Thread: JJ's Wargames: All at Sea

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Default JJ's Wargames: All at Sea

Just saw this link to a blog on The Miniatures Page. While the ships are not Ares Sails of Glory the photos and supporting documentation are very well done. If you're a fan of the frigates HMS Euryalus, Naiad and Indefatigable you might want to check this out.

https://jjwargames.blogspot.com/2020...-dockyard.html
    "It's not the towering sails, but the unseen wind that moves a ship."
    –English Proverb

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    John

Jim I've read quite a bit of the stuff he has on his blog related to Black Sails and lots of it is pertinent to us.

Good call.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

What a cracking find Jim. Not only superb pictures but also the paintings of Adams and so forth.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    What a cracking find Jim. Not only superb pictures but also the paintings of Adams and so forth.
    Rob.
    Glad you're enjoying it. His presentations remind me very much of your historical and AAR postings here.
    "It's not the towering sails, but the unseen wind that moves a ship."
    –English Proverb

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Very nice of you to say so Jim. I am but an humble scrivener.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

There is certainly a wealth of material on that site, Jim. Thank you for sharing the link.

It is a great blog I also saw it on TMP and was using his rigging tutorial for the Black Sails ships. His ships look great. I am also intrigued about the rules he uses "War at Sail", with a house rule addition from Kiss Me Hardy.

Yes I am a great fan of Jonathan's blog as well as his contributions to forums like the Wargames Website

Midshipman
    Spain

Log Entries
    Name
    Ferrante

Thank you for sharing . I really like that pictures from that era .
    I am planning to use some similar ships for my ships . I will let you when I receive from China .

My favorite British ship is HMS Britannia

Landsman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Nick

Awesome stuff he does, I saw he had a YouTube channel too.

Don’t want to derail this thread. But is there somewhere on this forum where Sails of Glory and Black Seas are reviewed against each other? I saw today a member posting about their dislikes of Warlord’s models for there incorrect detailing/frustrations.

Has anyone played the two games that is able to compare? And also compare the companies that manufacture these games? I read that Warlord Games seem to abandon games quickly where Ares is just slow to manufacture, but has the longevity of support this game.
    Last edited by pm479; 05-09-2020 at 17:27.

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Can they be any worse than Wizards of the Coast, who only had one design team for everything and axed everybody and everything when some pus-sucking pencil-pusher on the top floor got a visit from the Good Idea Fairy that triggered a customer revolt?
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB
    Historical Consultant to Ares, Wings and Sails - Unless otherwise noted, all comments are strictly Personal Opinion ONLY and not to be taken as official Company Policy.

Surveyor of the Navy
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

"I read that Warlord Games seem to abandon games quickly where Ares is just slow to manufacture, but has the longevity of support this game"

Where did you get that idea? Warlord seems to do rather well in supporting their lines with plenty of regular releases.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondback View Post
    Can they be any worse than Wizards of the Coast, who only had one design team for everything and axed everybody and everything when some pus-sucking pencil-pusher on the top floor got a visit from the Good Idea Fairy that triggered a customer revolt?
    Hahaha, no passion there!
    So which one was that? Surely not Axis & Allies.....?

Landsman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Nick

Quote Originally Posted by David Manley View Post
    "I read that Warlord Games seem to abandon games quickly where Ares is just slow to manufacture, but has the longevity of support this game"

Where did you get that idea? Warlord seems to do rather well in supporting their lines with plenty of regular releases.
    A lot of people in this forum seem to have that idea: https://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforu...st/779942.page

I’ve never bought anything from Warlord Games, which is why I was curious.

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Quote Originally Posted by Volunteer View Post
    Hahaha, no passion there!
    So which one was that? Surely not Axis & Allies.....?
    The failure was D&D4e, but the same team also did all their miniatures lines: AAM, War at Sea, Angels 20. I was Land/Sea, didn't buy the planes because I was already committed to Wings.

Yes, I'm still salty a decade later... one of my Powerball Win List dreams is to buy Avalon Hill from Hasbro, put Larry Harris back in the driver's seat for boardgames and get the original team back together for Minis. Before that I was a rabid WOTC supporter; since, they can DIAF for all I care.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB
    Historical Consultant to Ares, Wings and Sails - Unless otherwise noted, all comments are strictly Personal Opinion ONLY and not to be taken as official Company Policy.