Thread: *What's on your workbench for May?

Hybrid View

I finished the brig tonight
    Name:  20200524_210021.jpg
Views: 823
Size:  157.7 KB
    Name:  20200524_210032.jpg
Views: 1430
Size:  158.0 KB
    Name:  20200524_210042.jpg
Views: 1396
Size:  142.1 KB
    Name:  20200524_210054.jpg
Views: 829
Size:  154.3 KB
    Name:  20200524_210103.jpg
Views: 894
Size:  158.0 KB
    Name:  20200524_210129.jpg
Views: 716
Size:  151.2 KB
    Name:  20200524_210158.jpg
Views: 1538
Size:  150.0 KB
    Name:  20200524_210626.jpg
Views: 858
Size:  161.3 KB
    Name:  20200524_210707.jpg
Views: 820
Size:  189.3 KB
    Name:  20200524_211055.jpg
Views: 973
Size:  161.1 KB
    Name:  20200524_211536.jpg
Views: 1008
Size:  140.6 KB
    Heading into the Mediterranean

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Good to see them Vol. I can use a bit of help in the Med against those pesky Algerines.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Filled in a few gaps this morning and now have it primed ready for a spray can of sand colour undercoat. I have a few days to kill until that arrives from Amazon, so will now start work on planning the layout of the town.
    Rob.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    Good to see them Vol. I can use a bit of help in the Med against those pesky Algerines.
    Rob.
    They need to get there before they complete those new fortifications!

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Best thing to do is ambush the paint convoy then Vol.
    Just looked at your pictures again. They would be good enough to enlarge and put up on the wall.
    Bligh.

Vol, another great job. I especially like the filling effect of the sails and the detail of the pulleys on the rigging.

Quote Originally Posted by Volunteer View Post
    I finished the brig tonight

Name:  20200524_211055.jpg
Views: 973
Size:  161.1 KB
    Name:  20200524_211536.jpg
Views: 1008
Size:  140.6 KB
    Heading into the Mediterranean
    Wow amazing work Vol!!

Have you given a thought to modifying the set of the spanker?

It is one thing that bugs me about the Warlord models. The effect is noted in your photos above. The gaff and boom jaws are too thick and the spanker is incorrectly sized to fit on the mizzen properly. Thus you see all the Black Seas ships with a giant gap between mast and sail where there should not be one. Normally the spanker or driver would be attached to the mast with hoops, or on a snow rig to a separate spar (see Niagara. No reflection on your great work just the way Warlord modelled the rig.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Looks superb Vol.
    i had not even noticed the Spanker until Eric mentioned it. I was just overawed by the overall magnificence of the picture.
    Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by DeRuyter View Post
    Wow amazing work Vol!!

Have you given a thought to modifying the set of the spanker?

It is one thing that bugs me about the Warlord models. The effect is noted in your photos above. The gaff and boom jaws are too thick and the spanker is incorrectly sized to fit on the mizzen properly. Thus you see all the Black Seas ships with a giant gap between mast and sail where there should not be one. Normally the spanker or driver would be attached to the mast with hoops, or on a snow rig to a separate spar (see Niagara. No reflection on your great work just the way Warlord modelled the rig.
    Thanks Eric. I agree, the things I like least about the Black Seas ships are the masts and sails. The hulls are nicely detailed. I may just scratch build masts and sails on future BS models. That may be a while though. I just took a commission fom Gunner to kit bash four SOG ships for him. I'm working on the Ville de Varsovie now. You know, three out of the four ships he sent me have the spanker/driver sail blowing in the opposite direction as the jib and fore stay sails are billowing. What a wierd mistake for Ares to make! Am I the only one to notice this?
    Name:  20200525_113809.jpg
Views: 576
Size:  126.5 KB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

It has been mentioned with some vehemence when the ships were released Vol.
    I am still taking the dried frog pills for it. All bar one of the ships I bought have been rectified, but I ran out of spare Mizzen masts.
    Rob.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Quote Originally Posted by Volunteer View Post
    Thanks Eric. I agree, the things I like least about the Black Seas ships are the masts and sails. The hulls are nicely detailed. I may just scratch build masts and sails on future BS models. That may be a while though. I just took a commission fom Gunner to kit bash four SOG ships for him. I'm working on the Ville de Varsovie now. You know, three out of the four ships he sent me have the spanker/driver sail blowing in the opposite direction as the jib and fore stay sails are billowing. What a wierd mistake for Ares to make! Am I the only one to notice this?
    Name:  20200525_113809.jpg
Views: 576
Size:  126.5 KB
    In addition to that, Vol, is the use of lateen spankers on late 18th century ships. They should be gaff spankers and the lanterns go on the Indiamen.

The same mizzen issue happened with the Portlands and Artesiens.

Quote Originally Posted by Dobbs View Post
    In addition to that, Vol, is the use of lateen spankers on late 18th century ships. They should be gaff spankers and the lanterns go on the Indiamen.

The same mizzen issue happened with the Portlands and Artesiens.
    Sorry Dobbs, I didn't see this until just now. Yes I figured this out last night. But Gunner wants me to leave it and scratch the stay sails.....