Thread: Double shot with different ammunition

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    James

Default Double shot with different ammunition

Apologies for multiple house rules post in one day. Read a few nonfiction historical accounts in a row, and a lot of ideas on the brain!

Has anyone played with using double shot but using different types of ammunition? Have read accounts o double shot, but with one ball/one grape, and was wondering if anyone as done so in SoG. Imagine it would be similar to the current double shot rule (two turns to load), but one would choose what they were loading. Would likely need to indicate somehow with chits, but not necessarily reveal to opponent before firing. If grape or chain was used, would need to be from C/D range. The ball shot could do A or B damage (curious on folks thoughts on this.

Also read of some triple shotting, but may be a bridge too far.

Best,
    James

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

So far, A.A. hasn't allowed it, for fear of One-Shot Kills like Victory delivering a "Buck & Ball"* from a 68pdr carronade through Bucentaure's stern gallery at Halitosis Range for Nelson's opening salvo at Trafalgar.
    *Cannonball made a hole, then the kegload of musket balls followed it through like a Shotgun From Hell

My personal thought is that since IIRC current double is an A and a B at B Range, a "combi load" should be A+C/A+D--if it was me I would have made DS two A's since that second ball costs you a lot in both accuracy and penetration.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB
    Historical Consultant to Ares, Wings and Sails - Unless otherwise noted, all comments are strictly Personal Opinion ONLY and not to be taken as official Company Policy.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

In all our games other than at shows we allow the double shot to be used. Of course chain or bar shot is de facto double shot when loaded and so could not be safely added to for fear of splitting the gun. As DB says I find a stern rake with ball over canister very effective indeed especially if it also has the first fire bonus as well. i would not advocate it in a single ship action, however, unless you were great friends with your protagonist.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    James

Diamondback and Rob,

Thanks for the thoughts, much appreciated. Makes sense on A/C damage and keeping combinations to ball and grape.

Regards,
    James

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Thanks James, glad to be of help. That still leaves one question unanswered. Should double shot only be that effective if used at the extra short range of grape, or is it OK to use the AB of double at short range as for double ball, and for double ball at extra short range use BB?
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.