Thread: Magazines and Journals

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    James

Default Magazines and Journals

Hi all,

Curious what everyone's favorites naval and nautical periodicals are. I know everything is at the touch of a button online, but I love a good read showing up through the mail slot!

James

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Fraid I only read books these days Jim. Lots of naval stiories on Kindle, and Hardback for Non Fiction stuff. However The Society for Naval Research has a journal. https://snr.org.uk/

Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    James

Thanks Rob. I actually just came across SNR's The Mariner's Mirror earlier today and gave me the thought for this post. Looks like I know what I'll be getting!

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

You may just have started a very worthwhile thread here James. We might find that some of our more informed bretheren can give us a better list to help other shipmates in future.

Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    James

Another periodical I am familiar with is the Maritime Museum of San Diego's Mains'l Haul. My understanding is that it is primarily focused on upon Pacific maritime history especially that at und San Diego, and vessels in the collection (the Museum is home to HMS Surprise). Specifically, I picked up their issue on the War of 1812's Pacific operations.