Thread: Reducing damage from broadsides

Ordinary Seaman
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Name
    Andrew

Default Reducing damage from broadsides

Sometimes I don't like how ships can fall apart so quickly. I was reminded of this when play-testing a scenario where two ships opened with full double-shot broadsides. Nearly half of both ships' hull and crew boxes were filled on the first turn. In other cases, if one ship is lucky and the other unlucky, the game can be over from the beginning.
    I've seen other threads discussing this matter and which present some ideas for reducing damage taken. I like Dobb's suggestion of reducing damage depending on the size of a ships primary size of artillery (-1 for 12 pounders or less and -2 for 6 pounders or less). Dobbs' suggestion of side-specific damage is also interesting, though I'm not sure I'm ready to adjust the game to this extent yet, especially for scenarios with a number of ships.
    So far, I've decided to generally not use the "First Broadside" rule. In a way I feel that this historically-correct situation is already taken care of since the first hull box or boxes have larger broadside numbers anyway and are usually blasted away after the first turn or two.
    Now I'm wondering if there is a way to reduce the strength of double shot. One suggestion I saw was to only allow double-shot at C/D range. However, I feel this could lead to double shot being used too little since it is often too tricky to move this close given the game's different scales for artillery range and movement.
    Thus I've considered the following house rule for double shot:
    At B range, draw the correct number of A damage counters, but only half the number of B damage counters (agreeing to round odd numbers up or down at the start of the game).
    At C/D range, draw the correct number of A and B damage counters, as per the rules. (Alternatively, one could draw the correct number of B counters and half the number of A counters).
    I have not play-tested this and haven't considered how this might work with carronades.
    Any thoughts on this idea or other simple ways of sometimes reducing damage for games are welcome!

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Your observations are what led to my side specific rules, but you are right, Andrew, that a game with lots of ships does turn into a heck of a brawl. Our last engagement with 8 ships of the line lasted more than 7 hours. Of course there was beer and pizza too...

We play that double shotted guns have a range of C/D for the A/B damage. Out to short range they do Ax2.
    Last edited by Dobbs; 02-12-2020 at 16:17.

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

If you wanna reduce damage, just double the Burden and otherwise game-on as usual. Quick and easy. Personally, I'd refine that by splitting the Hull damage track into Left and Right tracks also...
    --Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB
    Historical Consultant to Ares, Wings and Sails - Unless otherwise noted, all comments are strictly Personal Opinion ONLY and not to be taken as official Company Policy.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I like the quick and easy bit DB. The older I get the more it appeals. Having said that, however,
    it reminded me why I stopped playing with ships some forty odd years ago, and then rekindled my appetite for the game when Sails was released. I well remember the early days of Sails where we got a game set up played and packed away in an hour which is what got me playing again.

Now that seven hour game seems to be more the norm for my solo play, and not half so boring, or check list orientated as the old rules seemed to make things. The actual action seems much quicker than I remember it from those early years.
    It is great that we have this arena where we can add extra rules to the simple basic Ares ones, and make further amendments to suit our own needs and perceptions of the game. As a debating arena it seems to be one of the most vibrant areas on the Anchorage.
    Thanks for all your input chaps, and long may it continue.

Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Sjörövarfabbe, you probably already know that I have seen that problem too and what solution I chose. I use the same damage as written, but have the shorter ranges. I feel that has the benefit of fitting best with historical results. Victory could do a short range double shotted stern rake and more or less knock a ship of the line out of the game while still not decide every battle in the first broadside. It becomes a tactical choice where you actually risk something by double shotting.

Ordinary Seaman
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Name
    Andrew

Thank you all for your input!
    Certainly Sails of Glory is designed in a way that makes some room for introducing modifications. It's nice to introduce house rules that tweak the game towards what feels like a better representation of historical actions of the period. That the game is reasonably fast is one of the main attractions for me. 24 hr games or more were something I had time for long in the past. 1-2 hrs feels about right now though sometimes more is possible. Quick and easy house rules are generally what I'm looking for!
    TexaS>> I certainly appreciate your point about the Victory knocking a ship out in its first pass with double-shot.
    I guess keeping the C/D range damage as is, but maybe not allowing or reducing the B range damage for double-shot makes sense. I like the Ax2 idea... Doubling the burden is also good - and tracking side specific damage on the hull track is actually not hard - I hadn't thought of that simple alternative to using Dobbs' side-specific damage charts.
    Now I have plenty of ideas to try out... better get sailing...

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    James

For the reduction of damage based on size of artillery, does this mean you run out of boxes more quickly (as the boxes would zero out) or do you set a minimum number for broadside damage assuming one, at least for the full/center battery?

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

I would control the damage dished out simply by awarding fewer chits for each broadside delivered Jim.

Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    James

Rob,

That makes sense. Sorry if my question wasn't fully clear. If my broadside ia supposed to deal 2 damage, but the weight of my cannon has a -2 modifier, is my cannonade essentially done early, or is there a minimum damage inflicted, so that the ship will still have the same number of broadside boxes available for its own use.

James

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

It would mean that effective fire may be curtailed early, but if you still have boxes open and the, chit or chits left scored more than 2, it should still count.
    Rob.

Stats Committee
    Master & Commander
    United States

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Dobbs

Here's my solution:

https://sailsofglory.org/showthread....Weight-of-Shot

Bear in mind, this is reducing the number shown on the chits, not the number of chits.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

That's what I was attempting to say obviously very badly Dobbs.
    Rob.

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    James

Thanks Rob!

I think I was mistaken myself ��. For the subtraction for smaller armament, is that number of chits drawn or number of damage inflicted?

-James

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Damage inflicted Jim.
    Rob.

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    James

Rob and Dobbs,

Much appreciated. Make perfect sense. I was just confused initially and thought it meant chits not damage. Excited to give this a try.

James