Thread: Hello from Scotland, the home of Cochrane!

Landsman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Fred

Default Hello from Scotland, the home of Cochrane!

Hello All

I am pleased to join this community after reading some of the interesting and helpful material here and after watching both Master & Commander and Captain Horatio Hornblower in the past few evenings.

I am a long time player of Age of Sail wargames but no expert. I started out gaming with balsa wood ship shapes and home brewed rules when I was a boy having read Hornblower and Alexander Kent and then moved on to using the Kinder egg ships and some simple scratch builds! I have since discovered the brilliance of Patrick O'Brian as well as enjoying Dudley Pope and Richard Woodman's books and now own small squadrons of 1/2400 metal ships as well as the starter set for SOG and some extra ships I recently added.

I have played a few games with the SOG starter set and particularly enjoyed the rules and the look of the table (although I must confess to being a little reticent about the thickness of the bases). As well as SOG I play Kiss Me Hardy! by TooFatLardies and I used to play using a set called "Beat to Quarters!" by Donald Gifford.

I hope to build my collection to the point where I can field a couple of line squadrons of British and 2 or 3 squadrons of French & Spanish as well as a frigate squadron for each. This would let me play many different scenarios using SOG and it is my intention to use them with Kiss Me Hardy as well. I am tempted by the Black Seas ships from Warlord but am not at all excited about rigging such ships and am not wild about painting them either!

I look forward to benefiting from the wisdom and inspiration that this site provides.

Fred Worthingham

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Hi Fred.
    I can now welcome you to the Anchorage on behalf of your shipmates and myself formally.
    I hope that you enjoy what you discover here and that I will see you in the wardroom for a virtual noggin or three and a chinwag.
    May you always sail with a fair wind and a willing foe.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Stats Committee
    2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bill

Hello Fred from the beautiful Hudson River Valley! I spent this past year's Christmas season in Glasgow visiting with my daughter who is a graduate student at the Royal Conservatoire of Scotland. It was my first time in Scotland (although my maternal grandmother was Scots -- Clan Kerr) and I loved Scotland and the Scots people. Enjoy SoG and all the very knowledgeable people on the site.

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Welcome to the Anchorage, Fred, from here near Norwich. With your background, you will easily fit in here. If you have any questions about the game, please feel free to ask them. You will find that the members here are very friendly and helpful.

Bonjour Fred.

Welcome on board.

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Welcome Fred, from me in a rather sunny Bristol

Able Seaman
    France

Log Entries
    Name
    Roméo

Greetings, mate, and welcome to you from a French fellow !

Quote Originally Posted by FredWorthingham View Post
    I am tempted by the Black Seas ships from Warlord but am not at all excited about rigging such ships and am not wild about painting them either!
    Very good idea, I can nothing but encourage you to do so ! I'm painting them too and would be delighted to deeper see how you get through that undertaking.
    "Les passions sont les vents qui enflent les voiles du navire ; elles le submergent quelquefois, mais sans elles il ne pourrait voguer."
    "Passions are the winds that fill the sails of a ship ; they sometimes overwhelm her, but she could not sail without them."- Voltaire