Thread: The Hunt for La Santa Maria

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Default The Hunt for La Santa Maria

Saw this on Facebook yesterday. While it's posted as a scenario/mission for Black Seas I see no reason why you couldn't just adapt this for Sails of Glory as well? You don't need to watch the entire video as the pertinent information is right at the beginning. Cheers!

"It's not the towering sails, but the unseen wind that moves a ship."
    –English Proverb

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I agree Jim. Certainly mileage in this. A bit of imagination and hey presto. However, nothing about the system of play shown in the video does anything toi endear me to the game itself.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Rob it is a typical Warlord Games product. A fast play system designed more for punters than age of sail enthusiasts. I am not knocking Warlord per se I do enjoy many of their systems taken for what they are. There are some advanced rules that make Black Seas better but it is not my first choice certainly.

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Thank you for sharing that video, Jim. As you say, the scenario could probably be adapted for Sails of Glory.

Are there any rules for 'red hot shot' in Sails of Glory? I know that it was incredibly risky to use it on board ship.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Non as such Dave. The heating oven and transportation of hot shot on ships made it very unpopular with both Captains and crew plus the very slow rate of fire that it incurred. Even shore batteries with proper ovens for hot shot only used to get off a salvo about every five minutes.
    We did a couple of hot shot Spanish harbour forts games, and allowed for heated shot by saying any special damage chit involving hull or sails may also start a fire. We had two plain chits and one fire chit to draw. If fire came up it inflicted two boxes of fire automatically before it could be put out. if not extinguished on the next move, the explosion rule was invoked. This allowed for the ball embedding itself in the hull or a mast and having to be worked out with extreme care by the crew.
    i stress that these were ad hoc rules made up just for those games, and an sure that some more sophisticated solution can be devised. It takes four turns to light the ovens and a further two to heat shot after the enemy are sighted, even before shot can start to be loaded. Loading hot shot takes double the time of a normal round and this is on the generous side. We found that if the attacking Fleet could sneak round the headland they were in and on the way back out before the hot shot started to land. For the second scenario we introduced a Spanish semaphore tower down the coast. That spiced things up quite a bit.

Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    John

That's quite a novel scenario and with my propensity for ship collisions should be one I would do well in.

Having the wind gauge certainly gives an advantage in this game.