Hybrid View

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

For the first time ever I am in a position to play by E-Mail DB as I now have a dedicated games table that can be left set up for as long as it takes.

Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    For the first time ever I am in a position to play by E-Mail DB as I now have a dedicated games table that can be left set up for as long as it takes.

Rob.
    Rob, didn't Eric try playing SoG via email way back towards the beginning of the games release? I might be wrong in recalling this, but I did find an ancient thread where email options for Sails of Glory were discussed. Tabletop Simulator and Vassal are two options that are mentioned.

https://www.sailsofglory.org/showthr...ghlight=vassal
    "It's not the towering sails, but the unseen wind that moves a ship."
    –English Proverb

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmoss View Post
    Rob, didn't Eric try playing SoG via email way back towards the beginning of the games release? I might be wrong in recalling this, but I did find an ancient thread where email options for Sails of Glory were discussed. Tabletop Simulator and Vassal are two options that are mentioned.

https://www.sailsofglory.org/showthr...ghlight=vassal
    Not sure Jim.
    Although I was a founding member, I did not do anything on here for the first couple of years, until I had time off from the Drome.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Not sure Jim.
    Although I was a founding member, I did not do anything on here for the first couple of years, until I had time off from the Drome.
    Rob.
    Thanks, Rob. I could easily be faulty in my memory. Regardless I do hope Eric is doing well. I don't think he's posted here in years?
    "It's not the towering sails, but the unseen wind that moves a ship."
    –English Proverb

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Rob.
    It occurs to me that two or more players playing against an AI would work through email or even through posting here move by move. All players being on the same side, no one would have anything to hide. Of course, the person truly present would have some work cut out for them, but what else is there to do?

Quote Originally Posted by Dobbs View Post
    It occurs to me that two or more players playing against an AI would work through email or even through posting here move by move. All players being on the same side, no one would have anything to hide. Of course, the person truly present would have some work cut out for them, but what else is there to do?
    It's do-able. Would each player need to have a parallel table set-up with a master table?

I do like the Wings of Glory WWI campaign with a scenario posted at the start of each month and everyone involved posts their AAR that month. It's not interactive but it's fun to see the results of everyone for the same mission.

FYI - I'm ready to test the standard rules with the Dobbs modified side slips. It will be USS Thorn versus HMS Swan - sort of based on the USS Wasp versus HMS Reindeer.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowDragon View Post
    FYI - I'm ready to test the standard rules with the Dobbs modified side slips. It will be USS Thorn versus HMS Swan - sort of based on the USS Wasp versus HMS Reindeer.
    That's a good one! Might I suggest if you draw chits, subtract 2 from all of the numerical damage? It makes the little boats last longer (I feel it represents the smaller guns better. 16 18 pdrs do a lot more damage than 16 6 pdrs).

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

That's a good one! Might I suggest if you draw chits, subtract 2 from all of the numerical damage? It makes the little boats last longer (I feel it represents the smaller guns better. 16 18 pdrs do a lot more damage than 16 6 pdrs).
    Dobbs, I've been toying with a similar idea for a while I'll throw out for your consideration...

For each Rate the target ship is LOWER than the firing ship, draw one less Damage chit (to a minimum of 1 draw.) For each rate HIGHER, draw one MORE but also reduce all damage drawn by the same number (to a minimum of 1 unless drawn chit is a 0).
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB
    Historical Consultant to Ares, Wings and Sails - Unless otherwise noted, all comments are strictly Personal Opinion ONLY and not to be taken as official Company Policy.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondback View Post
    Dobbs, I've been toying with a similar idea for a while I'll throw out for your consideration...

For each Rate the target ship is LOWER than the firing ship, draw one less Damage chit (to a minimum of 1 draw.) For each rate HIGHER, draw one MORE but also reduce all damage drawn by the same number (to a minimum of 1 unless drawn chit is a 0).
    Diamondback, I felt that the Ares gunnery system was only weak on the smaller ship end.

If I might plug my method, it is simply if the historical ship was firing less than 9 pdr long guns, subtract 2 from any numeric damage drawn. If the ship is using primarily 9-12 pdrs, subtract 1. It applies to all targets.

Obviously, the probability on specialty hits doesn't change, but those are lucky shots. So your sloop may get a mast hit on a 1st rate, but you're not going to scratch the hull.

If I understand correctly I should subtract 2 from each chit's value, so chits with 1 or 2 are treated as '0's. For the sloops with burden = 1, only chits that are 3 and above are 'hits' on the hull. Seems reasonable.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowDragon View Post
    If I understand correctly I should subtract 2 from each chit's value, so chits with 1 or 2 are treated as '0's. For the sloops with burden = 1, only chits that are 3 and above are 'hits' on the hull. Seems reasonable.
    You got it, Paul!

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I often play AI for Captain Kiwi when he does solo. I can then tutor him in all manner of aspects of the game.
    I should have been doing the same for Captain Smithers on Saturday but the lockdown meant that he could not come over.
    must try and get a game with Speedwell Lass. Family members in the same house are not isolated as yet.
    Rob.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

I was picturing one table with the person running it taking pictures and posting them. A second table could be used to help the person who's not really there visualize it (and play with minis).