Thread: Barbary Coast Port

Midshipman
    Spain

Log Entries
    Name
    Ferrante

Default Barbary Coast Port

During the XVIII and XIX centuries all the nations , USA , UK, France , Italy, Malta , Spain had a common enemy . The Barbary pirates .
    I has been busy these days doing a little harbor to represent one pirate harbor section . I has been inspired by Alger one , using the material that I have at this moment .

I am happy with the results , and some nice scenario ideas :

Name:  FA0B2A2C-727E-469A-824B-840B1F4E5837.jpg
Views: 392
Size:  291.5 KB

Name:  91E3F990-4C4F-49D4-9CAC-9405AD217E0D.jpg
Views: 382
Size:  225.3 KB

Name:  C6BC1EB0-0EC5-454B-B8C3-181A7A9991F0.jpg
Views: 423
Size:  230.4 KB

Name:  0AF44468-5558-40AC-A6E2-CF8D1F1ABB96.jpg
Views: 381
Size:  282.5 KB

Name:  8EF18D06-3786-4C63-BE07-9D72472796DB.jpg
Views: 394
Size:  175.8 KB

I hope you like it

Regards

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Good work sir, and something where we who are not Americans can use our few US mods as well as Spanish to give the Algerine pitates a good hiding for a change. I feel another order to Langton's coming on thanks to you.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Able Seaman
    France

Log Entries
    Name
    Roméo

I really like your scenery ! Thanks for sharing.

By the way, the Barbary coasts and Mediterranean sea are a a very interesting theatre of naval operations (also for the pleasure to add local architectures). And unless I am mistaken, I think I heard that American ships used to be very present in that area to protect their merchant ships so I guess there are plenty of playable scenari for that faction too.

PS : the mat colour is awesome too !
    "Les passions sont les vents qui enflent les voiles du navire ; elles le submergent quelquefois, mais sans elles il ne pourrait voguer."
    "Passions are the winds that fill the sails of a ship ; they sometimes overwhelm her, but she could not sail without them."- Voltaire

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

No excuse for me really. I already have the coastline.

The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Able Seaman
    France

Log Entries
    Name
    Roméo

With the ships far-off and the small islands, this just looks great too !!!!!
    "Les passions sont les vents qui enflent les voiles du navire ; elles le submergent quelquefois, mais sans elles il ne pourrait voguer."
    "Passions are the winds that fill the sails of a ship ; they sometimes overwhelm her, but she could not sail without them."- Voltaire

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

This was made for Sven's game The Battle of the Nile at Doncaster, but I have since added some more coastline to it.
    Rob.

Midshipman
    Spain

Log Entries
    Name
    Ferrante

Thank you for your responses Romeo and Rob . Yes Romeo very interesting building theme. I has been reading about the USA barbary war against the pirates in this area. Lot of Berberisc pirates opering in the area.

Rob, you have the scenario done. I like your Nile´s Battle coastline. Perfect for barbary coastal scenarios.

This is the image from Algiers that inspired me. Now i have to work on the city walls...
    This is from the Spaniard bombardment in 1784
    Name:  Vista_de_la_plaza_de_Argel_Material_cartográfico__1.jpg
Views: 365
Size:  196.4 KB

And some naval flags for the ottomans

Name:  FLAGS OTTOMAN.jpg
Views: 848
Size:  152.5 KB
    Last edited by Ferrante; 05-08-2020 at 12:51.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Certainly gives the flavour of an island fortress guarding a town.I think I could very easily modify what I have already got to simulate that sort of scene without making it too much like a set piece. more a generic sort of port for the Sublime Porte.

Rob.

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Well done, Ferrante! That fort looks very good.

Midshipman
    Spain

Log Entries
    Name
    Ferrante

Thank you David . Now I am planning a scenario . I have read about some Turquish actions .

Rob I want to see your modified Nile to Barbary coast . I am sure it will be a high quality built

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Just been looking for examples of the lie of the land re fortifications, and it looks like a lot were a mixture of Crusader Castles, Medieval Spanish towers and then Vauban odds and ends added on with some typical Eastern buildings and Mosques mixed in, sometimes even into the walls. Towers range fro square through Hex to the Round late medieval or even what I would term Henrician forts with the low round towers.
    What have you found in your research.
    I quite fancy this one.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Found this one this morning.

Looks a bit too well defended for my needs, but gives an idea of size of town in those days and the wall configurations plus the island forts. So plenty of scope for various constructions.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Midshipman
    Spain

Log Entries
    Name
    Ferrante

This is great , Tunes was another of the big Barbary pirates area .

I have this actual pics from forts used in that era in North Africa

Name:  179ADF28-7C1F-4FAD-8DD1-B7158CE470E5.jpeg
Views: 324
Size:  38.3 KB

Name:  DA510281-7D87-40F9-80C5-8FD54525AA86.jpeg
Views: 318
Size:  52.2 KB

Name:  2EB1EAFE-5FAE-41E1-BB38-40DF46CC22D8.jpg
Views: 316
Size:  139.5 KB

Name:  F5B05F27-6E24-4B7C-9D2D-C0F63CCBA833.jpg
Views: 330
Size:  155.2 KB

Name:  2172A957-ADE3-4C32-B8C3-9326D173A8B0.jpeg
Views: 310
Size:  63.6 KB
    Last edited by Ferrante; 05-06-2020 at 05:51. Reason: Images

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

That's just the ticket Ferrante and confirms what I thought was the case.
    Proving that they had Vauban type Bastians grafted onto older walls has just saved me a few £ notes.
    Thanks for your timely intervention.
    Rob.

Able Seaman
    France

Log Entries
    Name
    Roméo

I would like to share some additional maps of Alger from different periods that may be helpful. It's also interesting to note the evolution through the ages of the military facilities like the several historical forts and the Vauban inspiration walls surrounding the city. (I've found them on the legal website of the National Library of France where you can, by the way, find a lot of material : https://gallica.bnf.fr/. If you want some help with your research and the problem of the French language, ask me whenever you want ).

This first plan's date edition is 1700.

This second one from 1740-1749.

The last two plans date back to the end of the age of sail (1830 and 1847).

Wow these are a great find Roméo.

Ferrante, do you mind if I copy and use your flags?

Midshipman
    Spain

Log Entries
    Name
    Ferrante

Thank you a lot Romeo for the info. This is very helpful. We are making a great post. Now with the french documents, great !!
    Your country had a lot of work too with algerian pirates. And it was the first city for the french era in Algeria.
    I will use the link you posted, lot of interesting info.

I have found some other maps from Alger :

Name:  detalle-1.jpg
Views: 301
Size:  109.4 KB

Name:  Diario_de_la_expedición_de_Argel_Manuscrito_con_algunas_reflexiones_que_contiene_el_plano_de_su_.jpg
Views: 294
Size:  90.7 KB

Name:  La_cite_le_port_et_le_mole_d_Alger.jpg
Views: 285
Size:  281.6 KB

Name:  Plano_de_la_Bahia_fuertes_y_Ciudad_de_Argel_situada_la_Linterna_en_Latitud_N_de_36º_48_1_2_y_en_.jpg
Views: 306
Size:  151.9 KB

Name:  PLANO_~4.jpg
Views: 294
Size:  176.3 KB

Midshipman
    Spain

Log Entries
    Name
    Ferrante

Quote Originally Posted by Volunteer View Post
    Wow these are a great find Roméo.

Ferrante, do you mind if I copy and use your flags?

Vol you can use all the flags you want . These flags are for you and for the forum. Let us see how they look at your ships masts
    I like the Venetian flag, that appears with the lion.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I agree, most useful additions to our research.
    I never feel fully confident in embarking upon a new model until I have a map as near to the date of my game requirements as possible.
    Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrante View Post
    Vol you can use all the flags you want . These flags are for you and for the forum. Let us see how they look at your ships masts
    I like the Venetian flag, that appears with the lion.
    Thank you sir! Much appreciated. I also have a lot of flags, so if you ever need a specific ensign please let me know and I will see if I have it for you. That goes for everyone here on the Anchorage.