Thread: *What's on your workbench for May?

Hybrid View

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Hi Vol.
    Thanks for this expose on the Warlord models. You have done a splendid job on those ratlines.
    I can see what you mean about the stern. About the only thing they got right are the number of windows.
    A shame because as you have shown it paints up vert well. Also having the name in what I take is raised letters although a feature makes it difficult to use as a generic model unless you are very adroit with a file or Dremel.
    Do all the models have the names added like the Chesapeake?

Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    Hi Vol.
    Thanks for this expose on the Warlord models. You have done a splendid job on those ratlines.
    I can see what you mean about the stern. About the only thing they got right are the number of windows.
    A shame because as you have shown it paints up vert well. Also having the name in what I take is raised letters although a feature makes it difficult to use as a generic model unless you are very adroit with a file or Dremel.
    Do all the models have the names added like the Chesapeake?

Rob.
    I was able to squeeze in one set of ratlines mounted on the upper mast before bed last night and another started on the "loom".
    Name:  20200507_071630.jpg
Views: 826
Size:  134.1 KB

The sprues come with three different generic sterns and three different figurehead stems
    Name:  20200507_071834.jpg
Views: 852
Size:  131.3 KB

Since this is supposed to be the US Fleet, there is also a bag with three named metal sterns and four specific metal stems: Chesapeake, Constellation and Congress. They got the figurehead for Chesapeake right, a winged angel with left arm draped over exposed left breast. I haven't researched the other two ships enough yet to know if they are accurate or not. I am at a loss why there are four stems for three ships.
    Name:  20200507_072324.jpg
Views: 828
Size:  91.6 KB

Here are a couple of pics showing what I was talking about with the spars cast flush with the masts rather than in front of the mast
    Name:  20200507_071915.jpg
Views: 954
Size:  95.6 KB
    Name:  20200507_071933.jpg
Views: 838
Size:  99.9 KB

And the paper backed acetate ratlines
    Name:  20200507_072216.jpg
Views: 811
Size:  136.1 KB
    Name:  20200507_072242.jpg
Views: 787
Size:  135.6 KB

These are the two resin 44 gun frigates in the pack: the United States and the President. I have the Humphrey plans for both of these so we'll see how accurate they are when I get around to them. As I recall all of the Humphrey frigates were single flush gundecks yet one of these isn't.
    Name:  20200507_072503.jpg
Views: 920
Size:  141.9 KB

So overall I am enjoying the challenges to make a decent looking model with this first ship. As I go through it, ideas for modifying the next one come to mind and I should write them down because I'm old and might forget! And there are all of these extra stems and sterns ........
    Last edited by Volunteer; 05-07-2020 at 09:14.