Thread: Time to fight the USS Constitution vs HMS Guerriere.

Landsman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Matt

Default Time to fight the USS Constitution vs HMS Guerriere.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	153.0 KB 
ID:	48986
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails C03D48FE-B388-4D78-A625-BC63F9B55F8C.jpg  

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

When you fight the battle, please take some photographs and write an After Action Report, so that we all may share your experience, Matt.

Midshipman
    Australia

Log Entries
    Name
    Gary

Nice Picture.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Yes! I really like the clarity of that picture.
    As Admiral Naharaht says, we at the Admiralty Board would love to read your log of the action when you submit it.

Bligh.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Landsman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Matt

Sadly, I did not get many pictures of the combat. The one below is the only one I took. I got too wrapped up in the combat to take anymore. The shot below shows the opening broadside of the Constitution raking the bow of the Guerriere.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	B68BFBC4-138F-42AC-9666-D8594D6D4F5C.jpeg 
Views:	18 
Size:	135.9 KB 
ID:	49008

After this there was a lot of sailing around trying to get close. A few left turns when I meant to go right, (I do the same when I play WOG). I definitely need to work on my sailing skills.

Finally the 2 ships came along side of each other and in leashed broadsides the Constitution drew 4 “0” chits while the Guerriere drew a fire and a leak. After 1 maybe 2 more broadsides the Guerriere had to strike her colors.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 45EA3658-9413-434F-B518-DBB0987A3277.jpg  

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Pretty true to the actuality of the action then Matt.
    If it is any consolation I too often forget a key photograph in the ebb and flow of battle. I even had to do a reset of one shot after the battle with Captain Kiwi, when we decided that neither of us had taken a picture of the turning point in the engagement. Fortunately using photos from either side of that moment we were able to reconstruct it.
    Also my fabled Senior moment is renowned from our battle of the Nile a few years ago at Doncaster. I was so busy arranging the fire photo on the Orient that I rushed my next move and instead of moving into my well planned position cutting the French line with a first fire bow and stern rake to two French ships I turned away and got it up the derriere from both of them instead.
    The scurrilous rumour that I had imbibed too much of the Port at the Captain's briefing before the battle was a gross exaggeration! Those glasses in the picture belonged to Captain Duff and someone else.

Rob.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_5628.jpg  
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Stats Committee
    2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bill

I also fought the Constitution against the Guerriere -- but I can't find the AAR on the site to link you to it -- there is an album of the photos from it on my page on this site -- the album is dated 4/22/2018. Similar results to history for me as well.
    On a completely unrelated note -- thanks Rob for those pictures of you as a "man of action" -- move over Captain Blood!

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Is this the game you meant Bill, from 2008 mission discussions?

Rob.

As per the scenario, there were no special abilities used in the game. I used the HMS Sybille to represent the HMS Guerriere as Jim did in his game (and as was endorsed by David Manley). So here goes my AAR:
    Starting positions of the ships -- the wind is from the North (right edge of board), the Constitution enters from the Northeast, the Guerriere from the Northwest.

The ships see each other, reduce to battle sail running before the wind, and begin to close for action.

In turn 4, the Guerriere unloads a full starboard broadside at the Constitution (A range), Constitution replies with forward port guns. The initial long range exchange is devastating: Guerriere takes 11 damage points including 2 crew, plus mast damage, while Constitution takes 5 damage points including 3 crew and a fire started.

Turns 5 and 6 sees the Guerriere's movement become erratic due to the mast damage (which they work to repair) and the Constitution's crew rapidly move to extinguish the fire. The loss of the mast allows the Constitution to swing into a stern raking shot on Guerriere, who replies with port aft guns. Guerriere takes 11 damage points including 2 crew and a 2nd mast damage (which essentially seals her fate) while the Constitution takes 5 damage points including a hull leak.

Turns 7 and 8 see the Guerriere struggle with control of ship after 2nd mast damage, allowing the Constitution to play off her firing a stern raking shot at B range that inflicts 12 damage points including 1 crew and a hull leak. With all her hull boxes filled, HMS Guerriere strikes her colors and surrenders.

The Butcher's Bill:

Constitution : 8 damage points (representing 2 hull boxes), 3 crew, a fire (extinguished), and a hull leak (repaired).

Guerriere : 32 damage points (8 hull boxes), 2 mast damages (1 repaired), 1 hull leak, 4 crew damage points. Colours struck and surrendered.

Stats Committee
    2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bill

YES !!! Thank you Rob !! I just couldn't find it....you see it always pays off to appeal to the experts.....

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I'll have to try that then Bill. I know we have some experts around here somewhere!
    Rob.

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    John

Bill did you sail the Constitution, I assume so but the fight seems very onesided, I wondered if the British ship had ever won.

Stats Committee
    2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bill

Hi John,
    When I play solo games I try to make the very best move I can for both sides -- as if I were playing both ships. Unfortunately the Constitution's overwhelming firepower and two relatively early mast hits disabled the Guerriere so badly that it became a bit of a "sitting duck" for the critical part of the game.
    B.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Even when playing against an AI ship, if it is about to make an uncharacteristic move, I correct it to something more sensible, especially if it has a specific objective, but you still need to weight the odds against your managed ship to give the AI a chance, because it don't often make an inspired move, and with no double shot option either it is at a disadvantage. I wish I could come up with a suitable rule for double shot options but so far I have drawn a blank chit.

Rob.

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    John

I am just about to set up a game and was going to do 2015 Duty and Daring but I bought Constitution for Xmas and shes not been out of the box yet so I haven't seen the stats. It sounded from Matt's game at the top and reading yours that the Constitution had the advantage in the sailing contest and therefore would probably win anyway but I wondered if the sailing advantage had been with the Guerriere would it have swung the other way or would the Constitution still be too strong.

I know the game swings on the chits drawn but as an average result could Guerriere win.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Doubtful John!

My HEIC Indian built Super Frigate Nottingham was based on the Constitution. Even though I used the Con's lower stats, it never lost a battle against an AI even with two 38 Frigates against it.

Rob.

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    John

I was soundly thrashed but lived to run away!