Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What's on your workbench for April.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I did consider it at the time, but the only furnace I had was for Aluminium casting and did not get hot enough for brass casting. I would have needed a blown furnace for that and they were expensive.

Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Name:  20200422_183718.jpg
Views: 310
Size:  112.7 KB

My newest island is coming along.

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    I did consider it at the time, but the only furnace I had was for Aluminium casting and did not get hot enough for brass casting. I would have needed a blown furnace for that and they were expensive.

Rob.
    I was thinking more along the line of a silicon rubber mold and resin casts Rob. Don't really need real brass for modeling & gaming, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Dobbs View Post

Very nice Dobbs. It fits well with your privateer island.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Volunteer View Post
    I was thinking more along the line of a silicon rubber mold and resin casts Rob. Don't really need real brass for modeling & gaming, right?
    Probably cheaper to just buy the ready cast lead/ pewter alloy ones, if you vector in the time factor and fiddle in doing your own.

Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Probably cheaper to just buy the ready cast lead/ pewter alloy ones, if you vector in the time factor and fiddle in doing your own.

Rob.
    But where's the fun in that?
    Besides, they don't make them small enough. I suppose 3D printing would be the ticket. But I am afraid that new tech is beyond this old brain.
    Last edited by Volunteer; 04-23-2020 at 09:25.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Work vs playtime Vol.

Casting of any sort is no longer a magical moment for me.

Rob.

Finished this little guy a few days ago.
    This is Langton's two gun sloop, part of their Great Lakes War of 1812 line.
    Unfortunately I am not sure what ship this could be. On Lake Erie there was a sloop on both the US and British sides. But the USS Trippe carried just one 24 pounder long gun and the HMS Little Belt had three guns, one 12 pounder long gun and two 6 pounder long guns.
    I couldn't find record of any sloops on Lake Ontario at all.
    With the 15 star US ensign:
    Name:  20200419_172531.jpg
Views: 306
Size:  197.6 KB
    Name:  20200419_172618.jpg
Views: 300
Size:  219.1 KB
    Name:  20200419_172628.jpg
Views: 293
Size:  210.3 KB
    Name:  20200419_172636.jpg
Views: 299
Size:  236.5 KB
    Name:  20200419_172709.jpg
Views: 297
Size:  238.0 KB

With the Royal Navy red ensign:
    Name:  20200419_172824.jpg
Views: 288
Size:  205.7 KB
    Name:  20200419_172938.jpg
Views: 287
Size:  181.6 KB
    Name:  20200419_172956.jpg
Views: 288
Size:  201.8 KB
    Last edited by Volunteer; 04-23-2020 at 11:28.

Midshipman
    Spain

Log Entries
    Name
    Ferrante

Wow, really nice. I like the colours you have used here. Thank you for sharing.

Midshipman
    Spain

Log Entries
    Name
    Ferrante

Great Job. I like this kind of ships. We need rules to include them on SOG.
    I hope some day we have an expansion pack. May be 1812 war, or may be Age of Pirates.

Midshipman
    Spain

Log Entries
    Name
    Ferrante

That’s me again
    I have more time yesterday and today . And I made this coast are or Island and fortress

Name:  B8725447-5C35-4FFD-A4CA-12B73CAD08D1.jpg
Views: 278
Size:  218.8 KB

Name:  D23ADC7A-2410-4BA6-9E28-9351CF83ECF9.jpg
Views: 232
Size:  209.0 KB

Midshipman
    Spain

Log Entries
    Name
    Ferrante

That’s me again
    I have more time yesterday and today . And I made this coast are or Island and fortress

Name:  B8725447-5C35-4FFD-A4CA-12B73CAD08D1.jpg
Views: 278
Size:  218.8 KB

Name:  D23ADC7A-2410-4BA6-9E28-9351CF83ECF9.jpg
Views: 232
Size:  209.0 KB

Nice looking island fort Ferrante. I like the sandstone colour of the walls.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Maybe they just intended it as a generic Sloop.
    You could always drop Ron langton an E-Mail and ask if he can enlighten you.
    A very neat and well constructed rendition bye the way Vol.

Rob.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Today's project was an easy one.

.Name:  20200424_095351.jpg
Views: 265
Size:  170.7 KB

Brig in a Bottle

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    John

Vol I missed your post, the ship is nice but I really like what you did with the scenery behind it, I was thinking about using clear pvc to show the sea breaking on my cliffs, did you post any pictures of the making of these.
    I did have a quick scan of your blog the other day but didn't see anything.

I couldn't decide what I wanted to do at the base of the cliffs, beach on card, beach on pvc or neither, the jury is still out at the moment.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I have some liquid resin made for railway model makers scenics. i use it frequently to fill moats or stream beds. I also have a bottle by the same manufacturers which says it is specifically for waterfalls and rapids. I have not yet had a cause to employ it, but might just run a trial to see how it performs.

Rob.

Maybe they just intended it as a generic Sloop.
    You could always drop Ron langton an E-Mail and ask if he can enlighten you.
    A very neat and well constructed rendition bye the way Vol.

Rob.
    Probably so. The last time I contacted him about one of his models that was the case - his 28 gun schooner.
    And thankyou for the rep Rob

Today's project was an easy one.

.Name:  20200424_095351.jpg
Views: 265
Size:  170.7 KB

Brig in a Bottle
    Hahaha! Now why didn't I think of that?

Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
    Vol I missed your post, the ship is nice but I really like what you did with the scenery behind it, I was thinking about using clear pvc to show the sea breaking on my cliffs, did you post any pictures of the making of these.
    I did have a quick scan of your blog the other day but didn't see anything.

I couldn't decide what I wanted to do at the base of the cliffs, beach on card, beach on pvc or neither, the jury is still out at the moment.
    Hi John,
    If you go back to the web version of the blog and select the "Terrain" label from the list, the island and harbour construction are there.

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Volunteer View Post
    Hi John,
    If you go back to the web version of the blog and select the "Terrain" label from the list, the island and harbour construction are there.
    Thanks I'll have a look at that. Almost all the coastline and islands that folk make are on a base for obvious reasons of structural integrity. The only jarring note for me, is that they have to paint some of it as sea and it's always a different colour to the sea mat they are using, that was the main reason I thought of using clear pvc but I can see it isn't the perfect solution. Mind you, what is?

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

If you have a look at my constructions John you will see that they only include the beach, and in the harbour, I even cut out the dry dock for the ship beung masted so that when placed on the mat it looks as if the water is behind the lock gates so that the ship there is floating.

https://sailsofglory.org/content.php?44-Harbours

Rob.

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    John

If you have a look at my constructions John you will see that they only include the beach, and in the harbour, I even cut out the dry dock for the ship beung masted so that when placed on the mat it looks as if the water is behind the lock gates so that the ship there is floating.

https://sailsofglory.org/content.php?44-Harbours

Rob.
    I'd noticed that on the cliffs but not the dry dock. I like what you did with the fallen rocks on the beach as well. I am considering making a separate beach for clandestine landings in some of the coves, lots of possibilities.

It's all personal preference and there's no right and wrong way to do things. For example I've removed my pirates the ones posted at the beginning of April from their black bases and mounted them on clear PVC ones because it means they blend in better on ships decks, desert islands and in the local tavern, that's my preference for these figures. I've heard some folk say that's just lazy and wrong.

At the end of the day if you like what you've done that's all that matters.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I quite agree John.

Whatever floats your boat. Talking to Andrea about his game he is of the same opinion. He has no objections to us messing about with his very carefully thought out rule as long as we enjoy the game.
    I actually put my sinking ships on clear because I feel it gives a better impression of a sinking ship.
    My harbour is made modular so that I can change it for different situations. It can range from the bustling seaport in the picture to small cove with a hamlet. Even the Fort Morro plugs into that headland so it can be exchanged for a different fort, or just have cliffs in a headland with no fort. Because the harbour wall sits on the blue mat, it can also be changed in shape and function, so as to maximise its usage. Also to prevent that sense of Deja vu which you can get in games which use the same terrain over and over again.

I'm sure that you will come up with some very novel and interesting ideas of your own very soon, which we will all brazenly poach for our own games.

Rob.

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    John

I actually put my sinking ships on clear because I feel it gives a better impression of a sinking ship.
    This is something I've been thinking about. Cutting the peg off the bottom of the ships, attaching a couple of the small strong magnets and discarding the thick blue bases and using the clear plastic base with the ships wind arcs scribed into the clear plastic with a couple of the same magnets let into it to hold the ships firmly to the base. I think this would give a visually more appealing game but might cause mast breakages due to not having the thick base to get hold of.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

My solution for lower profile bases was to take 80 grit sandpaper and sand a blue base until the vertical edges have almost disappeared. Then I finish with 180 grit to scuff the bottom of the blue base, sanding until the vertical sides are flush with the bottom, but not before the 4 stamping circles dissapear.

Then I hold the ship on the clear base in a blue base with no card and sand the peg down.

I crazy glue my ships to their clear bases, but I have a clear scrap base for the sanding process before gluing.

It takes about 15 minutes a base. I did enough for play originally, and now to one or two whenever the mood strikes me. Most of my ships now have low profile bases.

I was concerned about handling, but it doesn't seem to be a problem.

Here's what my bases end up looking like.

Name:  20200419_190307.jpg
Views: 238
Size:  71.3 KB
    Last edited by Dobbs; 04-25-2020 at 19:02.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

As you say John, with a thin base the temptation to get hold of the ship by the masts is greater, especially when you get small punters playing and the ships are at arm’s length. However, I do like Dobb's solution. I was toying with the idea of doing a thicker see through perspex base which can hold my ship pegs, and just using them for the games which I intended to photograph. That way I would only need a dozen or so bases and could revert to the official ones for games at the shows.

Rob.

Midshipman
    Spain

Log Entries
    Name
    Ferrante

Dobbs I like your solution for the bases .
    It looks better than standard ones
    I am impressed for the ideas and mods we can do for the ships
    Regards

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    John

I agree that Dobbs thinner bases are more aesthetically pleasing than the thick ones, but I was thinking of just using the clear part of the base, I think that would mean removing all the peg on the base of the ship, which to be honest I'm loath to do. Robs idea with a thick clear base so you don't have to remove part of the peg is a good one but I suspect that the thickness of the base would be quite visible, it's the edge rather than to top that I think is distracting.
    I have some 5mm thick Perspex, if I get time tomorrow I'll try and take a pic of a ship on it to see how well it looks.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Hi John.
    Try painting the edge of the perspex with a very pale blue watered down so it is semi transparent and see how that diminishes the outline and also tones the top surface of base into your mat underneath it.
    Rob.

Nice projects, comrades.