Thread: Separated rules document

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Airborne

Default Separated rules document

I've had the fortune to play a few games of Sails of Glory over the last month. But I am struggling with finding the right rules to play a specific level of play.
    Juggling between pages to figure out what rules are superseded by the standard & advanced rules.

Has anyone created clean sets of the rules at the different levels? I am looking to do so & wanted to see if the work had already been done.

Thanks!

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

As far as I am aware nobody has attempted to do this Airborne.
    I guess most of us just muddled through until we came up with what we liked best and stuck with those.
    Once you have decided which bits from each section you want to use it gradually becomes the norm and the rule book is not needed any more.
    Sorry that I can't give you a more definitive answer, but if anyone out there fancies a challenge whilst quarintined here is you chance to fill in a bit of time and help out a shipmate.

Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    As far as I am aware nobody has attempted to do this Airborne.
    I guess most of us just muddled through until we came up with what we liked best and stuck with those.
    Once you have decided which bits from each section you want to use it gradually becomes the norm and the rule book is not needed any more.
    Sorry that I can't give you a more definitive answer, but if anyone out there fancies a challenge whilst quarintined here is you chance to fill in a bit of time and help out a shipmate.

Rob.
    I'd take it if I could get raw text of the rulebook without having to retype the whole [REDACTED] thing--which would also give me a start on trying to strip them down into a more Duel Pack-suitable booklet, the biggest reason they've cited to me for no DP's.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB
    Historical Consultant to Ares, Wings and Sails - Unless otherwise noted, all comments are strictly Personal Opinion ONLY and not to be taken as official Company Policy.

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Airborne

Rob,

I also did the muddle through thing when I started playing. But now after a couple of years not playing & trying to introduce others to the game it is becoming more difficult. I wanted to copy & paste it out of the rules PDF but it wouldn't let me. Considered screen shots but that might be even harder to keep straight than just retyping it.

Diamondback,

It would be nice to have the text, the Duels packs is an interesting idea. It gets frustrating when Ares has given us half of so many famous duels.

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

The PDF is locked so I can't Copypasta from it, that's the biggest thing stopping me.

DP rules I'm thinking would be even more basic than Basic: no wind direction, Battle Sail only, Center Broadside only. Possibly even only plan one card at a time.
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB
    Historical Consultant to Ares, Wings and Sails - Unless otherwise noted, all comments are strictly Personal Opinion ONLY and not to be taken as official Company Policy.

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

I have made up a sequence of play for the intermediate and advance rules, it should be easy to add rulebook page numbers to this if that helps

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    John

Airborne, - this is from a novice with a limited amount of playing experience but I've used the good Captain Duffs play sequence sheets a couple of times. I believe they cover all the play sequences in sufficient detail to almost play the game with them. What I did was to delete all the rules I wanted to exclude from my game and then printed out the rest that I did want to include on to 1 sheet of paper, the original for the advanced game ran to 2 sheets.

Most of the rules don't need looking up but as he says it's a simple matter to cross reference them to the page number in the rule book to cover the ones you're not sure on.

That's got to be better than retyping the book.

Diamondback - I believe there are apps that can take a jpeg and transfer any text on the picture into a word type document, I looked at doing this some time ago but didn't take it any further so can't be more helpful, but it might be worth a google on it.
    In the past when I've taken a rules pdf I've been able to copy and paste into word to edit the rubbish out and incorporate my brilliant ideas in. I've not come across a locked pdf before so the picture route might be viable but its a lot of work.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Capn Duff View Post
    I have made up a sequence of play for the intermediate and advance rules, it should be easy to add rulebook page numbers to this if that helps
    Yes please Chris, and no I have not forgotten your request re Indi. After Doncaster I reallocated all the ships their original ship logs, but with you having my ship I losttrack of where the mat is so I will redo one as soon as I get a minute to spare.

Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Been lax of late due to ongoing issues, will try and get this completed this week

Ordinary Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Alex

Chris,

Have you posted your summary somewhere? I have this collection of quick references that I think all have some plus and minuses to them. I think some are from this site and others from BGG. One has the page numbers included as you were suggesting.

Quick Reference.zip

Name:  Screenshot 2020-10-08 230509.PNG.jpg
Views: 443
Size:  113.7 KB

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Hi Alex, not quite finished this job due to Other commitments, but it will be completed shortly, I will post here once done.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Did you manage to access the Admiralty Sub forum OK Chris?
    Rob.

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Have completed and will be passing to the Admiralty board to vet.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Thanks Chris.
    Rob.