot to ask what are those cylinder things in amongst the palms?
    Just spotted theis Vol.
    Those cylinders are not very interesting. When I am painting Wings aircraft the pegs slip into the tops and I can prime the aircraft top and underside in one go. The fatter one is for the bomber pegs.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Able Seaman
    Puerto Rico

Log Entries
    Name
    Rolando

Lord, is this beautiful!!

A very well-crafter repaint, lovely to look at.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Indeed it is Rolando.
    As I remarked earlier the artwork on that stern certainly blew me out of the water.

Rob.

Guys, I didn't do the artwork. That's the Ares stern. All I did was put a touch of blue-silver in the windows.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I never knew that Ares had done a stern like that Vol. I must look at my models more closely in future.
    Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Here is my endevour for the day.
    Castle now completed with guns in place, a few camel thorn bushes clinging to the crags, a couple of Palm trees, and my Algerine flag flying overall.
    Tomorrow the town will get a similar treatment.

Rob.
    Last edited by Bligh; 06-13-2020 at 10:15.

A mighty fort...

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Today, between gardening I have completed the Town and Port Sven.
    They can now go off to the workshop for a good coating of matt varnish.
    I will place them in situ tomorrow and post the final photos. Then it is on with my Langton ships for the harbour.
    Rob.

Port Sven, great name for a Moroccan port, I love it!
    This is truly beautiful Rob! Now all you need is a population like Julian's Cuban town.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Thank you for your kind comments and the Rep for this work and on the Ships History.
    Later today I hope to get the final pictures up once the varnish is dry.
    Rob.

Midshipman
    Spain

Log Entries
    Name
    Ferrante

Very nice works here . Sorry I have lot of work due to the new normality .
    I has been investigating more . And finally added some vegetation to the port , and one Xebec

Name:  1C4E3725-1E4C-4372-AC16-E70A9D45D58E.jpg
Views: 556
Size:  226.2 KB

Name:  B147E427-D969-458B-9682-DA30BD48CEFD.jpg
Views: 578
Size:  211.7 KB

The second part needs to wait

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrante View Post
    Very nice works here . Sorry I have lot of work due to the new normality .
    I has been investigating more . And finally added some vegetation to the port , and one Xebec

Name:  1C4E3725-1E4C-4372-AC16-E70A9D45D58E.jpg
Views: 556
Size:  226.2 KB

Name:  B147E427-D969-458B-9682-DA30BD48CEFD.jpg
Views: 578
Size:  211.7 KB

The second part needs to wait
    Very nice Ferrante! What is the xebec ship in the background? Not an Ares SOG ship surely? Perhaps a 3D ship?

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

The extra vegitation gives a very plesant softness to the rugged terrain Ferrante. Maybe I should have added more to my arid and barren landscape to match that in the backdrop. I will look into that.
    Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Meanwhile here is the completed Port and castle in place.

Midshipman
    Spain

Log Entries
    Name
    Ferrante

Hello Vol . Thank you for your comments . That Xebec is from AliExpress , is not detailed one but it works as a model . I repainted it with red sails .

Yes Rob. Thank you . I was reviewing actual Alger with google maps and it changed my view of desert areas . Some Mediterranean low trees .

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I will take a leaf out of your book and add a few more bushes to my landscape then Ferrante.
    Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

This little lot
    jJust arrived in the post. So its all systems go with my conversion to a Xebec Frigate.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Redcoat View Post
    This is looking very well.
    Thanks for the Rep Julián.
    Rob.

Nice final result, Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Thanks Sven.
    If it had not been for your Nile game I would not have gone this way at all.
    Also thanks for the Rep.

Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Today my Spanish Frigate has been stripped down ready for action.
    Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Today I cut out the stern configuration, cut back the upper deck and removed the six sternmost guns ready for the alterations to the poop.
    Rob.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Rob, I just watched a YouTube video on terrain modeling and the builder recommended a product you might be aware of? No mention of an odor or allergic issues like super glues so maybe this will also work for you? In the US it's called Locktite, but in the UK it's "No More Nails". Here's a link on Amazon. Cheers.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=no+more...l_539q07uiqo_p

Edit: He uses this extensively for putting down ground detail; grasses, trees, boulders, etc.
    "It's not the towering sails, but the unseen wind that moves a ship."
    –English Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    Meanwhile here is the completed Port and castle in place.
    Wow! Every one of your terrain pieces I think is the best one I've ever seen! Until you create the next one! Tremendous!

What is the primed xebec to the left? I am assuming you are useing it as as your model?

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Thanks Jim.
    I have used No more Nails for joining my foamboards and also my polystyrene together but not on trees or shrubs. It may be something to turn to again. Ithink that very fine work may easily become obscured by the overspill when it squeezes uot at the edges, but I will give it a trial next time I go to B&Q.
    Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

What is the primed xebec to the left? I am assuming you are useing it as as your model?
    That is correct Vol. I am using it to scale up the sizes for my Ares one.
    Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Just seen the Rep for the Castle Vol. Thanks very much.
    Rob.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    That is correct Vol. I am using it to scale up the sizes for my Ares one.
    Rob.
    Of the three small frigate choices, what led you to the Spanish one, Rob? I'm just asking because this is a mod that I have been considering, and it's fun watching someone else take the leap first.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I was reading an article on Spanish ships that had been captured by the Moors Dobbs, and then came across the Spanish Frigate they designed with the lines of a Xebec. As Langton's did one I knew that I could get a model to base it upon, and thus the plot was hatched. Now you are privy to my innermost secrets!
    Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Here is today's work.
    Produced and glued the framework for the stern and bows for the new ship.
    Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

A lot of work but not much to show today.
    I removed the existing companion ladders up to the Poop and Foredeck, cleaned out the maindeck, put in a new hatchway, and then installed a new set of steps to the Poop in the center of the deck. Then completed the shaping of the bows and slimming down the after part of the hull. Also failed in an attempt to mass produce some small cannons. More about that when I hit on a solution.
    Rob.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Aaron

Rob, outstanding work on the fort and buildings!

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Thanks Aaron.
    Rob.

The ship is looking like a xebec, so that's a good thing!

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Glad you said that Vol. I was a bit worried yesterday that it still looked like a Spanish Frigate. I think that cutting off the tumblehome and thinning the stern helped the illusion. TodaybI am going to wrestle with the guns again.
    Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

After several failures to produce small cannon involving superglue with a Fume proof mask on I tried some magnetic tape and steel wire for the barrels.The wire looked too large in diameter so I forgot that idea, and went back to sprue and my old friend the plastic sheet with plastic weld as the adhesive. This worked a treat. Here are the barrels glued down and all ready to cut out and fix on deck tomorrow.

Rob, in 1/1200 scale scratch building I use monofiliment fishing line painted black for cannon barrels. Cut in segments for cannon: 4lb test are 6 pdrs; 8lb test are 9 pdrs; 12lb test are 12 pdrs; 20lb test are 24 pdrs; 30lb test are 32 pdrs, etc. Easy to work with and PVA glue works well to bind them to the 110lb card carriages.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

If I do any more I will give that a look over Vol.
    Thanks for the info. The relative sizes are great. I will just scale up for my 1/1000 scale.
    Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Guns glued to deck.
    Next in line filling hole in stern with Milliput and shaping rudder whilst it hardens.
    Rob.

good modeling work !

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Thanks Julián.
    It is a while since I did a ship conversion.
    Rob.

Midshipman
    Spain

Log Entries
    Name
    Ferrante

Nice job . Very detailed . I like how it it looking .
    You have a lot of experience and good ideas I will copy .
    Regards

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Glad to be of service to you Ferrante.
    After all our little community is here to help each other get as much enjoyment out of the game as we have invested in time and money.
    Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Yesterday I milliputted the stern and a gap under the foredeck. Whilst that went off I glued th rudder onto a steel rod and shaped it ready for inserting tomorrow.
    Rob.

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

After an unfortunate port accident, HMS Hibernia's foremast has been re-set and she's ready for sea again.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB
    Historical Consultant to Ares, Wings and Sails - Unless otherwise noted, all comments are strictly Personal Opinion ONLY and not to be taken as official Company Policy.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Rudder now in place and I am setting up the sticks in a trial run.

Rob.
    Last edited by Bligh; 06-24-2020 at 00:50.

The xebec is looking exceptionally good in my opinion

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    John

Missed the photos of the finished port but caught them now a great piece of work.

The Xebec is coming on very nicely, ship modelling is not my thing but I recognise a master at work.