Thread: Fleet Rules - input welcome!

Hybrid View

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    James

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    Pretty much the way I play it Eric, excepting that all ships coordinate with the Commodore's ship until the disruption starts and then every ship that can't comply for whatever reason does its own thing from that point onward.

Rob.
    Rob,

Where do you normally place your Commodore in the squadron, in the lead or in the middle? Just curious if this affects the interactions between the ships in the squadron.

Thanks,
    James

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    James

Also, Eric, thanks for the post and getting this thread started! Looks good to me, thanks for the ideas.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by JimBlkHwk View Post
    Rob,

Where do you normally place your Commodore in the squadron, in the lead or in the middle? Just curious if this affects the interactions between the ships in the squadron.

Thanks,
    James
    Depends very much on the senario circumstances, but from preference usually second in the line or in the middle if a large force is in use, and with a repeater Frigate standing off upwind of the flagship if you want to be totally authentic. If you use that method you need to give a preparitory signal and then an execute one card later. An example would be tack in succession. First ship in line chooses that as his next card, plays the one he is on. moves the card up, and executes on the next move. rest of the ships progress to the same point and then tack as they reach it. As all ships have slightly different sailuing and turning speeds, I try to get all my ships with the same deck up front, and any slower ones astern of these, then any jockying to get back into position can be done to the rear and won't much up the approach of the first ships into action. I assume that all captains are sensible enough to take in a reef to avoid running aboard another ship without orders, so all the Commodore needs to signal is if he wants ships to make more sail, or adopt fighting sails.

Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    James

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    Depends very much on the senario circumstances, but from preference usually second in the line or in the middle if a large force is in use, and with a repeater Frigate standing off upwind of the flagship if you want to be totally authentic. If you use that method you need to give a preparitory signal and then an execute one card later. An example would be tack in succession. First ship in line chooses that as his next card, plays the one he is on. moves the card up, and executes on the next move. rest of the ships progress to the same point and then tack as they reach it. As all ships have slightly different sailuing and turning speeds, I try to get all my ships with the same deck up front, and any slower ones astern of these, then any jockying to get back into position can be done to the rear and won't much up the approach of the first ships into action. I assume that all captains are sensible enough to take in a reef to avoid running aboard another ship without orders, so all the Commodore needs to signal is if he wants ships to make more sail, or adopt fighting sails.

Rob.
    Thanks Rob,

Great stuff as always.