Author:
    Mark Lardas
    ISBN:
    Category:
    Reference
    Format:
    Paperback
    Summary:
    This is an Osprey Publishing - New Vanguard series book. It covers the development and deployment of these ships, from their start as awkward outliers to the standard fo post-Napoleonic frigates.

It features a range of historic art and color plates by Tony Bryan.

I find it a good quick reference book.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Bligh; 05-18-2020 at 01:15.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Now that looks like a good book for people like me with little real knowledge of the US Navy, as an introduction to start on Dobbs.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    Now that looks like a good book for people like me with little real knowledge of the US Navy, as an introduction to start on Dobbs.
    Rob.
    It is, well worth the read. You'll also want the volume on Light and Medium Frigates--Mark Lardas is Osprey's rockstar for fighting sail, at least with USN.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB
    Historical Consultant to Ares, Wings and Sails - Unless otherwise noted, all comments are strictly Personal Opinion ONLY and not to be taken as official Company Policy.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Cheers DB.
    Now on my shopping list.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Just looked on Amazon. The Light and Medium Frigates in Paperback is £38. Maybe I'll wait a bit.
    Rob.

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Check Ospry Direct, they have a 30% off sale til end of the month. Or 45% off e-books, which I prefer because they mean I don't need a third hand to futz with the book while working on a model. :)
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB
    Historical Consultant to Ares, Wings and Sails - Unless otherwise noted, all comments are strictly Personal Opinion ONLY and not to be taken as official Company Policy.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I will have a squint at that today then DB. Thanks for the advice.I never check them direct as they are usually more expensive than elsewhere, but with 30% off they may well beat that price.
    Rob.