Thread: Mat/Board Size

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jason

Default Mat/Board Size

How big of a surface do you play on and what kind? I was thinking about getting a second SoG mat, but I might just go with something bigger entirely. I technically have space for 4'x8', but that seems a bit much.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

I have two, cut from blue vinyl from Jo-ann Fabrics. One is 36" x 48" and the other is 60" x 108". I like the big one, because even though the action often only takes place in a portion of it, it really gives a feeling of the expanse of the sea. Of course, it's a little unwieldy and to use it, we have to slide two picnic tables together at our local yacht club.

Here's a link to some pictures of the big one in action:

https://www.sailsofglory.org/showthr...s-Off-Cape-Cod
    Last edited by Dobbs; 03-21-2020 at 08:39.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I also have two mats. One is the size of two Ares mats to fit my games table and the other is 60x96 inches for use at shows. When combined with Chris's we had space enough to do Trafalgar at Doncaster two years ago.

Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

I own three Ares mats and also a large piece of navy blue Leatherex vinyl from Dunelm Mills. I have only used all three mats on two occasions but I did not need all three.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Got my big mat from Dunelm in a sale. Size of four Ares mats for the price of one. that Vinyl is superb and wipes down well after a spilt Port or G&T.
    Rob.
    Last edited by Bligh; 03-25-2020 at 16:09.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

I have 4 of the Sails mats and an 8' x 6' piece of blue fabric that has to be about 20 years old now! For a small game one or two of the Sails mats works. I can attest to the benefit of the larger surface that Dobbs used and I think there are photos in the AAR forum of it.

Now I am being seduced by the fancy commercial mats again because I got a 20% off coupon with my Oak & Iron KS for a Tablewar mat. 6x4 Caribbean sea version:

https://tablewar.com/collections/fat...x4caribbeansea

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

That mat looks a nice piece of kit Eric but at $75 a bit out of my league just for an extra mat.
    If I had seen it first before investing in my two mats I would certainly have been interested.
    I wonder what the postage rate from the States is like for those?
    Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    That mat looks a nice piece of kit Eric but at $75 a bit out of my league just for an extra mat.
    If I had seen it first before investing in my two mats I would certainly have been interested.
    I wonder what the postage rate from the States is like for those?
    Rob.
    Good question I know increases in postage from the UK/EU to the US has been an issue lately. I have also seen very nice mousepad mats from a company in the EU and people tell me the postage to the US is not bad:

https://www.deepcutstudio.com/

I really had no thoughts of spending money on new mats but the more I see these mats in use (much nicer/realistic looking than the Sails mats) the more I am tempted and now I have a discount.....

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Their Waterworld mat looks pretty good Eric.
    I also like the look of the mat carrying case.

Rob.

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    John

I have one of the Ares mats and also the same sort of vinyl from Dunelm Mills about 5' x 4' that Rob has but after much deliberation I bought a 6'x4' Deepcut Studios mouse mat and am extremely pleased with it. I think it's expensive but it cost roughly the same as 4 ships so relatively speaking its not really expensive. The last two AAR's I did show the mat quite well. Apart from the design print looking very nice it is quite matt unlike the piece of blue vinyl I have, I found the light reflecting off the vinyl spoilt the pictures I was taking and that was the prime reason for considering making the change.

I bought the mat carrying case, because I wanted to protect my investment when stored but they come packed in a substantial vinyl bag with poppers on one end to seal it. This is good for storage, I'm not sure how it would stand up to a lot of travel though, but it might be worth seeing before buying the case.

Stats Committee
    2nd Lieutenant
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Bill

I have the 4x6 foot Cigar Box Games "Cold Water" ocean mat (they also make warm water mats for those interested in Pacific and Caribbean mats, as well as all manner of terrain mats for fighting on land, in the air, and in space). Here is a link to them to look at their products:

http://cigarboxbattlestore.bigcartel...r-440-4x6-plus

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

A bit more expensive than some, but the vast variety of mats available is stunning. I love the Caribbean mat.
    I can just envisage my ship cruising through those tropical waters.

Rob.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post

I bought the mat carrying case, because I wanted to protect my investment when stored but they come packed in a substantial vinyl bag with poppers on one end to seal it. This is good for storage, I'm not sure how it would stand up to a lot of travel though, but it might be worth seeing before buying the case.
    Thanks for the tip about the carrying case John, it may well save those people who don't do shows a bit of money.

Rob.

Landsman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

Fabric. It is cheap, covers the entire table and eminently storable. There is a ton of really cool textures out there as well.

-Eric

Quote Originally Posted by Teamski View Post
    Fabric. It is cheap, covers the entire table and eminently storable. There is a ton of really cool textures out there as well.

-Eric
    Can't beat that argument. I have a piece of blue cloth that I have been using for 20 years purchased at JoAnn Fabrics for probably $10. Unfortunately it now has cat hair and beer stains permanently in place along with the creases. It is marked for use with several rules set that require grids like "Hoist the Signal for Close Action" the old PC based rules. But I decided to splurge and get the large sized mousepad style mat. I found that the SoG mats are too small for large convention or club games, and frankly don't look as nice.

I just noticed that we appear to have 2 Eric's from Delaware now! Are you above or below the canal?

Landsman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

I'm in Dover. Great to see another Blue Hen Affectionato....

-Eric

Quote Originally Posted by Teamski View Post
    I'm in Dover. Great to see another Blue Hen Affectionato....

-Eric
    I am in Hockessin.

Also Dobbs is close by in Maryland.

Landsman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Eric

It seems that everybody is "up there." ;)

-Eric