Thread: *What's on your workbench for May?

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
    Vol your ship does look amazing and I like the fact its it's not on a base so that when you photographed it with the backdrop in place it looks so realistic.
    A small work of art, I showed it to my wife and she said "where was the photo taken, Gibraltar" and then I explained it was a model with a photo behind, it's that good.

Rob I missed the start of your port, looking forward to seeing how you progress with it.

Ferrante that's a clever idea to show the battle damage on the tower, it does look good.
    Wow thanks John! That must be the nicest compliment I have ever heard.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Morning John.
    You can catch the start of my port if you look at posts 27 and 33. Today I hope to refine some of my ideas by juxtaposing the new wall and tower sections with those I already had in stock, and then once that is settled send in another subsidiary order for any other items I think I need to enhance the main idea.
    Rob.
    Last edited by Bligh; 05-20-2020 at 13:37.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    Morning Vol.
    You can catch the start of my port if you look at posts 27 and 33. Today I hope to refine some of my ideas by juxtaposing the new wall and tower sections with those I already had in stock, and then once that is settled send in another subsidiary order for any other items I think I need to enhance the main idea.
    Rob.
    I think that was Vagabond asking Rob

I do have a quick question though. Do you refer back to the initial layout photos for placement after you have built up the hill top terrain? I know in the past I have had to change positions due to the way the terrain turned out. I never used photos. I think I will going forward.
    Last edited by Volunteer; 05-20-2020 at 10:18.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Hi Vol.
    Firstly thanks for spotting my mistake.
    In answer to your question, if it is an historic fort like the ones I did for Basque Roads I try to be as accurate as the information I can glean allows. Modern photos often have a variety of modifications down the years and I try to define the most likely layout from my knowledge of the period and then tailor the bits of wall and bastions etc to fit. This often incurs a lot of cut and shunt, even in some cases totally new fabrications made from scratch. If copies of maps around the period are available this helps a lot. With The Isle De Rey I had a scaled down map of the whole Island and forts.
    However, in this current case I simply picked a fort of which I liked the style, and converted it into a generic North African town and port which could look like just about anywhere. So, just like yourself, in the main it will be a case of best fit serves. As far as I can see so far, I only have two scratch built bits to do. The wall and stairs which will climb the cliff to the Citadel, and the flight of steps from it down to the town gate. As you will see tomorrow I have already modified that picture I posted earlier today.

Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.