Thread: Ship Mats

Able Seaman
    Australia

Log Entries
    Name
    Gary

Default Ship Mats

I have been looking at getting another Ares ship mat and was wondering how useful the grid lines on them are. I presume they are used to more accurately align miniatures and the wind? Does anyone use them and have any comments please?

Vice Admiral of the Red.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

The grid lines can be a help with wind direction and with defining starting positions. However, many people manage to play the game successfully using other surfaces, which have no grid lines, Gary.

Admiral of the Blue.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

When you look at the wind indicator you can usually align it to one side of the playmat edge. Yhen it is easy enough to get the pointer to the correct angle. However, the lined mats are O.K. as long as you don't intend to photograph an AAR where you want to have a realistic looking shot. it can be a real chore to erradicate all those liones on Photoshop Gary.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

I like those mats for a more accurate moving.

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    John

I have one of the Ares mats but now use a different one without the marking it looks much nicer and I don't have any trouble aligning the wind direction indicators. Mind you I play solo so no argument's from my opponent. I guess if you already have one mat a second might make sense to achieve uniformity.

Ordinary Seaman
    Canada

Log Entries
    Name
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
    I have one of the Ares mats but now use a different one without the marking it looks much nicer and I don't have any trouble aligning the wind direction indicators. Mind you I play solo so no argument's from my opponent. I guess if you already have one mat a second might make sense to achieve uniformity.
    I had intended to get something different than Ares mats but I needed a couple quickly for a WoG campaign scenario and got two Ares mats. So in for a penny in for a pound I now have four for SoG. I will live with it.

Able Seaman
    Australia

Log Entries
    Name
    Gary

Thanks for your replies guys. After reading them I think I will stick with my one mat and blue felt cloth. Not much sense to me buying something that probably will not get used.