Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: *What's on your workbench for May?

Rob, that castle is worthy of praise. It is looking very very good and you have successfully integrated the buildings into the terrain, which is not easy. I really like the new buildings that BrigadeModels has released.

Vol, another great job. I especially like the filling effect of the sails and the detail of the pulleys on the rigging.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Redcoat View Post
    Rob, I really like the new buildings that BrigadeModels has released.
    There is a lot of mileage in those new buildings if you know how to cut and shunt. I have had to relearn quite a lot about how slops meet at complex angles though. Takes me right back to my tin bashing days.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

A bit of work on the Town today.
    Positioning jetty and harbour wall.

Rob.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I have also started having a look at the layout for the harbour and glued up the walls on the dockside.
    Last edited by Bligh; 05-27-2020 at 01:41.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Having next glued my harbour jetty to its plasticard base for strength, I am going to fill the cracks and spray it with primer.
    Then I will start work on forming the town contours in the blue foam onto which I have been sketching some of the profiles.
    Rob.
    Last edited by Bligh; 05-28-2020 at 00:53.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Slight change of plan owing to my undercoat paint arriving.
    Last edited by Bligh; 05-28-2020 at 01:05.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Harbour wall now glued in place on its base, and a start made on the harbour town contour sketching and machining on the foam.
    Rob.
    Last edited by Bligh; 05-28-2020 at 10:21.

Quote Originally Posted by Volunteer View Post
    I finished the brig tonight

Attachment 49478
    Attachment 49479
    Heading into the Mediterranean
    Wow amazing work Vol!!

Have you given a thought to modifying the set of the spanker?

It is one thing that bugs me about the Warlord models. The effect is noted in your photos above. The gaff and boom jaws are too thick and the spanker is incorrectly sized to fit on the mizzen properly. Thus you see all the Black Seas ships with a giant gap between mast and sail where there should not be one. Normally the spanker or driver would be attached to the mast with hoops, or on a snow rig to a separate spar (see Niagara. No reflection on your great work just the way Warlord modelled the rig.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Looks superb Vol.
    i had not even noticed the Spanker until Eric mentioned it. I was just overawed by the overall magnificence of the picture.
    Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by DeRuyter View Post
    Wow amazing work Vol!!

Have you given a thought to modifying the set of the spanker?

It is one thing that bugs me about the Warlord models. The effect is noted in your photos above. The gaff and boom jaws are too thick and the spanker is incorrectly sized to fit on the mizzen properly. Thus you see all the Black Seas ships with a giant gap between mast and sail where there should not be one. Normally the spanker or driver would be attached to the mast with hoops, or on a snow rig to a separate spar (see Niagara. No reflection on your great work just the way Warlord modelled the rig.
    Thanks Eric. I agree, the things I like least about the Black Seas ships are the masts and sails. The hulls are nicely detailed. I may just scratch build masts and sails on future BS models. That may be a while though. I just took a commission fom Gunner to kit bash four SOG ships for him. I'm working on the Ville de Varsovie now. You know, three out of the four ships he sent me have the spanker/driver sail blowing in the opposite direction as the jib and fore stay sails are billowing. What a wierd mistake for Ares to make! Am I the only one to notice this?
    Name:  20200525_113809.jpg
Views: 476
Size:  126.5 KB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

It has been mentioned with some vehemence when the ships were released Vol.
    I am still taking the dried frog pills for it. All bar one of the ships I bought have been rectified, but I ran out of spare Mizzen masts.
    Rob.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Quote Originally Posted by Volunteer View Post
    Thanks Eric. I agree, the things I like least about the Black Seas ships are the masts and sails. The hulls are nicely detailed. I may just scratch build masts and sails on future BS models. That may be a while though. I just took a commission fom Gunner to kit bash four SOG ships for him. I'm working on the Ville de Varsovie now. You know, three out of the four ships he sent me have the spanker/driver sail blowing in the opposite direction as the jib and fore stay sails are billowing. What a wierd mistake for Ares to make! Am I the only one to notice this?
    Name:  20200525_113809.jpg
Views: 476
Size:  126.5 KB
    In addition to that, Vol, is the use of lateen spankers on late 18th century ships. They should be gaff spankers and the lanterns go on the Indiamen.

The same mizzen issue happened with the Portlands and Artesiens.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

I make new headsails out of the styrene sheet or salvaged from models I cut up.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I was using my lateens by swapping them with the Indiamen as you suggested Dobbs until I ran out of Indiamen to do the swapsies with. However, I got another Indiaman not long ago so may be able to rectify another Ares gaff. No pun intended!
    Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Today I have glued up the layers of foam where extra height is needed.
    Tomorrow I can start my landscaping.
    Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Progress to date with terraforming. I will try to get it completed today.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Terra forming completed. Next a good coat of watered down PVA to firm up and seal the surface.
    Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

PVA overnight. Should be ready for primer coat this morning.
    Rob.

Midshipman
    Spain

Log Entries
    Name
    Ferrante

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    Rob.
    You have a great habilita for the terrain Rob . I like how it seems with different textures and the low area .
    This is Getting better each day . Soon you will have it ready .

Midshipman
    Spain

Log Entries
    Name
    Ferrante

I have received my order and painting some houses

Name:  7019DFDC-CFA5-4655-9797-60971B6492BA.jpg
Views: 487
Size:  178.5 KB

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I love the way you are painting your dwellings Ferrante. I have two sets of the same that I have to get painted. I just wish they did a Sultan's Palace. If the paint is dry on my terrain I will photo it later this evening and post it so you can see how I am getting on.
    Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrante View Post
    I have received my order and painting some houses

Name:  7019DFDC-CFA5-4655-9797-60971B6492BA.jpg
Views: 487
Size:  178.5 KB
    Ooh I like the look of these buildings Ferrante!

Quote Originally Posted by Dobbs View Post
    In addition to that, Vol, is the use of lateen spankers on late 18th century ships. They should be gaff spankers and the lanterns go on the Indiamen.

The same mizzen issue happened with the Portlands and Artesiens.
    Sorry Dobbs, I didn't see this until just now. Yes I figured this out last night. But Gunner wants me to leave it and scratch the stay sails.....

Rob.
    Better hurry Rob! Tommorow it's going to be on your workbench for June!

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Here you go then Vol. All undercoated and ready for me to pop out and get som detailing paint tomorrow.
    Rob.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Here you go then Vol. All undercoated and ready for me to pop out and get som detailing paint tomorrow.
    Rob.
    That is by far and away the most creative modelling landscape I have ever seen, and it's not even done! It looks like something out of "Lord of the Rings"! I will have to hone my skills for years to do something approaching that.

Wow! That looks pretty fantastic just like that! I agree with Dobbs! Dang!

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Dobbs View Post
    I will have to hone my skills for years to do something approaching that.
    I did Dobbs, I did.
    I must also say that I owe a lot to Julien for providing me with not only some of the terrain models for my earlier work, but also the inspiration from his incredible craftsmanship and design.

Thanks for your comments, that is also inspiring.
    Rob.