Thread: What's on Your Workbench for March?

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Default What's on Your Workbench for March?

Here's part of my maritime March project:

Name:  20200317_075446.jpg
Views: 149
Size:  209.2 KB

Last month, Suzanne and I extracted [I]Grace[I]'s old engine and removed the engine bed. Now it's going back in. The bed stringers are 3.25" thick white oak. Hard stuff! Cutting them feels very nautical. I can't imagine making a whole frigate out of this stuff.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Lovely piece of timber Dobbs.
    I used to enjoy working with it, but it is a swine for carving.
    Don't see it much over here now, it is mostly Jap Oak at our local timber merchants these days.

Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Is it expensive as well?

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Yes, I am now paying for Oak what I used to pay for Rosewood 20 yrs ago Eric.
    The last Oak I bought at £1,412 per cubic metre cost me £185.32. for a cabinet I was building.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jason

The closest thing I have on my workbench to anything nautical is a squadron of Bristol Beaufighters in RAF Coastal Command colours for Blood Red Skies. I'll post some pictures when I finish the first one. I really need to get back to my smaller craft.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Well I hope to see them all ship shape on the Drome soon then Jason.
    Tim will be pleased. No sails!

Rob.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Everything fits!Name:  20200319_190713.jpg
Views: 163
Size:  203.3 KB

No all I need is an engine. Oh, and some fiberglass, and some paint...

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Well you are getting there Dobbs, and as far as I know there is no shortage of either paint or fiberglass yet!

Rob.

Quote Originally Posted by jasonb View Post
    The closest thing I have on my workbench to anything nautical is a squadron of Bristol Beaufighters in RAF Coastal Command colours for Blood Red Skies. I'll post some pictures when I finish the first one. I really need to get back to my smaller craft.
    This may be a bit off topic but I have been tempted to get some of the Ares Wings WWII models for the Battle of Britain. How to you find the Warlord models and the game?

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jason

Quote Originally Posted by DeRuyter View Post
    This may be a bit off topic but I have been tempted to get some of the Ares Wings WWII models for the Battle of Britain. How to you find the Warlord models and the game?
    TBH, I'm just getting into it and painting up my first planes, so I don't know that I have strong opinions on either yet. I mostly chose to put together a squadron or two, because it's being played at my local game store, rather than a previous attraction to the rules system or models (not to say anything negative about either). Eventually, I'd like to get into Wings anyway for the WWI planes.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jason

I do know that Warlord is in the process of rereleasing its metal models in resin, if that makes any difference.

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jason

Okay, still the wrong period, but I just picked up Cruel Seas and have Victory at Sea on preorder. I think I'll be ordering some SoG-worthy ships and maybe some other stuff from GHQ and Langton (via Waterloo Minis here in the States), but it'll have to wait a while.