Thread: Boardgame Geek Campaign for Sails of Glory

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Default Boardgame Geek Campaign for Sails of Glory

This may be of interest to SoG folks looking for a grand campaign? Einar Wetaas is planning on releasing a 16 scenario campaign dealing with the American War for Independence as seen from the British side. Initial description is as follows:

Something is coming…………

Timeline 1775-1783……………

A new nation rises……………

Seen through the eyes of the mighty English Navy……

16 scenarios………

Here's the direct link with a description of the scenarios:

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/2366261/campaign-news

Cheers!
    "It's not the towering sails, but the unseen wind that moves a ship."
    –English Proverb

Nice storyline.

Let‘s see how‘s filled with details (ships, setup, etc.)

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Looks like a refreshing change Jim.
    Thanks for the Heads up.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

It looks good. Let's see how it develops.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

The campaign is up on Boardgame Geek. Links below if interested. I won't directly link the .pdf file, but Einar has that up on BBG download files section. It's 39 pages, haven't read it through, but I suspect it might appeal to folks here? Enjoy.

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/237...-revolutionary
    –English Proverb

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Not being a boardgame geeker I could not access the files but from what has been said it looks like a great idea for a campaign.
    Rob.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Einar is going to send me the .pdf file so I can post it here. I expect the file will have to be verified first before posting, but I'll let folks know when I actually receive it.
    –English Proverb

Landsman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Dave

Uploaded the campaign file to the moderation queue for those of you not on BGG. Looks good on first glance. Enjoy!

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Thanks Dave. Rob, (or whoever moderates files), please give full credit to Einar J. Wetaas for his work. fyi, I also have the file on my computer, which I've already scanned for potential issues. It's all clean according to Windows Defender. Cheers.
    –English Proverb

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    John

Thanks to you both for this, I did try BGG but couldn't download the file there, if possible can you put a link to the SOG file when it's cleared? It will be a couple of months before I play another game and am working my way through the 2015 scenarios first but this sounds like it would fit in well when I'm through those.
    Cheers

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Jim and Dave, I submitted the Board Game Geek Campaign File to the Files moderation list yesterday. I did credit Einar J. Wetaas as the author. I suspect that is a 'nom de plume'.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Naharaht View Post
    Jim and Dave, I submitted the Board Game Geek Campaign File to the Files moderation list yesterday. I did credit Einar J. Wetaas as the author. I suspect that is a 'nom de plume'.
    Thanks David. Once the file is approved and accessible I'll let Einar know. btw, I doubt this is a pen name, but I suppose that's possible.
    –English Proverb

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Joseph

I'm actually surprised that this is the first I've seen of this here. Wetaas has something like 6 different campaigns on BGG. They are beautiful passion projects, with fantastic presentation, historical research/fluff, and a great arc to the campaign. I honestly haven't seen better scenarios or campaigns on any other forum, or even officially from Ares. I have them all printed out and in a binder, and strongly suggest them.

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Joseph

I also suggest everyone just make an account on boardgame geek so that the creator can get recognition. It takes seconds and is a great source for very refined player aids and files for the game

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Have you chaps asked Keith to OK the posting in the files because I don't have the permissions for that.
    Rob.

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Rob, I have followed your suggestion and sent a personal message to Keith asking him to reject the document, if he thinks it will upset Board Game Geek.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Thanks Dave.
    Rob.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Naharaht View Post
    Rob, I have followed your suggestion and sent a personal message to Keith asking him to reject the document, if he thinks it will upset Board Game Geek.
    To my knowledge Einar is not an employee of BGG, and his work is his intellectual property, not the property of BGG. As others have suggested joining BGG is free and pretty effortless, so if the .pdf files are rejected here I strongly encourage you to join and take advantage of Einar's SoG postings there.

I'll also add that you're more likely to see postings from Andrea Angiolino there than you will here. In fact, he just commented on crew training differences on the Sails of Glory forums on February 20th.

Cheers.
    –English Proverb

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    John

Quote Originally Posted by InjunJ03 View Post
    I'm actually surprised that this is the first I've seen of this here. Wetaas has something like 6 different campaigns on BGG. They are beautiful passion projects, with fantastic presentation, historical research/fluff, and a great arc to the campaign. I honestly haven't seen better scenarios or campaigns on any other forum, or even officially from Ares. I have them all printed out and in a binder, and strongly suggest them.
    I've got unlimited internet and electricity today so I'll see if I can get to the files on BGG. I have an account but of course can't remember my password or which email account I set it up with. If there are 6 different campaigns there it sounds well worth the effort.
    Thanks for the information.
    Cheers

Midshipman
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    John

OK downloaded lots of info from BGG.

Thanks to both Jim (Nightmoss) and Joseph (InjunJ03) I have what look like some very interesting reading.
    Thanks again.

Admiral of the White
    Admiral
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Vagabond View Post
    OK downloaded lots of info from BGG.

Thanks to both Jim (Nightmoss) and Joseph (InjunJ03) I have what look like some very interesting reading.
    Thanks again.
    You're quite welcome. I doubt you'd find a more enthusiastic supporter of Sails of Glory on BGG than Einar.
    –English Proverb

Able Seaman
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    Joseph

Glad you found some good documents. I also find the players aid, ship runthrough, ship sheet generator excel file, and total manifest of all ships by nation excel file to be invaluable documents. Worth trolling through the file sections and finding anything of interest.

I would second the recommendation to open a BGG account. You can also use it to track your game inventory. There are a surprising number of strictly miniatures games represented as well.