Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Default Ships of the Line comments.

This thread is for remarks about my closed post on this subject.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Since Dave was talking about scratchbuilding a 74 via SLP, I'm going to spitball some thoughts...

1. A bigger ship might be a better first design, maybe consider Ville de Paris or Hibernia, or a "correction" Britannia with open galleries, or a beefier replacement Meregildos, as a first effort?
    2. All of Slade's 74s except the Albions are already covered by SGN104, which also tolerably passes for Williams's designs. My humble suggestion would be to consider doing two different designs, a Middling and a Large, one based on the descendants of 1761 Courageux (which includes the Forty Thieves) and one of the later-generation home-team designs by Hunt, Henslow or Rule.

Some of my old notes on British 74's: https://www.sailsofglory.org/showthr...tching+sculpts
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB
    Historical Consultant to Ares, Wings and Sails - Unless otherwise noted, all comments are strictly Personal Opinion ONLY and not to be taken as official Company Policy.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

"Hey Rob, I have truly been enjoying this thread and I am looking at getting back into some scratch building, would this be a good place to re-enter or are there more pressing needs? Casting hulls and forming sails and the rigging fun, are all calling . . . "

This quote from Clipper explains what DB is talking about.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

BTW, 1776 Culloden is conspicuous in her absence... :p I'm working up a companion post with stats and model suggestions.
    Last edited by Diamondback; 05-15-2020 at 18:36.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB
    Historical Consultant to Ares, Wings and Sails - Unless otherwise noted, all comments are strictly Personal Opinion ONLY and not to be taken as official Company Policy.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Sounds like a great idea to me DB. I am almost ready to start on the warships built post 1793. Only six of the ships in service 1792 still to do.
    Go for it.
    Rob.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Still have quite a few that didn't make it to 1792 as well... watch your email, I'm about to send you an Excel version. :)
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I am only doing the Napolionic period DB, so if you fancy having a go at any of the SYW or AWI ships that did not make it please feel free to have a go on a closed thread of your own.
    Rob.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    I am only doing the Napolionic period DB, so if you fancy having a go at any of the SYW or AWI ships that did not make it please feel free to have a go on a closed thread of your own.
    Rob.
    Gotcha. Some names were recycled 2 or 3 times from 1750s-1815, so maybe I should split the table as gone before AWI (pre-1776), extant AWI but gone before French Rev Wars (1776-92), and Continental Wars (1793-1815; both Revolutionary and Napoleonic France).

I tend to be a bit of a completist, when I see holes in a roster I tend to get nagged by a little thing in the back of my head about accounting for the missing entries. :)
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Morning DB.
    When I started this I was not sure how far I would go before I got bored with it, so started with the early Napolionic era. Now I am near the end of that, I will move onto the later ships. I was very tempted to do ships of the same name together, but fdelt that would break the pattern so reluctantly decided to finish one time frame before embarking on the next. I will take on the next 81 ships built up to 1815, and then move on to the 60/64s. etc. However, dont expect to see any Frigates within my lifetime. Some of these ships are taking three or four days to collate and then edit into a readable format.
    Rob.