Thread: Painting 101

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    James

Default Painting 101

Hi everyone.

I'm sure there may already be a thread here on the topic, but would appreciate your advice or pointing me in the right direction. Want to start doing some painting, but haven't done any before for miniatures. Are there recommendations for type of paints to purchase, or best practices for painting. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Regards,
    James

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

You could do worse than starting here James.

https://sailsofglory.org/content.php...essons-learned
    Then there are many tips by Redcoat in his posts.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    James

Greatly appreciated!

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

For paints my preference is water based acrylic, you can use citadel, vallegio, army painter, all good enough.
    Use these as you can “ wash off” any errors before it dries.
    I prefer using citadel Averland sunset for masts and decks and use army painter off white or ghost grey mixed with white to touch up the sails

James:

Don't overlook craft paints from AC Moore, Micheal's or Hobby Lobby. Some need a bit of thinning but they do work well. Apple Barrel has a color called Golden Brown which works well for masts. Also my go to color for RN masts is a yellow ochre color from American Traditions paints.

After I paint masts and spars I put on a wash using Army Painter tones or Valejo sepia tone which works well on the sails. Obviously you can order some of the game stuff online but if you are in Northern VA there is Huzzah Hobbies or in Glen Burnie MD there is Games & Stuff and both carry painting supplies.

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    James

Thanks everyone for the suggestions! I've also been referred to Huzzah Hobbies and Games & Stuff by a few other individuals. Will be checking them out!

Midshipman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jason

Don't forget to scrub your components off with soapy water and a toothbrush to get off any remaining mold release compound. Otherwise your primer and paint will constantly rub off of any and all edges.

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    James

Good to know! Thanks Jason.