Thread: Brigade Models 1/1000 Fort System

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Default Brigade Models 1/1000 Fort System

Another offering from The Miniatures Page. Brigade Models is advertising a new modular fort setup in 1/1000, so it's perfect for Sails of Glory. Link is to announcement on TMP, but I'm sure you can also go directly to their home page to see more ordering information.

http://theminiaturespage.com/news/?id=289701801
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    "It's not the towering sails, but the unseen wind that moves a ship."
    –English Proverb

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Well spotted Jim.
    A pity it's this year, as those outerworks were just what I needed for my Basque Roads gane at Doncaster. I had a lot of work scratch building that fort!
    I will certainly be aquiring some of those to canniblize.

Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Midshipman
    Spain

Log Entries
    Name
    Ferrante

Thank you a lot .
    Wow I am looking for this kit , as it gives Lot of options for forts in America and Caribbean Area .

Kind regards

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

The Demi Lunes and Hornwork will be especially useful as Julien does not make them, and I usually have to cut down some other type of works to fabricate them. The only downside which I can see, is that being a regular Pentogram, you will have to fudge the angles if you need an irregular fort with extra Bastions.

Stop Press!
    Having just scanned the page at Brigade, I see that they have covered the problem by offering Bastions with differing angles of entry.

Rob.
    Last edited by Bligh; 04-13-2020 at 00:56.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

It's also on the Wargames Website
    Here's the link from the WW
    https://www.brigademodels.co.uk/Blog/2020/04/11094/

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Just bought a 6 pack, and a few extra Bastions etc with differing angles, spare curtain wall and Ravalins Vol.
    Hopefully enough for my next project.

Rob.

Nice find - of cours the sell it unpainted.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

In the US you can also get Brigade Models via PicoArmor, although they run a bit behind on the release schedule. I've put their homepage link below.

https://www.picoarmor.com/
    "It's not the towering sails, but the unseen wind that moves a ship."
    –English Proverb

I've ordered a bunch from PicoArmor in the past, including the vauban fort. John Gibbon is an outstanding guy to work with!

Midshipman
    Spain

Log Entries
    Name
    Ferrante

I have received mine today .
    Less than 5 days from UK to Spain , very nice service as always .
    I am painting it desert and grey

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Those are good looking forts. They have some other attractive items on their website.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

A lot of my models are a mixture of Julien's, Brigade, and Langtons. They fit in very snugly together, and with the slight variation in scale if positioned carefully, with the smallest toward the back and largest at the front, you get a good imitation of perspective in your photographs.

Rob.
    Last edited by Bligh; 04-22-2020 at 12:35.

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    John

This looks very useful, I've been thinking about scratch building some small fortifications from modelling clay but I'll have a look at Brigades listings first.
    Thanks for the lead.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Thought this may be of some interest to you Bill.

Harbours

With the arrival of the Dry dock and some more buildings plus ships and impedimenta from Langtons the Dockyard module was now ready for construction.

Firstly, I cut out the base from plastic sheet.

Next I sculpted the contours from insulating foam.

Then I completed the basic shaping and glued up the two parts securing them with Duct Tape..

The following morning I unwrapped the glued up base.

and cut out the detail for the top of the hill.

Then glued and cramped it all together.

Once dry overnight I gave it a coat of PVA to seal the surfaces and harden them overall .

Whilst that was drying Iused the time to paint the accessories.

Now that the Glue is dry, I have undercoated the whole piece and then added grass scatter whilst it was still wet. This will later be varnished over.

Cliff faces are also painted lighter.

Next I started to paint the Dock Yard and detailed some more of the base.

With that completed I began to add the town at the top of the hill.

Here is the Dockyard just about finished and ready to go to the shop for a top coat of varnish.

Lastly I introduced the Dockyard into the harbour module .
    Just a bit of refining to make it blend in better at the edges now needed.

Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    A lot of my models are a mixture of Julien's, Brigade, and Langtons. They fit in very snugly together, and with the slifht variation in scale if positioned carefully, with the smallest toward the back and largest at the front, you get a good imitation of perspective in your photographs.

Rob.
    Several years ago I bought some 2mm buildings from Brigade; a small castle, a walled farmstead, an open farm, etc. I found them all very small. Too small for the 2mm troops I also purchased at the same time. They were more suited for 1/2400 than 1/1200. But since then I have purchased several of the forts and a large manor from Brigade and they have all been more in line with the 2mm or 1/1200 scale I wanted.

Speaking of some awesome 3D 2mm construction going on, I just saw this posted on the 20th in Wargames Soldiers and Strategy. Constantinople of all things!
    Name:  IMG_1930-950x713.jpg
Views: 246
Size:  108.2 KB
    The Forum of Theodosius in 2mm
    Name:  IMG_1927-scaled-e1587046684942.jpg
Views: 262
Size:  130.2 KB
    Another view of the Forum
    Name:  IMG_1932-713x950.jpg
Views: 251
Size:  70.0 KB
    The Galata Tower in 2mm. A beauty
    Name:  IMG_1931-scaled-e1587046754515.jpg
Views: 245
Size:  92.0 KB
    The Forum of Constantine
    Pretty awesome! The guy is hoping to "...squeeze a good representation of the city into a 6’ x 8’ table which will include the Golden Horn, part of the Sea of Marmara, and the Bosphorus on three of its sides."
    Last edited by Volunteer; 04-22-2020 at 13:56.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

An imposing edifice indeed Vol.
    Rob.

Surveyor of the Navy
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

This is Mark Backhouse's project? He has done some lovely stuff over the years, I can't wait to see how it turns out