Thread: HMS Swan versus USS Thorn (Reindeer versus Wasp)

Default HMS Swan versus USS Thorn (Reindeer versus Wasp)

The inspiration for this scenario is the battle between two sloops, the HMS Reindeer and the USS Wasp, during the War of 1812. I've used the Swan and Thorn as suitable substitutes and set it during the American War of Independence / Revolution.

Setting: The Thorn has been sent out to prey on British merchant ships. To put a stop to this, the Royal Navy has sent Commander Rob Bligh, captain of the HMS Swan to capture or sink the Thorn. Finally the Swan sights the Thorn. The Swan has the wind advantage and closes to engage.

Note: I've used Dobb's suggestion of ignoring 'hull' hits of 1 or 2. As the burden of each ship is '1' that means each hit of 3 or more will eliminate 1 burden box. Finally, I've done the story through dialogue balloons. I know this isn't everyone's cuppa tea - apologies if it's not. The sloops are quite manoeuvrable so there's a lot of zipping back and forth across the bow or stern of the other ship. I hope you can follow the action without intervening text between the photos.

Dobbs' AI was used for the Thorn and I played the Swan. His AI solo rules are here:

https://www.sailsofglory.org/showthr...olo-Mechanism/

Name:  SvT00.jpg
Views: 175
Size:  124.9 KB

Name:  SvT01.jpg
Views: 168
Size:  140.1 KB

Name:  SvT02.jpg
Views: 171
Size:  159.3 KB

Name:  SvT03.jpg
Views: 176
Size:  156.8 KB

Name:  SvT04.jpg
Views: 166
Size:  182.7 KB

Name:  SvT05.jpg
Views: 157
Size:  147.8 KB

Name:  SvT06.jpg
Views: 172
Size:  166.2 KB

Name:  SvT07.jpg
Views: 175
Size:  168.6 KB

Name:  SvT08.jpg
Views: 167
Size:  159.8 KB

Name:  SvT09.jpg
Views: 174
Size:  208.1 KB

Name:  SvT10.jpg
Views: 160
Size:  221.3 KB

Name:  SvT11.jpg
Views: 161
Size:  191.4 KB

Name:  SvT12.jpg
Size:  171.5 KB

Name:  SvT13.jpg
Views: 170
Size:  165.3 KB

Name:  SvT14.jpg
Views: 167
Size:  182.3 KB

Name:  SvT15.jpg
Views: 166
Size:  220.1 KB

Name:  SvT16.jpg
Views: 155
Size:  156.5 KB

Name:  SvT17.jpg
Views: 155
Size:  149.2 KB

Name:  SvT18.jpg
Views: 154
Size:  143.3 KB

Name:  SvT19.jpg
Views: 153
Size:  148.9 KB

Name:  SvT20.jpg
Views: 156
Size:  184.8 KB

Name:  SvT21.jpg
Views: 152
Size:  163.0 KB

Name:  SvT22.jpg
Size:  177.0 KB

Name:  SvT23.jpg
Views: 159
Size:  137.9 KB

Name:  SvTResults.jpg
Views: 154
Size:  159.2 KB

It turns out that Commander Bligh's wound wasn't mortal, but because it was severe the RN decided that it would dispense with the court-martial for the loss of one of His Majesty's ships.

Final note: If I did this again I would only ignore burden hits of '1' as I found the fight quite long ignoring both '1' and '2' burden hits.
    Last edited by ShadowDragon; 04-27-2020 at 17:56.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Well Paul.
    A stirring action in no mistake.
    I actually like your swashbuckling approach to the dialogue.
    An interesting fact is that if you had taken into account the lower scores it would have shortened an admirable game to it's detriment, and would probably have also given a different result, so bravo sir in all respects.

A totally different Bligh, honest!

Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    Well Paul.
    A stirring action in no mistake.
    I actually like your swashbuckling approach to the dialogue.
    An interesting fact is that if you had taken into account the lower scores it would have shortened an admirable game to it's detriment, and would probably have also given a different result, so bravo sir in all respects.

A totally different Bligh, honest!

Rob.
    Perhaps, Rob, perhaps. I did cut down the number of photos (one per move) by 1/4. My back was bothering me when I played the game which may have influenced how I felt about the length.

A distant relative I'm sure, Rob....very distant.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

You can't get much more distant than I am these days Paul.
    They tell me it comes with my age!
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

That was fabulous! I didn't cut to the end, so the finale was just like a movie!

How did you feel about my AI navigational choices? It looked good from here!

The funny thing is, I was planning to post a ship-sloop vs. a brig fight to do a step-by-step of my system in the next day or two!

Quote Originally Posted by Dobbs View Post
    That was fabulous! I didn't cut to the end, so the finale was just like a movie!

How did you feel about my AI navigational choices? It looked good from here!

The funny thing is, I was planning to post a ship-sloop vs. a brig fight to do a step-by-step of my system in the next day or two!
    I just remembered that I played the Swan...so, er...yeah, ahem... the AI was great. All the choices seemed to make sense with enough uncertainty to wrong foot me a couple of times. Close game. It came right down to the last shot - just one burden box left on both ships. I was glad it was decided by crew losses - just like the real Reindeer vs Wasp.

I was only up to playing the standard rules with this game. This would have been interesting if I had been using the boarding rules but I’m slowly getting there. The next outing will be with the advanced rules.

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Thank you for the good A.A.R., Paul.

Quote Originally Posted by Naharaht View Post
    Thank you for the good A.A.R., Paul.

Midshipman
    Spain

Log Entries
    Name
    Ferrante

I love this little action battles.
    Than you for sharing.

Nice historical approach . I hadnīt heard about that battle until i joined this forum .

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrante View Post
    I love this little action battles.
    Than you for sharing.

Nice historical approach . I hadnīt heard about that battle until i joined this forum .
    Glad you liked it, Ferrante. The only reason I know about the battle is that it's one of the scenarios in the old Avalon Hill board game, Wooden Ships and Iron Men. Sad that just four months after the battle with the Reindeer, the USS Wasp was last seen on 9 October, 1814 and never seen again. Likely she and her gallant crew foundered in a storm.

Here's the scenario introduction for the Wasp versus Reindeer in Wooden Ships & Iron Men:

"Master Commandant Johnston Blakely of Wasp and Commander William Manners of Reindeer had under them two of the finest crews in their respective navies."

Some online articles:

http://www.historyofwar.org/articles..._reindeer.html

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sinking_of_HMS_Reindeer

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_Wasp_(1814)

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Thanks for that extra background info Paul.
    It all helps to set the scene.
    Rob.

Midshipman
    Spain

Log Entries
    Name
    Ferrante

Thank you for the info , nice links to learn more about that times .
    Really nice histories there .
    I have seen the rules for Wooden ships and Iron Men , looks nice .