Thread: Storage

Hybrid View

Landsman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Default Storage

I recently pitched all of my SoG and WoG boxes that I had stored up in the attic. It was painful being the collector I am. Here is how I store my ships. I kept the plastic inserts and cut out the label from the box and glued them onto the inserts.

-Ski
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Yet another very enterprising method of solving this continuous problem of storage Eric.

Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Very elegant solution. I magnetized the bases and have them on a magnetic sheet but it does not allow for storage with the cards as yours does.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

That has always what has put me off other storage methods Eric.
    I like all my ships with their ship mats and cards plus a pack of action chits together ready for quick deployment and packing up at shows.

Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Landsman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

My concern was always about breakage. Having had to repair quite a few sails due to the initial KS breakage issue, I didn't want to have to deal with that again, so I kept the inserts as they were pretty good at keeping the ships secure. Now the WoG inserts were an easy toss as you are more likely to break the planes trying to get them out. I did this for them.

-Eric
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

My aircraft are also in hangers like that Eric.
    As for sails, since they put th plastic snap over covers on the ships I have had no further breakage of masts save for cack handed punters dropping them or trying to pick them up by the sails.
    For how to mend a mast see the Home page:-

https://sailsofglory.org/content.php...-2-Mast-Repair

I did one of these too, but Nightmoss's pictures are far better than mine for showing the details.

Rob.

Landsman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

I had 4 snapped and did a thread on BGG for the fix back in the day. Really happy with Ares' response to it.

-Eric

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Good to know Eric.
    They were very good about replacements also. I got one replaced and they never even asked for to broken one back, so I did a repaair and had both ships for each side of the card which is really what started me collecting two of everything.
    Rob.

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Those stacking boxes were a good idea, Eric!

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    John

Eric thanks for showing your sails storage method, it was so obvious once I'd seen it but it never occured to me to remove the vacuum formed inners and use them.

I don't travel with my ships or planes and so the planes fit neatly into a drawer storage system but the ships are too tall and so are still in their boxes, but using their inserts they will fit into my drawer system neatly laying on their side.

Smacks himself on the forehead and goes derrrr.

Cheers

Landsman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Edward

Greetings

At the moment my SoG ships are stored upright in their boxes in a large plastic box. The exception are the four from the basic set which are still in the box.

The WoG planes are stored the same way except for 12 or so in a KR multicase. When the Shapeways planes get painted they will probably also go in a multi case foam insert.

Regards

Edward

Landsman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Nick

Quote Originally Posted by Teamski View Post
    I recently pitched all of my SoG and WoG boxes that I had stored up in the attic. It was painful being the collector I am. Here is how I store my ships. I kept the plastic inserts and cut out the label from the box and glued them onto the inserts.

-Ski
    Do you know the brand of these storage bins?

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by pm479 View Post
    Do you know the brand of these storage bins?
    Good to have you alongside Nick, and welcome to the Anchorage.
    Please don't forget to sign on in the Welcome Aboard Forum.

https://sailsofglory.org/forumdispla...Welcome-Aboard

Rob.

Landsman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

They are Sterilite 2 Layer Stack and Carry.

-Eric

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

I find the boxes and blisters don't take as much room if I flatten the boxes and nest the blisters together. Most of my planes are still in boxes while I try to plan out more hangar trays, while my ships are in several organizers that I've found fit them well.

If another wave drops I'm gonna need to rethink the 64-and-smaller cases though... right now I have small 2-deckers in one, 1-deckers in another and both are almost full at 2 ships/cell and 16 cells/case.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB
    Historical Consultant to Ares, Wings and Sails - Unless otherwise noted, all comments are strictly Personal Opinion ONLY and not to be taken as official Company Policy.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I was keeping all my ships in two large portable travel trolly units until I got my new games room. I realized that for shows I only needed a select few, so all my ships are now in two cupboards, and I just select what I want for shows when the time comes to decide what game I'm putting on. Much less trouble than shipping the whole lot about all the time.

Rob.

Landsman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Nick

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondback View Post
    I find the boxes and blisters don't take as much room if I flatten the boxes and nest the blisters together. Most of my planes are still in boxes while I try to plan out more hangar trays, while my ships are in several organizers that I've found fit them well.

If another wave drops I'm gonna need to rethink the 64-and-smaller cases though... right now I have small 2-deckers in one, 1-deckers in another and both are almost full at 2 ships/cell and 16 cells/case.
    Care to share any pictures?

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Quote Originally Posted by pm479 View Post
    Care to share any pictures?
    I'll try to shoot a couple this weekend; the 74s-and-up are in Deep Storage but the smaller-ship cases are still here. If it helps, these are the cases I use:
    https://www.irisusainc.com/extra-lar...eper-kp-xlpho/ for the smaller ships
    http://reallyusefulproducts.co.uk/us..._3litreOrg.php for 74's
    Wave 2 three-deckers and Constitution are enough bigger that I had to bump up to 0.7l Really Useful cases for 'em.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB
    Historical Consultant to Ares, Wings and Sails - Unless otherwise noted, all comments are strictly Personal Opinion ONLY and not to be taken as official Company Policy.

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

As promised if a bit late...
    Name:  20200505_122234[1].jpg
Views: 304
Size:  164.3 KB

Snuck in one of the 74-gun SOLs I still have here to illustrate how I pack those, too.
    Last edited by Diamondback; 05-05-2020 at 14:27.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB

Landsman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Nick

Thanks Diamond for sharing. I am guessing the SOL is in the lower left? It seems like it's in another container than the ones that come with the IRIS box.

I also assume that everything is 'loose' in the individual 4x6 container. Is that correct?

Thanks again!

Landsman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Yeah, thanks for sharing! No problems with the contents and the ships shifting?

-Ski

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Quote Originally Posted by Teamski View Post
    Yeah, thanks for sharing! No problems with the contents and the ships shifting?

-Ski
    They shift a little, but one of these was bouncing around in the back of my aunt's car for months with no ill effects.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB

Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Yup, Bahama is the big box on the bottom photo-case's lid. Correct, and it's not as secure as I'd like but I haven't found time and motivation to make spacers yet.

I also doodled this in Sketchup as the start to designing a display case modeled after a china cabinet... the idea is a large outer case, with this being one removable cell for a single ship.
    Name:  <acronym title=SGN case 6 - cell render complete.jpg Views: 248 Size: 114.2 KB" style="float: CONFIG" />

Idea is that the ship base locks in, and the ship free-floats on its base.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB

Did you lost any masts in the past?

Looks not that shock safe...