Thread: Ahoy - a new swabbie taking the plunge

Default Ahoy - a new swabbie taking the plunge

..or walking the plank.

Originally from the Canadian prairies, which has produced many fine sailors for the Canadian navy.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Good morning Paul.
    I see you have preempted my welcome message, so just ignore the bit about making yourself known to your shipmates.
    Please allow me to now give you a formal welcome to the Anchorage on behalf of all your shipmates here, who I'm sure will be along to welcome you themselves when they can drag themselves out of their hammocks, or come off watch.
    Until that time sail safe, and I will see you in the Wardroom for a little welcoming winter warmer.
    Bligh.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Welcome to the Anchorage, Paul.

Admiral, sir, I just returned from a short stay at my residence. As soon as my ship is refitted I will be ready for duty.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

That is indeed good to hear Captain.
    I trust that you had a good leave, and that your first officer has seen to the restocking of your vessel.
    Bligh.
    The Business of the commander-in-chief is first to bring an enemy fleet to battle on the most advantageous terms to himself, (I mean that of laying his ships close on board the enemy, as expeditiously as possible); and secondly to continue them there until the business is decided.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Always, sir!

Quote Originally Posted by Bligh View Post
    Good morning Paul.
    I see you have preempted my welcome message, so just ignore the bit about making yourself known to your shipmates.
    Please allow me to now give you a formal welcome to the Anchorage on behalf of all your shipmates here, who I'm sure will be along to welcome you themselves when they can drag themselves out of their hammocks, or come off watch.
    Until that time sail safe, and I will see you in the Wardroom for a little welcoming winter warmer.
    Bligh.
    Thanks, Rob / Bligh. I figured it was a pre-formatted message.

Just damaged the credit card and ordered a starter set, mats and 4 extra ships which should arrive this week. Keen to see how the game plays - in particular its suitability for solo play.

Quote Originally Posted by TexaS View Post
    Welcome to the Anchorage, Paul.

Admiral, sir, I just returned from a short stay at my residence. As soon as my ship is refitted I will be ready for duty.
    Thanks, Jonas.

Some of my real life connection with things nautical....that's me on the right of the picture getting a commendation from Vice Admiral Ron Buck who was Vice Chief of Defence Staff at the time.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	VCDSCommendation.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	136.5 KB 
ID:	47979
    Last edited by ShadowDragon; 02-10-2020 at 07:09.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Congratulations on your award Paul. As far as I know the most senior member of the Royal navy that I know is a lt commander.
    So you take the trick.
    Rob.

Congratulations on your award Paul. As far as I know the most senior member of the Royal navy that I know is a lt commander.
    So you take the trick.
    Rob.
    Probably for the best. if you got in Ron Buck’s way it wouldn’t go well for you. I was fortunate and was in his good books.

Bonjour Paul.

Welcome on board.

Midshipman
    Australia

Log Entries
    Name
    Gary

Welcome to the forums. May you always enjoy your games and the friendship of your fellow addicts here.

Captain of the Fleet
    Captain
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    Chris

Welcome toyou Paul, fromhere in Bristol uk

Thanks for the welcome, mates.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Quote Originally Posted by ShadowDragon View Post
    Thanks, Jonas.

Some of my real life connection with things nautical....that's me on the right of the picture getting a commendation from Vice Admiral Ron Buck who was Vice Chief of Defence Staff at the time.
    Congratulations! That's impressive.

My real life nautical connection is more... civilian.

That's me on the left.

Quote Originally Posted by TexaS View Post
    Congratulations! That's impressive.

My real life nautical connection is more... civilian.

That's me on the left.
    That looks like it was fun.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

Great action shot Jonas.
    Do you have any more like that one?
    Rob.

Comptroller of the Navy Board
    Captain
    United States

Log Entries
    Name
    [RESTRICTED]

--Diamondback
    PMH, SME, TLA, BBB
    Historical Consultant to Ares, Wings and Sails - Unless otherwise noted, all comments are strictly Personal Opinion ONLY and not to be taken as official Company Policy.

Stats Committee
    Captain
    Sweden

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Jonas

Great action shot Jonas.
    Do you have any more like that one?
    Rob.
    It's from this thred, Rob:
    La Grace

You just made me go through it again and remember that wonderful time in Italy.

Admiral of the Fleet.
    Baron
    England

Log Entries
    Blog Entries
    Name
    Rob

How on earth did I not remember that picture from the wonderful set of photos you presented us on that dccassion Jonas. Thanks for drawing me back to them once again.

Rob.

Admiral. R.I.P.
    Admiral
    UK

Log Entries
    Name
    David

Welcome to the Anchorage, Paul. If you have any questions about the game, feel free to ask them. You will find the members here are very friendly and helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Naharaht View Post
    Welcome to the Anchorage, Paul. If you have any questions about the game, feel free to ask them. You will find the members here are very friendly and helpful.
    Thanks, David.

Just got my Starter set plus 4 additional ships yesterday but won't be able to try a game until some time next week. No doubt questions will crop up.