Able Seaman
    France

Log Entries
    Name
    Roméo

Red face Parlay ?

Hello everybody !

I'm Roméo from France, living in Paris.

Despite the fact that I don't play SoG, I would like to humbly be part of this community because, that won't be a surprise, I'm very fond of historical ships scenery modelling and I've noticed that these walls literally contain a great pirate treasure ! When I was younger, I used to play / paint Warhammer - Lord of the Rings but life sadly took me away from that great hobby. I decided some months ago to take scale modelling up again. In addition to painting ships, I'm really interested in making my own scenery to improve realism of the game mat.

I'd be delighted to learn a lot within this honorable assembly of ladies and gentlemen.

PS : Hope you won't mind my "French" English level.
    Last edited by Dubourdieu; 04-17-2020 at 05:11.
    "Les passions sont les vents qui enflent les voiles du navire ; elles le submergent quelquefois, mais sans elles il ne pourrait voguer."
    "Passions are the winds that fill the sails of a ship ; they sometimes overwhelm her, but she could not sail without them."- Voltaire

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Hi Romeo.
    I can now give you an official welcome on behalf of your shipmates here at the Anchorage. You should find plenty of good company in your Mess and lots to do whilst the Plague flags are hoisted. (see my reply to your PM)
    May you sail with a fair wind and a willing foe.
    Rob.
    Last edited by Bligh; 04-17-2020 at 12:12.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Welcome to The Anchorage, Romeo, from here near Norwich in the United Kingdom. We have several members, who are good at modeling scenery. If you look in The Chippy Shop, you will see some of their efforts.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

You can also find a lot of that information collected here Romeo:-

https://sailsofglory.org/content.php?6-kit-building

Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Able Seaman
    France

Log Entries
    Name
    Roméo

Thank you both ! I will start reading all that material 'cause there is plenty to discover. The current situation with Covid makes the restocking of hobby stuff harder but that is also the right time to read a lot. I've noticed by the way that the forum also offers a lot of books reviews. I've got some of them in my possession but I clearly must extend my library about that field.
    "Les passions sont les vents qui enflent les voiles du navire ; elles le submergent quelquefois, mais sans elles il ne pourrait voguer."
    "Passions are the winds that fill the sails of a ship ; they sometimes overwhelm her, but she could not sail without them."- Voltaire

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I have a lot more books than we have reviewed Romeo.
    If you let us know what specifics in which you are interested, we can probably help you out.
    For simple starters, you can't go far wrong with the Osprey books, and as you probably know from your modelling, they don't cost you an arm and a leg unlike some of the more esoteric publications.
    Rob.

Able Seaman
    France

Log Entries
    Name
    Roméo

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    I have a lot more books than we have reviewed Romeo.
    If you let us know what specifics in which you are interested, we can probably help you out.
    For simple starters, you can't go far wrong with the Osprey books, and as you probably know from your modelling, they don't cost you an arm and a leg unlike some of the more esoteric publications.
    Rob.
    Thank you Rob, I had actually already seen some of their covers but never had the opportunity to open one so that could be indeed a first good trail. Given that I started very recently, I've got a lot of ships to paint from different nations (Second half of XVIIIth century) : England, Spain & France. I only have ten and they aren't as beautifully painted as all of yours to be honest so I need to improve my skills ! This being said, I would like to eventually make my own scenery focusing on the West Indies theatre - gathering historical material about them in order to reproduce similar islands. Besides I'd like to add some other European nations including Portugal (even if they were less present there in those days), Dutch, Denmark-Norway, Sweden. As you can see, I have multiple projects on my mind and will proceed with method and progressively but at least it gives you an idea. The reviews and blog articles shared by the community help me a lot.
    Last edited by Dubourdieu; 04-18-2020 at 10:13.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Good to hear Romeo. As long as the site is proving useful it is doing what we set it up to be.
    Rob.

Midshipman
    Spain

Log Entries
    Name
    Ferrante

Wellcome on Board . Here we are people from different countries
    Hope to see soon your models work

Able Seaman
    France

Log Entries
    Name
    Roméo

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrante View Post
    Wellcome on Board . Here we are people from different countries
    Hope to see soon your models work
    Muchas gracias ! I will be glad to share (what I can share! )

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

A belated welcome to you Romeo, from here in Bristol uk, I hope you find your stay with us useful.

Able Seaman
    France

Log Entries
    Name
    Roméo

Quote Originally Posted by Capn Duff View Post
    A belated welcome to you Romeo, from here in Bristol uk, I hope you find your stay with us useful.
    By all means, Chris. 100% sure. Thanks for your words !

Missed your arrival at the Anchorage.

Bonjour monsieur!

Able Seaman
    France

Log Entries
    Name
    Roméo

Quote Originally Posted by Comte de Brueys View Post
    Missed your arrival at the Anchorage.

Bonjour monsieur!
    Et je vous rends vos salutations, Monsieur, for they are much appreciated.